Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

WuChou posted:

Finally posting in this thread. I'm WuChou on KGS and I'm not sure what my rank is at the moment. I played at about 3k or so but am kind of rusty. Pretty much always up for a game or to review and answer questions, though, feel free to shoot me a tell on KGS any time.

We can be gay together, Woss. I, too, would recommend Fundamentals.

I used to play Go a lot but as with practically everything I do, I played it way too much for a while and then got bored with it. As a result I have a lot of books about Go that I may or may not have actually read.

Pretend that I put "If I remember correctly" before each mini-review here:

Theory books:
* The second book of Go: Excellent book if you are just starting. This book should be the second book you read, the first being the rules.
* Lessons in the fundamentals: fun to read, but not that useful. Maybe it was a bit complicated for me at the time. In other words, I wouldn't really recommend it, and definitely not for players lower than 10k or something.
* Opening Theory Made Easy: according to a comment I made somewhere else, this is a great book.
* Learn to Play Go series: not very useful for me, because I read most of it in other books already.
* Elementary Go Series: probably very good, but very difficult as well.

Problem books:
* I have more than 10 problem books. I'm not going to go over them, but suffice it to say that problem books are among the most useful books of all. If you are trying to choose between reading a theory book and doing a problem book, you should probably do the problems.

"I'm better than you because I play Go" books:
* Invincible - The Games of Shusaku. I'm kidding a bit, because this book is very good if you are serious about Go: studying pro games is a good way to improve. For me, it was a bit too much. It looks very nice though, and I like owning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Brut posted:

Yeah I was mostly just trying to get past my peak tiredness due to not wanting to fall asleep, I just found the french thing amusing, speaking of which it gave me the (rating?) "3k?", what does this mean, because now everyone is declining my challenges, time to actually read about the game now though, apparently it is not as simple as Reversi.

I find Reversi/Othello/whatever way more difficult than Go. At least in Go, most of the stones stay where they are. In Reversi, they change all the time. How confusing is that?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
E4, threaten to cut but actually just increase right side influence.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Blendy posted:

You have a James Joyce collection? Do tell us more! Also what go books you got on those shelves?

I once read Ulysses for a bet. I took me 6 months or something.

I disagree that problem books aren't good, or that online problems are somehow better. You should try doing problem books without looking at the answers. When you have read a problem all the way through, you shouldn't need the answer anyway, because you already know it.

It's also not true that playing games is better for tactical skill, because these situations come up a lot less in actual games than in a book which only has problems. When you do a lot of problems, you'll find that you'll get to see the solution to problems in games a lot quicker, and also that you'll have an easier time reading out harder problems: you'll be able to combine your instant reading of smaller problems into slightly less instant reading of bigger problems.

I think where I am now, (about 10k or something), solving problems is the best way to become better. Unfortunately, I'm far too lazy to do enough of them.

Edit: more about goproblems.com (or whatever) vs problem books: I think that with goproblems.com, you're more inclined to use trial-and-error to solve a problem, while you really should try to read out the entire problem first, and only then answer. The point is to practice your reading skill, and you can only do that by, well, reading. When you just guess and then let the computer show you the actual answer, you'll learn a lot less than if you would have read out the entire problem yourself. If the problems in a collection are too hard for you to do that, try some easier problems.

uXs fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 21, 2009

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Quad posted:

Even though I'm maybe 18k going on 15k, I'm really enjoying Elementary series 1: In The Beginning.
The opening is this crazy mystical land of trial and error for me, but not so much anymore. Those first 30 moves mean WAY too much. :(

Can't speak from experience, but I've always been told that In The Beginning isn't a book for beginners, at all. I do have the book because I have all the others in the series and because I wanted a complete collection, but I've never read it. (I haven't really read the others either, but anyway...)

Opening Theory Made Easy is much, well, easier. And here I can speak from experience.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pillow Face posted:

Found this review on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BE5F2CEEC0407B08

I found it helpful. The guy explains things clearly, simply, and, most importantly for me, doesn't go a mile a minute.

Very interesting. I know in a theoretical way that destroying aji is bad, but it's probably a big leak of mine. I think I'll try to see stuff like that in the future.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mez posted:

DGS makes me giggle: "90 days + 1 day per move and 10 extra periods"

I like DGS, but that default time setting sucks balls.

My primary issue with it is that if you play against some guy who stops playing after a week, you'll have that same game left open for over three months. That's just too much: people who stop playing for more than two weeks (without setting vacation time) are either dead or lost interest.

Fischer time is far superior for DGS: I always play with 14 days main time and 2 days extra per move. It means that as long as you keep playing at least one move every 2 days, you'll never run out of time. And if you would stop playing for a week or something, it'll only take 7 quick moves to get back up to 14. On the other hand, if you really stop playing for more than 14 days, the game won't stay on your games list for several months but will time out fairly quickly.

It makes for games where you always have a comfortable margin of time if you check your moves once a day, and people who stop playing will get the gently caress out of your games list.

(To be technically correct, it's not really real Fischer time in that you can never go above your starting time. If you set 14 days, 14 will always be the maximum amount of time left in your time bank. Actual Fischer time would let you go above that. But that would suck.)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Cybermg posted:

I generally grant undos in the hope that when I make a retarded move and immediately realize it, they'll accept my undo as well. They always do.

I made it my policy that I never ask for undo and that I never refuse one when asked. Makes life a lot easier when you never have to argue if you refuse, and you never have to get upset because your undo request is denied after you granted one or more yourself.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I should really start playing again but I'm too lazy. Also there's not enough girls in the Go club. :smith:

I really like the game, but if I play I want to improve, and I feel that I can't improve unless I either play a huge amount, or if I do problems. But both are just too much :effort:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Why isn't this thread in the TG Discussion forum?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The General posted:

How the hell do I google for Go clubs in my city?

This is as futile as an abbot and costello skit :smith:

You could search for 'igo', 'weiqi', or 'baduk'.

Or other go lingo maybe, like 'sente' or whatever.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I always grant undo no matter how ridiculous, and I never ask for them myself. Makes life a whole lot easier.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Athanos posted:

So, how's the new effort post coming along?

Speaking of which!

As you may or may not have noticed, TG and TGD have switched places: Trad Games Discussion is now the main forum, and TG-Play by Post is a subforum of that. (As it should be.)

So I'd propose again to move this thread to Trad Games. TG(D) is now more visible and I don't see why this thread shouldn't be there.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

WuChou posted:

Is my main concern.

Really though, Trad Games having a subforum doesn't really make the forum itself any more visible? We've had a steady influx of new players so the thread is certainly doing what we hoped. Plus, past the name, Trad Games doesn't really seem oriented toward much past RPG and Card type games at this point in time. The only active Chess thread on the forums is in SAS. The only chess threads I could search up in TG appear to have died on impact.

Edit: I would definitely like to see a fixing up of the first post, though. Woss stop getting huge or whatever for 5 minutes and fix the OP.

TG/D used to be a subforum of TG/PBP, which was a subforum of Games. Now TG/D is the subforum of Games, and it has TG/PBP as a subforum. Which also means that you can reach it directly from the main forum index. So yes, it objectively IS more visible, in more than one way.

TG has a pretty active board game thread. It could have two more if the Go and Chess threads were where they actually belong. Really, with the actual Trad Games forum where it belongs now, I don't see any reason not to have this thread over there.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I really don't see what my gaming history has to do with this? :confused:

Anyway, I was just pointing out that with the TG forum swap, I don't see any reason any more to keep this thread here as opposed to there. That said, I'm far too lazy to do anything about it. (Except for these few posts.)

vvv: k, whatever

uXs fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 4, 2011

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

IMlemon posted:

So now that I have played more than 30 games of Go i'm fairly certain I like the game quite a lot and I want to buy a board. Slight problem: amazon charges 140$ for shipping a 100$ board. Yellow mountain imports wants 160 :smith:. Is this normal?

Can't you just go into a regular shop and buy one? I know this involves going outside, but still...

Other option: look for a Go club in your vicinity, they will know where to get the good stuff.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So I joined KGS again today. Apparently the sound is broken and WMS is too lazy to fix it. To be honest, I've kind of had it with WMS since he refused to fix another bug several years ago.

Is there no better server/client yet?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

tonberrytoby posted:

You can get the sound to work by setting Java to backward compatible mode, generally.

There is a manual somewhere on the KGS-help sites.

Well ok. I installed an old Java Version, that seemed the easiest way and it works now. Now to find a decent icon so I can use that instead of the Java coffee cup. (Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to name this game 'Go' anyway?)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
That's a pretty sweet post, thanks.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Yeah, someone make a new thread. In TRAD GAMES, WHERE IT BELONGS.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

mr. why posted:

Got my first win. Kinda freaking out here.

Also - when is it acceptable etiquette to resign? I recently played a game that I lost pretty badly. About 3/4 though the game it was obvious that I was going to lose, so I passed. But my opponent basically kept playing until all of my stones were captured. Not only did it feel to me like bad sportsmanship, but it was also a waste of time. Would it have been rude of me to resign when it was obvious that I had no chance of keeping any territory?

Yeah just resign when it's clear you lost.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Chas McGill posted:

The first game was much closer than this one...

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

AlphaGo may have made moves that seemed like mistakes to us, but maybe that's just it maximizing its winrate instead of trying to play well.

I think this'll be 5-0. Today's game proved that its normal play is at a very high level. To beat it you'd need to find a specific weakness but that's probably beyond mere mortals by now.

uXs fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 10, 2016

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So, any predictions for game three? What kind of game will Lee Sedol try to play? More aggressive maybe? Focus more on the early game?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So I haven't seen the entire game (just the last hour and now the first) but it seems like Lee Sedol tried to attack and get an advantage much earlier than the previous games? With as only result that AlphaGo just had an advantage much earlier as well. Freaky.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Anyone know what strength Andrew Jackson is? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Well that was unexpected! I really want to see some analysis so we can see where it all went wrong. Or right if you're Lee Sedol.

What would the sentiment on team DeepMind be? Personally I think (or hope) that'd I'd be excited. This sort of thing could be exactly what's needed to put an upper bound on its strength and maybe it shows where there's still margin for improvement. But I dunno, maybe having it play more games against itself would be even more valuable. It can play a lot more games that way at least.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Overwined posted:

Moreover it already has all of Lee Sedol's games up to the point he played AlphaGo. The real "learning" it will do will be at the hands of the developers as they analyze mistakes and fix the algorithms.

As far as I know, it has 2 neural nets and a MCTS thing. Maybe something else as well but I forgot. I suppose they might be able to optimize some poo poo in the connections between everything, or maybe improve the MCTS a bit, but I think I read that they primarily still have a ways to go in improving the neural nets. They haven't reached the limit there.

And that will just be done by having it play itself. So it doesn't really have any algorithms to fix. Not in the classical way.

Overwined posted:

It also has all of your matches, Ke Jie. AlphaGo is coming for you!! :getin:

I wonder if AlphaGo is "told" who it is playing so that it can emphasize analyses made on games played by that player as a human might.

Doubt it.

What I'm wondering though, is this: AlphaGo doesn't give a poo poo about maximizing score, only about winning. That's why it plays slack but safe moves when it's sure it'll win, and why it goes crazy when it thinks it's behind. I wonder if they could change at least the last one: if it doesn't see a way out, it could go for keeping the difference as close as possible, so when the opponent makes a mistake it could as least profit from it. This wouldn't really work against an computer opponent but it might against a human. Forcing a human to not make a single mistake in the endgame would make it stronger, maybe.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

tonberrytoby posted:

Generally the only go I play on Android is making correspondence moves on the ogs website, and solving go problems with the gogrinder app.

If you have a large enough display that playing 19x19 becomes acceptable, I think igs/pandanet has the best app. The one for wbaduk seems OK,too. But I haven't really used it.

If you insist on playing against a computer (which is a mistake) I would recommend playing 9x9 with the pachi app.

IS there a large enough display that 19x19 becomes acceptable?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The Letter A posted:

just utterly i have no idea what i am doing in any game i am playing

I understand the whole you have to lose 100 games before you're a beginner thing but when you suck so bad you dont even know what you're doing wrong i dont feel like i'm doing anything productive playing on ogs against real people

You win a game by having areas surrounded, so try to do that. In an efficient manner. Without letting the opponent do it better than you.

It's a simple game, really.

Book recommendation: The Second Book of Go. Despite the title, "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go" is NOT a book for beginners. (And "Attack and Defense" is, to put it mildly, not exactly easy either, holy poo poo.)

uXs fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 17, 2018

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I played Leela Zero with 7 stones and won, and then 5 stones and lost. I'm pretty sure that makes me a pro now, please confirm.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

CaptainEO posted:

Hmm ok, if the Play store lets you install it, please give it a try, we’ve made a lot of Android compatibility fixes over the last couple of months. Admittedly, it still doesn’t run so well on phones that are more than ~5 years old.

It’s pretty evenly split actually. Our user base is a bit heavier on Android in East Asia since Apple has less presence there. iOS users are smaller in number but tend to stick around more, probably because the game is really well optimized on iOS and tends to have fewer little glitches.

The app is free to download and has no ads. PvP play is totally unlimited. There is an optional subscription that unlocks a few extra things for tsumego and AI practice; it works almost exactly like Chess.com’s app (we are a bit less expensive than Chess.com). The free version limits you to 15+ tsumego per day (minimum; you get more if you’re good) and 1 AI game per hour (the AIs run on the cloud and we have to pay for that :) ).

How many tsumego are there?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So tonight I knocked one of my containers with Go stones off my nightstand. It was made of glass and shattered quite spectacularly.

Any suggestions for replacements? These were my travel stones so I'm looking for something that could be closed more securely than the traditional wooden bowls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pander posted:

My wife likes most board games, but does tend to have analysis paralysis. When I showed her the 19x19 board she immediately noped out.

I don't have analysis paralysis and am about 10k, but the sheer possibilities on the goddamn board can sometimes give me nightmares too.

Play with a clock?