Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

qxan posted:

So I realized I hosed up buying my goban. I got a neat shin-kaya Japanese board which is totally off the hook and Chinese yunzi stones which are off the hook. I'm sure a lot of people reading this see the problem. The stones are too big for the board. Not by much. Ever so slightly. But it's enough to bother me when I play on it. I have to readjust the stones as every move maligns other stones.

Woe is me.

tl;dr:
:words:

Press '8' to toggle the shrink ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

No, the slot doesn't give me a problem. Remind me to take a picture of the reason it was a hundred dollars off if you ever want a good laugh. The smallest break I have ever seen.

By the way, if I wanted to buy some cheap cute lil' appropriately sized stones, how much would that run me?

suppose the real reason the board was 100 dollars off is because they made it too small :ohdear:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Zeiros posted:

OK I've put a couple of days worth of remembering the rules, and reading through website after website. With GnuGo on its easiest setting I now need about a six stone headstart to win 50% of the time. So basically I'm one tiny step ahead of "placing stones randomly". Will come and hang out on kgs tomorrow.

I do have a question. As a complete and utter beginner is it worth me reading a book at all? or are internet tutorials enough, and the important thing is just to play?

A book is not going to be all that helpful to a beginner because it's more or less written in a language you don't understand. Just like if you were going to learn Spanish or something, playing with other people is much better than reading a book about it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Zeiros posted:

Just bumping the thread because the Go goons are a pretty awesome bunch. I just spent almost an hour on Skype with whoever VincentD is on here... he demolished me in game and the proceeded to explain why and how it happened, with about a billion interesting digressions about aspects of the game.

I think I probably grasped 20% of the details, but feel like I took away some 'nebulous concepts' that will help in the long run.

and Vincent is the weakest ITGO regular :angel:

Central to Go is the theme that once you think you have figured out what is going on and what to focus on and improve, you find out what a chump you are and have to start all over again. It's a retardedly complicated game. When you start out, the perspective shifts happen so often that it's just a blur, but there's still plenty later on down the line when things start to quiet down. I remember being pretty indignant when I realized that there really was a huge difference between playing on the third line and the fourth.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

Come on, rival. What are you waiting for? :c00l:

Waiting for you to play some ranked games and drop back to 11k :madmax:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

Ironis I totally get your point. I'm currently leaning towards getting Get Strong at Life and Death by Richard Bozulich, which seems to be the best (currently in print) book that strikes a balance of teaching about life and death and giving problems to solve. I mean essentially all books I get on go well (hopefully) be less and less useful as I master their concepts. I guess I'm not totally concerned if a problem book became useless because in the case of Grade Go Problems for Beginners Vol 3 it has problems up to the 5k level (which will take me a long time to reach), and frankly problems at my current level that I can solve with some thought I often forget how to solve quickly the next time I look at it. So having the book would give me a way to review them daily and stress test my brain's reading ability. That being said I could see why people don't buy problem books.

I'd just print out swathes of Cho Chikun's encyclopedia of life and death. Nothing but a billion problems, up to shodan level I think.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

If you all are up for some dry, boring-rear end poo poo message me on KGS and we can study some joseki. I just bought Ishida's Joseki Dictionary volumes 1 and 2 and that is 600 pages of poo poo, pure poo poo, in tiny font. Gonna slate this fucker

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

as halfway crooks posted:

temp banned again for chattin all caps and defyin admins, le sigh

I poured a 40 of glucose out for my nigga spacebrain

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Bizarro Buddha posted:

Well it turns out I'm really bad at taking my time to decide so I ordered books already, I got Tesuji as a textbook and the Life and Death and Tesuji problem books from the Mastering the Basics series - 1001 and 501 problems respectively.

'Tesuji' and 'Attack and Defense' are kings of books, they tell you a bunch of stuff that would otherwise take forfuckingever to figure out otherwise

'Lessons in Fundamentals of Go' is a good book to keep you from quitting, which is another common malady in new players.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Lessons in Fundamentals is basically a course syllabus of how to play go, and it's a lot lighter reading than most of the literature out there. The main virtue of it is that it's one of the only books a >15k can make any sense of, but it's a good read at whatever rank.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

So would I be the gayest motherfucker in the world if I got a go avatar for SA? :3:

Get a black and white picture of Go Seigen or Kitani or someone then post in D&D as though he were a famous politician

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

http://gosensations.com/index.php?id=2&new_id=522&rand=980#comments

I think this is the first article on here where Hutoshi isn't getting his poo poo pushed in. My heart grew three sizes watching black mete out stern punishment upon that 9 dan.

In other news, congratulations to Logite in his title match vs. Yagumo 8-dan. Logite didn't win, but he did succeed in sending about a hundred observers into seizures with his unique style.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

what is the point of playing a game over a month's time if you are a tiny baby and can't read more than about one or two moves ahead

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

congrats, you never need to play go again

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

so which of you trust fund babies has the two hundred thousand dollars for the cover charge at the go congress

me, I just spent all my money on this spoon so I am gonna stay home and eat some dirt. Maybe I will get lucky and find a worm

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

I kinda want to see if I can get to and attend the go congress for free. it can't be that hard, hotels have lots of entrances

you will get shot, this is big money we are talking about here

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

helopticor posted:

Everyone says play a some games on a full board to see if you'll like go, but that didn't work for me the few times I tried it.

I recently played a couple games on a 9x9 board, and carefully reviewed the games, and to my surprise, I think I will like Go (and feel kinda cramped on the 9x9 board).

What have I done to myself?

I encourage 19x19 games for learning because the curve in go is bad enough; it's a difficult game already, and 9x9 is a board with very little margin for error or room for comebacks. It's hard to review a nublet on a 9x9 because there is there is a very real chance that black has hopelessly hosed himself over by the fifth move. The other bad thing about 9x9 is that it will not teach you a lot of skills you need to know on the 19x19, which is ultimately the only board that counts.

It's fine to play 9x9 for fun, but you won't have any fun playing go if you don't learn anything. You will just get your rear end beat a million times for reasons people won't be able to explain in a way you can understand, and you will quit. I do admit if someone tutored themselves to shodan on a 9x9 they would be a loving force to be reckoned with, but I've never seen anyone even make it past 18k doing it, let alone 1d. For reference, 16k is about the first rank where you play something that resembles a game of go :v:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, a 9x9 is fine for learning the most basic poo poo, like the rules and whatever, because it's done and over in ten minutes and you can try again if you don't understand. There's no point in playing a 19x19 if you really have no clue what is going on, since it's just going to take longer and be boring.

I think we are not on the same timescale here though. You have to do a lot of losing like a motherfucker to even learn enough to consider yourself 'bad' at go - I'm not talking about how your first game must be on a 19x19 or even your first ten, but your first hundred. You have to do everything you can to stay sane or you will burn out.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

This seemed like a fun idea for a second. Can you imagine? But then I realized I actually can't. It seems like global strategy would be integral for someone to reach shodan. And while fighting is paramount on a 9x9 board, the fighting is different than an intense bout of fighting on, say, the full board. Groups don't run on a 9x9.

This is such a derail but it stuck out at me. Let me get back on topic.

if a dude seriously made it to shodan playing 9x9 his life and death will be way better than anyone he plays and so will his endgame. One read of Attack and Defense later and he would probably jump up to 3d

Life and Death skill is what the game is all about, when it comes down to it. That is why despite well-planned strategy and style, nine year old korean kids can kick you in the dick without even having to pay attention to the game.

EDIT: poo poo that kghin kid is eleven and he went from 4-dan to 7-dan in a year

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

if life and death were the most important part of go computers would be a lot better at it than they are

One of the biggest benefits of Life and Death skills is that you know when to tenuki :ssh:

mogobot will tenuki like a motherfucker but it sure as hell isnt based on any kind of positional judgement

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

helopticor posted:

I'm getting the impression that everyone sucks at go, with the people who haven't started yet sucking the most of all.

Come to KGS and suck less!

It took me until about 8 kyu to really realize how much I sucked at go. You think you know how bad it is up until then but then at some point more doors are opened and you are just like "fuckkkk where do I even start"

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I am reading breakthrough to shodan and its way better than I thought it would be.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

helopticor posted:

I know next to nothing about IGS (except that its interface looks like a shell). Why does everyone here prefer KGS?

Also, I may have just started playing Go, but I can already appreciate this page that all of you probably have already seen.

IGS is old and dysfunctional and it costs money apparently

also the moderators are even worse than on KGS, if you can wrap your head around that

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

My go clock is connected to a revolver with a single bullet loaded at the end, every time I use a byoyomi it pulls the trigger

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Clockwork Beast! posted:

Also tell me if I am a human being for wanting a floor board. It's not that I think I need or deserve one, I just think they are loving beautiful and will look good in my living room.

Really the problem with a floor-goban-as-decor is that floor boards tend to be a lot smaller than you would think they would be, but too large to go anywhere that it would be out of danger as being used as a table with poo poo all over it :shobon:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

taw posted:

KGS 11k reporting.

What's the best program for analyzing my go games? I cannot bother GTL or humans with every game, but it would be nice to get some quick feedback.

GnuGo can be hacked to do some basic analysis (gnugo --output-flags dv --replay both -l some.sgf -o commented.sgf) so it tells me when it thinks I made a tactical mistake, or should have tenuki, or shouldn't have tenuki etc. It's not always right of course, but it did find some major blunders that a GTL review didn't.

Are there any programs made specifically for analyzing Go games, or is it the best out there?

If you came to our room you could get feedback? I am not sure how much gnugo can offer you at 11 kyu. If you just want something quick to answer a question you had or you want something to think about, then just ask one of us. I'm sure someone in the room has five minutes to show you something; I would not trust a bot to analyze anything properly except for perhaps the late endgame.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

A lot of this stems from the fact that Go has, at any given time, a much larger variety of viable moves than Chess does. Computers can, in a lot of situations, brute-force Chess; that is, they can just literally read out a tree of every possible move they can make and every possible move the opponent can make in response, and they can do this a number of moves into the future. Just by virtue of sheer numbers, it's much more memory-intensive to do this in Go, and that's to say nothing of the difficulties in making a computer make sensible decisions regarding direction of play and influence.

Yeah, analysis is the sticking point. In chess the computer can tally up the captures and have a pretty good idea of how it is doing - if it's ahead on captures and has decent center prospects it can pretty well conclude that it leads. In go, the computer can estimate the balance of territory reasonably well, but the balance of power that determines it is another beast altogether. This difficulty with analysis is the sticking point for pros as well, since it is apparently far easier to read as many as a hundred moves in advance (don't ask me if it's not a ladder)than it is to compare the end result to something else and decide which is better.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

why no pics of you goons?

the shame is too great

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Peantoo posted:

You've got a long way to go nub. OG's in ITGO can attest I have quit more than most of them combined.

peantoo is the only person in itgo I don't have on my fan list because I am safe in the knowledge that he will never play a game of go again

and if he does it will be so loving bad I won't want to watch it

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

you have lower expectations walking into the ghetto

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Peantoo posted:

I don't understand this. Half of ITGO is in Europe or Australia, and a good chunk is in middle America. Why would we do New York? Does anyone in ITGO even live in New York or near it?

Yeah, I would like to see who organizes a NYC meet considering nobody actually lives there.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

helopticor posted:

It looks like there should be a Philadelphia meet, perhaps.

The algorithm says we're meeting in Bumfuck, Idaho. If you don't like it, swim to merry old England :colbert:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

Well here's what actually happened:

White plays O4, ends up making the bottom a ko fight for seki or the kill; black responds to some ko threats he really shouldn't and ends up losing the entire bottom group.

There's also some action in other areas, but that was my game-winning approach. I guess the main definite thing is that black was wrong to pass.

You got the key point right but you missed the slam dunk :o:

cutting at J2 forces a reply at H2 - without this, white dies. Once this exchange gets made, though, black can play O4 and kill the black chain, since white has a shortage of liberties and can't play ko.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

"Tetsuji"

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I hoped it would correct itself but it has not

that chibi1 human being who buzzes around my go club and pretty much only plays my sketchy friend also says 'tetsuji' for some loving reason. I got there early last week and he was the only one there so he showed me his Big Go Book where he copies down like everything that ever passes through his mind about go and he asked me a bunch of dumb questions. He has been playing for like two years and he is about where I was after six weeks.

tetsuji

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I don't think white can do much of anything after H7 the snapback threat at G6 seals the deal

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Emo Rodeo posted:

Hels, come play some go

Go status: played

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

the only proper ending to a conversation with a KGS admin is a two-day ban

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

All anyone can do is a 48-hour ban, it requires some sort of special intervention to actually IP ban someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Thank you! Your score is 148 from 200.
You are about European 1-dan (you can convert this grade to other ranking-systems by using this table )

sorry chumps