Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap, go! I used to play this years ago all the time and was something around 11k in AGA. I should start playing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm guessing this crazy anime poo poo means I'm in the right room on KGS. Nobody's on though :(

I used to play go a lot, I mean a LOT when I was a kid - read books on attack and defense and such in middle school/high school, played it online, but now it's been like 6-7 years since I really played. I was rated a long time ago at 9k, but now I am probably a horrible horrible player and I want to play with people who will not think I am retarded for this!

I'll be around anyway, play go with me pleasssseeee.

e: I took the test cold and got european 6k, which I am happy with V:shobon:V

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 2, 2010

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna go ahead and resurrect this thread to say, I'm on the gopanda2 pandanet go server as 'littleprof,' I've managed to go 5-5 with players from 9k-11k since joining. Anyone in here still playing? Wouldn't mind some goon games. (this place: http://pandanet-igs.com/communities/gopanda2)

The client seems to have no 'undo' button, so....place your stones carefully!

I've also played a bunch of games with my dad, who seems to inexplicably have my number despite rating as 14k so far on the server. Literally everyone else I have played and defeated has been 9k-11k. No fair using fatherly knowledge to your advantage :mad:

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 7, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Observe lots of games, and not just high level ones. Observing lower ranked players can be a great way to get yourself tuned up too. I observe 5-10 games for every game I actually play.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I somehow manage to get worse with every game I play lately. I study books, I watch games, I play games, I go back and look at my games, yet somehow, the level of player I am able to beat gets lower and lower every day. Ugh. I don't know what happened, I used to be able to do this :\

When I started playing again I was almost beating 9k players on this server. Now I resign within 50 moves against 14k players. I have some kind of fast-progressing brain damage or something

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 18, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Overwined posted:

Don't feel bad, friend. I think a lot of people go through this. I suspect it's knowing enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be useful on command. Also, there's so much to know and be good at that you'll find a guy who is good only in the one area that you're bad and he'll steamroll you.

I creamed an 11k player right after posting this, of course....

I tend to be a little weak in the early game but dangerous w/r/t cutting off and killing groups of stones in the middle and end game. Basically, I'm good at catching people with dick moves

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I've got a lot of my go mojo back now that I've played about 150 games on pandanet. Right now to win I constantly tell myself while playing:

-play dual-purpose moves
-move three away from a two-stone thickness
-focus on table shapes, 3-stone 'fish hook' shapes, and L shapes
-connect!!!!!!!!!!

I've also been reading casually through some basic joseki books, practicing corner joseki on an empty board by myself, and watching a lot of games, trying to guess what each player will do move-by-move. Been winning against 12k, 12k+, and 11k players, but I haven't been brave enough to go much further. Also been reading through the life and death and tesuji books.

This game is fuckin awesome

I don't think there is anything in the world more frustrating than leading all game by 30 points, making one single mistake, literally one mistake, and suddenly being down 40 points.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 5, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Played an 8D+ player last night with 9 handicaps and only lost by 2.5 points. I am very proud of this loss.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why do people go on servers and purposefully get their rank low just so they can challenge people that are much, much lower ranked than them without handicaps? Like...why would you do that. It has happened to me 3 times today. It's incredibly obvious when people do this, and it's really frustrating because I hate having my rating tanked like that. Oh well, I guess people will be dicks about literally any game, even go.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know, I know, I shouldn't care about my rating. It's hard, I'm a product of ladder-system competitive video games and the culture around them.

I'm 12k+ on Pandanet now, which is where I seem to be stabilizing. I have a 76-76 win/loss record, finally got it back to breaking even tonight! I love this game, even if I get frustrated by it...um...sometimes(a lot(every drat time I play it))).

Overwined posted:

Yeah, I had a 1d challenge me (11k) to a ladder match on OGS and I left him nice comments about his valiance in the Malkovich Logs.

we seem to be pretty close in ranking, though I don't know how Pandanet and OGS compare. We should play some games!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've had the same issues with sticking with go. I'm kinda determined to keep doing it forever now, though, because my mind just feels healthier when I've been playing go. It's like competitive meditation.

I just got on OGS a couple days ago, and it's got me at 11k right now. I'll send a challenge for a correspondence game, I like those just as much as any other.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

areyoucontagious posted:

What does your go schedule look like? Do you play every day? Read books every day? Do tesuji every day? I'm trying to get back in, and I'm trying to figure out how to stick with it this time.

I play 5-10 games a day right now and I read my Life and Death, Tesuji, or Joseki books while on the elliptical at the gym for an hour each day. 'Lose 100 games as fast as you can' is the best advice I can give you for getting back into it and sticking with it - get over your fear and anxiety about losing and your interest in the game for its own sake will flourish.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

areyoucontagious posted:

Surprisingly it's less about losing for me! I suck at most things in life so I didn't expect go to be different. My problem is time. I need to set time aside to play.

Also fuckin lol at 5-10 games. Do you play full 19x19 games? Are they blitz?

I play a couple games with my dad each night on pandanet, and we usually have an hour main time for those, so they go long sometimes. Otherwise, I play games with 1 minute main time/10 minutes per 25 stones time and they usually don't take all that long, maybe 30 minutes tops. I play several blitz games a day too, usually. Now that I type this out I realize that I have been playing an absolute poo poo load of Go lately and I am OK with that. e: I haven't ever really played 9x9 or 13x13, 19x19 is life. I'm curious about 17x17 though.

Zesty Mordant posted:

Usually I'll play a game after having not for several months, and about 100 moves in start to think "poo poo I have so much else I need to do, gently caress, why did I start this, augh think think" and then start making random or dumb moves until the other guy does a 30-stone kill because I connected but only made false eyes and I resign. ymmv

Same, except without the 'having not for several months' part. I do this at least once a day.

In the last couple years I've drifted away from doing all the things I did as a younger man to obsessive excess, like playing league of legends, playing music, even smoking weed and doing drugs. I've just stopped doing much but sitting around waiting for the next obligation and trying to get myself to play a lot of go, like, sit there and waste my god drat time doing it, is my effort to revive the part of myself that gave a poo poo about things and did them just because I like doing them. Might sound weird, but whatever. I hate that Ive forgotten how to just sit around and relax and play a drat game for a few hours when I have time. And playing Go is a much healthier thing to sit around doing with my free time than league of legends. Hell, even drugs is healthier than league of legends

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 22, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Last night I played a game where I killed literally every stone my opponent placed, but he just kept putting down stones, refusing to end the game. Eventually he stopped making moves and his time ran out, but the game never ended for some reason, so I just went to bed. I checked this morning and it had me as resigning, even though I was the last person to make a move. Why the gently caress would someone cheat at go? Like....really. Why.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VikingofRock posted:

What server? Usually you can report people like that.

pandanet-IGS. I reported him. Also, I just got promoted to 11k on pandanet! Progress!! Woop!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pander posted:

Someone explain this poo poo to me

https://online-go.com/game/7277359

why play the game that dead for that long?

what's the goal? Hope I time out or accidentally hit the resign button?

Yes. Someone did this to me recently and somehow got his time to run out, but the game wouldn't end, so I just went to bed and it somehow recorded as ME resigning.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

derp posted:

Yet im still only ~5k after over 3 years...

I've been playing my whole life and I'm only 11k :( but I've only been focusing and trying to get better for like two months now after a long break from playing, and before that I never really focused either.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

derp posted:

Do you read any books, get reviews etc? 11k is where i got to 'Naturally' just by playing a lot. Got stuck there for a while then read fundamentals and went up 3 stones pretty much over night

Yeah, reading books is how I've been improving over the last couple months, along with playing tons of games of course. I'm getting there! I beat a 9k player the other day, so I feel like I have hope for the future.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just won a game by 0.5 points wherein I feel like I played pretty well throughout against a 12k player. I know it's some low rank nonsense but it was a great game so I uploaded the SGF for anyone who feels like watching a close one!

https://files.fm/u/xvg76x7k

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone have some good material for learning general good hobbies and practices? I’ve gone through the interactive tutorial in the OP, done a good chunk of problems at this site, and watched a fair amount of Sibicky videos, but it all seems a bit…above me? Like I’m missing the fundamental habits and not “getting” what I should be aiming for. I’ve been playing igowin, and seem to float back and forth between its 20k-16k range and can’t really seem to improve and I feel like almost no matter what move I make, it’s the wrong move.

I’m kind of at the stage where I know I need to aim for eyes and make good shapes and stuff like that, but how to actually go about doing that and what to avoid doing is what escapes me. Most stuff online seems to assume you either know all this stuff already, or know nothing about the game at all.

Opening Theory Made Easy is a great volume for this. I think you can find it online if you look; at least, I have a PDF of it I got somewhere, though I've bought the book like twice before as well.

Also, lose 100 games as fast as you can

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 5, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Up to 11k+ now.....I know online go servers are hardly the best metrics for this, but I'm excited to see progress in my game! I just finished reading through the James Davies books 38 Basic joseki, life and death, tesuji, and attack and defense all the way through each, and I'm probably just gonna start over and do it again, repeatedly reading them until it's baked into my brain. I'd really like to claim shodan one day even if it's just on an internet server.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You guys must just have brains that are good for Go or something. :staredog:

I'll catch up one day, daggumit.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll play you to warm you up, old timer. 9k is probably the best I have a chance of beating on my best day currently, and I constantly make critical mistakes in pretty much every area of the game

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got promoted to 10k on pandanet :woop: and even won my first game as white against an 11k+ by 46.5 points! It is a good day. I need more go books to read, or maybe I'll just read the Davies series again to keep absorbing it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Overwined posted:

I can see how it must be daunting to play AlphaGo. It just coldly and nonchalantly tightens the noose, one point at a time. Then it makes an exchange and gives up 5 points to save 3 and you think you've got it. But nah, It was ahead by 10 and the exchange just shored up its other points, ensuring victory.

So far only that one wedge move my Lee Sedol has managed to "fluster" it.

Does it win by the smallest margin possible on purpose? Like, did he actually come close to beating it or is did it just play ultra conservatively to maintain the one point lead that he never really had a chance to get ahead of?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reiterpallasch posted:

There are other bots out there that do play at a high level (Wikipedia claims 1-5d for Facebook's go bot, depending on hardware) and are open-source, though.

e: i'm told that those are amateur dans extrapolated from online go performance, so maybe not as impressive as it sounds?

facebook has a go bot?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at game 9 that they just released, move 52-56 - why? this seems like a genuine boneheaded mistake on black alphago's part. It just made me :psyduck: and I can't find a way to make it not seem like a bad series of moves.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

simply amazing :staredog:

DJ sente...the man...the legend...the loving Dan.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know of any places to buy go apparel? Like, for instance, a shirt that the whole pattern was a go board with a game being played on it. I know how incredibly, ridiculously dorky this sounds. I want it. Hell, I'd wear a hoody like this. Pants and shoes like this. *definitely* socks.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Reached 9k on IGS!

Finally, single digits! Soon, the world!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone play on tygem? I'm thinking of getting on there, because A) you can play for money and B) it seems to be where people such as students from Myongji University's department of baduk studies plays and I am just sort of into that. Also check out this department of baduk studies where you can get a literal masters or doctoral degree in loving go. I'm so jealous. http://www.mjubadukstudies.com/en/

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think a human being will ever defeat alphago ever again. However, I don't think that means that mankind has been 'defeated' because I don't believe a human being could play like alphago. I don't think it's possible. So, while we'll learn a lot from alphago, I don't think it's more than a great study tool for those that have reached the outer limits of human go technique to go further.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shadonra posted:

Look at the result of that sequence. Black's left group started dead, is still dead, but White spent an extra move killing it - Black played 2 moves there and White answered 3 times. So Black got an extra move in the bottom right, at the cost of making White thicker. It's an exchange, not at all a clear mistake.

:psyboom:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Reached 8k on pandanet :woop: I have about 85 more wins than losses, too....movin' on up!! Fuckin' love this game.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how much better than us alphago really is, I can only assume that this is part of its plan.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Don't give up! If you can handle losing a ridiculous number of games before winning one, and you can handle losing games in general after that, then Go is such a rewarding game to play. I find it's very difficult for people who get into it as adults to get over the initial learning curve, though, especially if they don't know anyone IRL to play. I feel like I am only able to improve constantly because I play my dad a couple times a day. I'm 8k, he's 13k, so the rank difference means our games aren't rated because he refuses to use handicaps against me(and he still wins sometimes too, :wtf: ). This lack of pressure from the game not being ranked combined with it being my dad makes it easy for me to improvise and try new things. If you find a regular opponent you feel comfortable losing to, you can improve really fast, basically.

I have no good explanation for why i lose to him at all though, I assume he is weaponizing his fatherly wisdom against me somehow.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've managed to soundly defeat some 8k+ players now....if I can manage to keep my current pace of advancement I could be sportin' a Dan-level ranking sometime next year! That's honestly on my bucket list, and if I get that far then there will be no prying me away from this game. I'll just obsess until I'm 9D or I die.

I wonder if a really skilled player could peg the exact rating of players just by watching a game. Are there particular moves only 8k players make, and particular moves only 7k players make? It's such an abstract game, I feel like someone who is wicked good at one aspect of the game could wind up progressing, but it seems like you can't let any aspect of your playing really lag behind because it's all so intricately connected. It's always amazed me how well the ranking system seems to predict who will win and lose games - a 5k player against a 7k player with two handicaps will win as reliably as a 5k player against a 5k player with no handicaps.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 25, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's been a good few days :woop:

(I'm littleprof on IGS)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

derp posted:

you probably need to change your rank to ~2 stones stronger if you're winning by 20+ points that consistantly

I just got promoted to 7k, in fact. I'm not sure what my ceiling is right now but I've been diligently studying and working to improve for a while now. When I first started playing 8k players I got loving shithoused about 5 times in a row while almost always winning against any 9k, and suddenly in the last few days I seem to have made a bit of a breakthrough and started dunking on 8k players. I've never played a 7k or above player in a non-handicap match before, so I'm expecting to do some losing now, and thus some more leanin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I lost by over 100 points to the first 7k player I played...so I don't think I'm gonna try to skip any ranks.

e: but it's ok I beat the next one by 1.5 because my performances are hilariously inconsistent.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 30, 2017