Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Blendy posted:

This thread needs a bump.

I up'd this on request to ITGO but for those that don't go there:

http://www.scribd.com/full/20242524?access_key=key-1any1kot0jzk2fb991ov

That's my Joseki Library management paper. Yeah I cited Janice Kim, what are you gonna do about it?
I don't know anything about library management, but it's pretty cool that you were able to tie Joseki into it. Someone should write a paper (if no one has yet) as to why people playing Go see Go in everything.

Also, you misspelled "rote memorization".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I didn't want to be the guy that picks out two typos so quickly, but Blendy you really do need a new editor, or at least a spell-checker that picks up "tetsuji".

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
It took me more work than it should have (possibly because I haven't played Go in like 2.5 weeks), but I'm pretty sure it's H15.
Edit: And probably got it wrong; oh well.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Argue posted:

C11?

Hooray; I actually solved one of these. Now I just have to actually play some Go again and I'll be all set.

Also, the source of your avatar was the first part of that game I perfected, I think.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Am I the only one who got a go-related gift for the holidays? I got magnetic go set that A: fits in a cylinder for easy transport, and B: has a magnetic board so I can stick it on my fridge or a whiteboard.

also I got a book on Shogi but no one here would play an inferior game like that

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Yeah, I actually stopped to think about it and it sucks. Three colours could be interesting but 6? argh

There's one bowl with all the colors; it looks like it's white vs. black vs. "colors", so that it is indeed a three-player game.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Senor P. posted:

I'm confused, the colored and black groups have roughly the same number of stones. white has like half.

Maybe white sucks? (And Jeb was referring to each color individually)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Under 15 posted:

I play the moves I want to play even when I have read out that they don't work :black101:

Isn't that just called overplay?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Lhet posted:

In Japan at the moment, picked up 4 problem books

Can't read Japanese, anybody able to help with the book titles

Clockwise from top left: No Time Tsumego, No Time Tesuji, Yose, Tsumego. Check Sensei's Library if you don't know the terms.

Edit: Yose is probably (but not necessarily) the "approach ko" meaning as opposed to the more common meaning, but it's probably pretty clear once you look inside the book.

dirby fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 25, 2010

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Is it possible to play Go semi-regularly without it consuming your life? I can't afford to have it consume my life, but I'd kinda like to play Go (at my level) again.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Cybermg posted:

My problem was that my sessions of Go would always take like 4 hours, because I'd play a couple of games, then spend a long time having someone go over them and tell me all the things I did wrong.

I haven't played since winter, and not regularly since last summer. I've probably forgotten everything I knew.

This is similar to me, more or less (except iirc you got better than I ever did; I didn't even make it to 11k).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

xau posted:

Go is a game, it doesn't have any special meaning, it doesn't matter. Play it, enjoy it. Improving your go skills will probably never make any meaningful difference in your life. Sometimes it's fun, but if you're forcing yourself to play or study or do problems or whatever, you're doing it wrong. It's a hobby, not a religion.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything like that. I was just worried I'd get sucked into Go like some people get sucked into WoW.

By the way, did a Go fanatic kill your dog or something, because you seem really bothered by their existence.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

i don't actually enjoy playing go, i just like seeing my rank change

Have you considered Progress Quest? It's pretty deep for a "watch your rank change" game.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Hipster Scumbag posted:

it seems impossible for white to win or even survive on a 5x5

:eng101: This is true, although white can often (always?) survive if white is really smart if black doesn't play tengen first even when black plays perfectly afterwards.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Under 15 posted:

wossname put this picture in the OP

What a terrible shape.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Absolutely; No other tale of capturing and saving stones has brought me to tears like this tale of unrequited love.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

The 19th Person posted:

What's a good resource for absolute beginners?

I got a lot out of The Interactive Way to Go and then playing some games on KGS.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BaconBits posted:

I cough and try to a 20k skill's and was doing of my experience so far has pointed off a guy for so far how each of my each others we'd been talks about him to nudge that of my experience so far where we'd been there, of my each other how point opening a bar where has bulletproof. Low point of my experience so far where we'd pretty we'd been running pretty we'd been play experience so far having two newbies I could figure out there hour, not play with or so far where the agrees, that. 5x5 seems lifely.

I don't get it, did you suddenly contract aphasia?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

The General posted:

What are your thoughts about learning on a 19x19?
I feel playing smaller boards will stunt my growth, but maybe it scales perfectly?

When I learned the basics, I spent three games on smaller boards to get the hang of the rules and then went up to 19x19 immediately. I think it's a good idea.

The only benefit of staying on small boards at the very beginning is that games are over quickly. As long as you can accept you're not going to find the best move and don't spend too much time on a 19x19, moving up ASAP is probably best.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
A better OP for a new thread isn't a bad idea no matter where the thread it. However, there should be some thread with info for people new to Go in a place other than TGD.

I never go into TGD because I don't play any relevant games, but I discovered how awesome Go is thanks to this thread not being in TGD.

To address The General's comments about people looking for Go in TGD, I wasn't looking for Go, but still found the thread and the game very enjoyable. I wouldn't have ventured into TGD for that reason.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

areyoucontagious posted:

do people actually grab the stones like that in (serious) public play?

At a tournament? Almost always. At a club? Probably most of the time.

Unless you have a board with stones that are too small for it, you run the risk of knocking nearby stones if you place stones too differently (although IIRC there's one or two other ways you could do it, I forget).

Also, some people like the intimidating noise you can make when you place stones that way.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

1554 posted:

I'm having trouble understanding some of the basic rules of Go. I'm attempting to learn, but then stuff like this confounds me to no end. I'm playing on a 9x9 board to get the feel of playing.

In this example, I am black, the computer is white.

My question is, Why was I not allowed to take white's stones, but lost all mine on the same play?

Move 51 put the group to the left of it in atari (one move away from capture). You'd need to also have a black stone in the hole to capture that group. However, before you could do that on move 53, your stones were captured on move 52.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
yumi17 told me about BruGo.BE, it's like a nice little dictionary of fuseki sorta.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I did the online "The Interactive Way To Go" java site and it was a lot of fun. I don't feel ready yet to play against other people, so I thought I'd try playing against some AI for a few weeks. The problem I'm hitting, as a totally non-tech guy, is that most of the free online man-vs.-AI go programs involved downloading "source code", DOS prompts, and all kinds of craziness. Is there not just some simple browser-based "click here to start and play against the computer" go option? I just looked over several of the recommended programs, and couldn't understand how to actually make any of them work once I unzipped a bunch of random .txt files and all.
Just go to KGS (you can run this in browser!), and then play against easy bots there and then have your games reviewed by SA/ITGO people.

Alternatively, go to KGS and don't be scared to play against other people.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Hipster Scumbag posted:

It's best to use automatch, I think - you can specify how large a difference in rank you'll allow, and it pretty quickly pairs you with someone about your strength. It also leads to a more accurate rank for you.

Automatch probably won't help if your rank is [?].

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Haoma posted:

I think the most important thing is to only play a game if you feel truly dedicated and focused on it.

I don't know about this; that's what almost caused me to burn out when I had the time for Go. Basically, I tried to make sure I played every game at my best, which made every game very stressful, and made me not want to play games with the excuse that I wasn't feeling at my best.

Now I just don't have enough time.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Raii posted:

As for the rules, I'm pretty sure Korea uses Japanese rules.

Isn't the counting at the end slightly different (Sensei's library mentions a difference based on counting ko threats)? It's not something an early beginner really has to worry about too much if they understand, say, Japanese rules.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I don't know if anyone else is following this, but there was a kickstarter for a Go documentary, which asked for $15,000 and got $25,000. Now they only want $30,000 more to "fire a full time editor and pay for post-production expenses". On the one hand, $60,000 is still dirt cheap for a documentary. On the other hand, they should have made the Kickstarter goal $60,000 if that's what they needed.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Illegal Move posted:

or does anybody have any different advice?
However much you've been thinking in the opening/midgame, it's too much for you to feel comfortable during the endgame. Rush a bit. (Note: Since the endgame may have a lot of easy moves, the actual answer is probably to do a bunch of life and death to do endgame stuff more quickly, or something.)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Can someone let me into ITGO again? (KGS username dirby)

dirby fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 29, 2015

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

silvergoose posted:

I should really play online. But then it's hard to find anyone playing at that level, usually, it just waits for opponents forever.
I think you tried to PM me (I can't receive PMs), but I'm like 18k on kgs and would play when you're up for a game. Just message me on KGS or email me (see sig).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Six years ago I learned a bunch of shapes, but I don't remember the table shape being one of them. Sensei's suggests the name is somewhat new, but was it always an established shape?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AdorableStar posted:

First we need to play more games, but if you don't have the time then you'll be kind of hosed.
I don't have too much time, but I do play about two offline games a week. However, I'm about a stone or two better than my opponent, and haven't been recording the moves, so I haven't learned too much from those games.

quote:

Second you should automatch now because you're able to get games apparently.
At the very least, there was a 15k who was willing to play against a 17k that one time, but yeah I'll definitely give that a try whenever I can.

quote:

Thirdly, you need to ask people in ITGO for reviews.
I would have, but my friend was having a party because he just got married. Assuming I don't have friends get married all the time, I should have time to get some reviews.

quote:

I looked at your game and it looks significantly less retarded than before.
Some of my mistakes were painfully clear to me, but some of my early moves were probably too timid in a way I have trouble fixing on my own, IIRC.

dirby fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 19, 2015

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Speaking of which, are there any really nice apps to aid in-person Go games? Preferably Android, preferably free.

Features like "taking a picture and getting the score"(like kifu snap but not costing 2 dollars a month forever or Go Scoring Camera without the interface issues), saving an sgf of the game" (anDGS does this), "being a byo-yomi clock", etc. would be nice.

dirby fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 19, 2015

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

uranus posted:

7k on kgs, still lose to 10ks on tygem. am i really sucking or are there just sandbaggers everywhere

http://senseis.xmp.net/?RankWorldwideComparison would suggest that at the upper levels a tygem rating would be a better number than a KGS rating, but maybe things are different around 5-10k.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AdorableStar posted:

A lot has changed in two years.

Yes, GBS got worse, apparently.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Symbolic Butt posted:

Facebook made a baduk playing AI using deep neural networks and they're saying it's pretty good. Like 6d good, it beats every go playing playing program right now. I'm not sure if the hype is real.

Do you have a link?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

silvergoose posted:

Missed it, supposedly video'll be up in a few hours since it was a longass stream.

I'm confused. I thought I was watching the video two hours before you made this post :confused:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

silvergoose posted:

Sorry. I missed the live video. The replay should be up at some point, since it is a long-rear end stream so needs time to upload.

In US time zones, the live video was last night, and the replay is at https://youtube.com/watch?v=quOHkhwBHWg and has been for at least 5 hours. Unless I watched the wrong video or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Maybe this is old news, but http://goban.org/ is an HTML5 sgf editor. If you search, you can find corresponding browser apps (chrome, opera, and firefox, I think). It won't load sgf files from my phone properly, but now you don't need anything installed on a device to discuss variations, etc.

Thread by developer on another forum is at http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11239

dirby fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 4, 2015