Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

derp posted:

hello i am playing go again after stopping for 5+ years
pretty wild that absolutely nothing has changed on any of these sites since then and the same number of people if not less are playing. crazy

i just grabbed the SmartGo One app which seems to be much improved. has actual tutorials and stuff. maybe i'll finally get the hang of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
been playing a lot against the computer and a couple players on OGS, and i'm getting frustrated. i can't seem to get the hang of it. i tried to move up to 13x13 against SmartGo and i can't win even with a 4-stone handicap, which makes me feel terrible at the game.

right now i'm playing games watching the analysis to see when i make a blunder, but i often have no idea why a seemingly-innocuous move completely flips the game. even following the next few moves doesn't really help. maybe i need a teacher? it just seems like with a 4 stone handicap it should be nearly impossible for me to lose, maybe i'm wrong about that.

i'm reading Learn to Play Go, and it's good, but it's all tactics that i don't see come up in my games. i feel blind to what's happening. should i maybe get a teacher? i think i need someone to explain stuff to me, because the computer isn't really helping. unfortunately there aren't any go clubs nearby (albany, ny) so i don't think that's an option.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
thanks, this was helpful!

Scythe posted:

How long have you been playing?

4 stones is a decent size handicap, especially on the 13x13 board, but handicaps go up to 9 stones for a reason, and even with a 9-stone handicap, even advanced amateurs who have been playing for years and years cannot beat pro players. The skill differences between a pro and an advanced amateur, between them and an intermediate, between them and a beginner, and between them and someone who has literally never played are around 9 stones each. Go has massive depth.

If you've been playing for less than a few months, and you understand the rules, IMO you should read less (or not at all, for now) and play more. And you should play all 3 standard board sizes, to get a feel for how they're different (9x9 is all about close fighting tactics, 19x19 is where long-term strategy comes in). You'll start to see the patterns the more you play, and if you're the type to be interested in the game in the first place, you'll start to get it soon.

There is a proverb (there are always proverbs in this poo poo): "Get your first 100 losses as soon as possible." One of the best things that playing go taught me was how to lose more gracefully.

i played for maybe a month, but a year ago, and forgot most of what i learned. the handicap info makes me feel better.

VictualSquid posted:

One of your problems is probably that the computer doesn't play in a way that is fun and educational to lose against.
If you just make a online ranked account on a normal go server you can instead play against people at your level, and win approximately half of your games. Which will teach you a lot more.
And as they say, after 100 losses (in normal games), you will understand enough of the game that you can learn more effectively.

yeah, like in chess, the computer is weird because it can perfectly punish mistakes. i just beat someone online in a 13x13 game, so that feels good!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
god this game is so loving satisfying when things work. i'm starting to recognize patterns and keep my shapes alive, so much fun after a long battle to realize YES, i have two eyes

i'm 16kyu on OGS if anyone ever wants to play, username dmansen

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
just played a 13x13 where i successfully played a ladder breaker, and then read another ladder as good for me (correctly). feel like a god

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Just beat my 6yo on 13x13 with a 5 stone handicap, I still got it.

that's right

finally worked all the way through Graded Go Problems for Beginners Vol 1 yesterday. i think i bought it a year ago but never finished it. it's helping me a lot in games. starting Vol 2 now, seems very good also

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
question, is this a dead shape?

it's kinda hard to tell via computer analysis because after B2 it just starts playing elsewhere. it looked big enough to live for me so i didn't bother trying. is the strategy to play B2 then B3? that would make sense to me.

i also see white B2 black B3 to connect, then white C1.. but it's hard for me to work out

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

thank you!

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
could somebody add me to ITGO? username dmansen

if anybody wants to play correspondence against a 14kyu hit me up

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Tesuji is a good book

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i've arrived at 10kyu :blastu:

more people should play this great game

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
that's a good page!

really struggling to cross over to SDK, been at 10k for a while now. reading attack and defense for the 3rd time, maybe it'll stick

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
been at 9k for a few days :D

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i play a bunch of blitz games a day and study a lot, but one game a week seems reasonable enough to play and progress a bit. if you can't get at least one game in a week, though... is it really something you're interested in?

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Pack it up. Go is cancelled.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Oh, lol https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/s/jilh0TiOIz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Best victory on OGS so far, victory against a 3kyu.

Been trying to climb out of 1d on Fox but still keep bouncing back to 1k