Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I used to play a little Go, and really enjoyed it. The worst bit, though, was when I played a game with someone around 15 ranks above me (I was 23 kyu, he was 8,) and not only did he beat me effortlessly, he couldn't even explain what I was doing wrong in a way that I could understand.

Like, I'd place a stone, and he'd say "no, not there! Can't you see how bad the form is?"

Well, no, I couldn't see how bad the form was. And unfortunately, he couldn't express it in a less arcane way. That's the really frustrating (and also cool) thing about Go: it's really difficult to explain good play principles. Everyone kind of has to experience them for themselves, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Two Percent posted:

As I understand it, the absurd amount of possible plays is the reason there's no Go AI, is this right? Because I'd like to have a computer opponent to train on every once in a while but it seems we'll have to wait for quantum computers for that.

There are Go AIs. They are far, far worse comparitively than chess AIs; the best one is 4 kyu, if I remember correctly, which is well shy of Master status. It's still infinitely better than most of us will ever be, though.