Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I need to start channeling the spirit of a dead Go master any day now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
xau, what were the ranks of your opponents in your 4 games? Do tournaments do handicaps like kgs?

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I've heard mixed reviews of the basic joseki book and how it is a little outdated, but the rest of the kiseido books are awesome

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I like to lose a bunch of games on purpose so I can just relax and get easy wins back to my current rank. It is perhaps the worst way of improving go skills

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Black to kill

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
this is how Cho U says gently caress YO COUCH

Black to kill

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Just got back from a Go tournament in Portland. Playing slow and thinking through moves really helped my game, as well as hammered home the value of keeping sente. I registered as 8k based on my kgs rating at the time

Game 1 vs 9k - win
Game 2 vs 8k - win. I took black and made a serious error around move 30 and thought all was lost. I took my time and came up with a surprise attack that definitely would not have worked on a 6d player.
Game 3 vs 1k - lose. I had a 7 stone handicap and couldn't pull this one out, and really it all came down to one dumb mistake that I should have read through before playing. Went home for the night frustrated.
Game 4 vs 7k - lose. I had it in the bag until I made a stupid ko threat that I didn't need to make, had to resign.
Game 5 vs 7k - win. Played a solid game and didn't make any big mistakes. Works out a lot better when I do that.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
There were 33 players in this tournament and all the pairing was done by the tournament software. Rounds 3-5 had a lot of 6+ stone handicap games, it was really weird.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I'm looking at Go boards for sale, and they all looks the same size physically. Stones, however, come in a range of sizes. How would I know if I need 22mm stones, 22.5mm, 23mm, etc?

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I was playing a pretty crappy opening and the other guy asked me if I was 'playing go or just throwing stones at him'. Eventually he had to invade my territory with next to zero chance of surviving, and he kept trying to live even though it was clearly impossible at that point. I asked him if he was playing go or just trying to gift me some stones and he quit. Huzzah

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

ThePineapple posted:

I don't know if it's been posted in the thread or not, but i find breakfast's go tests pretty interesting.

http://sanrensei.info/ - Whether you would be a good san-ren-sei player

http://play.baduk.org/ - What your "real level" is

http://style.baduk.org/ - What your playing style is

Whether or not these tests are actually accurate (I disagreed with some of my results), they're still pretty fun to do.

The 'real level' test got me spot on, and now I am depressed because all the other moves looked crappy and I don't know why

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
My friend's wife went back to Korea for the green card process, and I asked her to bring me back something go-related like a fan with a player's signature on it or something equally cheesy. This is what she showed up with

Click here for the full 1000x669 image.

Now I just need to get better at go :(

superdylan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 21, 2009

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
My latest acquisition, and my favorite opening for when I just want to gently caress with people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I stopped by the Seattle Go Center yesterday and played a quick game. That place is really f'in nice, and teh guy running it was more than happy to teach my brother how to play while at the same time showing me all my terrible moves.