Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It's been a while since I've played, I ought to get in on this. Go is an incredibly frustrating interesting game.

Kinda hijacking the thread a bit, but what do you guy's think of my mypic32 contest entry, from an end-user's point of view? It's been a few years since I've played, but I think it would be a cool application if I can 1) get it to work right and 2) make the board look good/presentable. I know its not traditional, but this is the 21st century, amirite?

I can't help but feel like I'm missing some features or abilities that would be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

sensual donkey punching posted:

maybe throw in a network stack and write an IGS client for it and you've got a very cool piece of hardware

That would be loving pimp, and at this point I'm looking for more of a 'dream sheet' than a list of functions. I'll probably write this up and add it.

Gimpy Joe posted:

The life/death rules are surprisingly difficult to code and shouldn't be part of your project if you aren't programming the bot either. I think your project would be a cool set up if I could use it as an input for kgs or some other online play but otherwise it is only moderately interesting.

I haven't written the code yet, but honestly it doesn't seem like it will be that hard. I'll keep your comment in mind though 'cause there is nothing worse than being blindsided by a hard part of a project that you expected to be easy.

Thanks for the feedback guys! The KGS idea is pretty good.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

sensual donkey punching posted:

delta, solutions of life & death problems is something in the region of NP-complete (http://www.springerlink.com/content/vh10b97tyvxtf1wr/ supposedly proves this for a restricted sort of L&D problem). it's best to leave marking dead & live groups during scoring to a human, if that's what you meant in your spec (which isn't clear). in any case, i hope you make a new thread about it if you ever build this, and maybe post about it on godiscussions.com too. i'm sure most go players would be interested in seeing a high-tech goban, you might even be approached for a commission

When I say life/death rules, I mean checking liberties and acting appropriately. From a bookkeeping standpoint - you play a piece, it parses the board looking for situations where pieces need to be removed (aka, you make a capture). That should be easy.

As far as counting the score at the end, I didn't even think of that as a hard job. It's embarrassingly been a couple years since I played, but I thought it was as simple as looking to see if an unplayed intersection is surrounded by one color or between two different colors, and tallying appropriately. This also shouldn't be hard, assuming I haven't missed anything.

Actually playing the game (deciding if a group is alive or dead, and if it can be killed, how to do it, etc) is way beyond what I want to accomplish - hence my desire to port GNU Go to make the job possible. If porting that gets out of hand, that feature will more likely be dropped than implemented by me.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Garfie posted:

I personally expect Go to be solved by impossible bots within our lifetime. Computing power is one of the main items holding it back. Once Chess is mastered by AI, people will turn their sights to Go for a challenge in computing.

It is practically impossible to bruteforce Go. Chess wasn't mastered - Deep Blue simply applied simple rules very rapidly in every possible situation and looked at the result, and then selected the best one. The Spectrum article (best part of being an IEEE member, honestly) goes into great detail on the actual numbers, but it would be impossible to approach Go in the same fashion computationally without some MAJOR advancements in power.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Gimpy Joe posted:

Wow this is a pain but one of the KGS admins saw activity in the SA room and we are kinda flagged for breaking some of their terms of service involving language and conduct so go in and say some reasonably polite stuff about getting into the private room and we can get you an invite. Try not to curse or a banhammer stroker named 'BigDoug' will give you a 2-5 day ban from kgs or something.

Ha. Goons just can't fit in anywhere :(