Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
Don't bother trying to get into it if you don't like to lose though. There's a Go proverb that's something like "you have to lose 100 games before you're even a beginner."

It is a difficult game to get into but very rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
I'm pretty bored and always willing to try and recruit people to the world of Go so if you're interested I'd be happy to try and show you the ropes. Join the SA room!

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

someone put a 4-4 beat on it and we'll make bank

atari

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 25, 2013

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
"You are about European 6-kyu"

I answered the first 11 or so by actually trying to get it correct and then got bored and randomly filled in the last 9

v:shobon:v

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
I can't seem to get the applet to work on KGS and I hate the downloadable client :(

Does anyone know if this is a known issue with Firefox or something?

edit:
code:
load: class com/gokgs/client/swing/KApplet.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.gokgs.client.swing.KApplet.class
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass0(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.gokgs.client.swing.KApplet.class

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 30, 2011

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
Think they might have just been doing maintenance or something, it works now.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
I got a strange and kinda sad message on KGS today. Apparently I was the last game of a long time KGS user before he died. So his friend messaged me and wanted to know if I remembered any details about the game so he could know what his friend was thinking and saying in the last hours before he died. The funny thing is the game did stand out in my mind because the guy got really mad at me for playing what he said was a dan-level player opening even though I was 13k. I thought it was a funny thing to get upset about because he actually won the game by 30 points or so even with a 2 stone handicap. So obviously I wasn't trying to pull anything, but he could not get over my opening and brought it up like 5-6 times in the review.

R.I.P agitated KGS homie -- hope my moves didn't put the nail in the coffin

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

AdorableStar posted:

I checked that game and it didn't seem like a convincing opening to me.

Yeah I didn't think it was anything special, which is why him being so upset about it was so funny to me.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
if he wins, he gets to adopt her.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
when i was at the beach the other day, there was a goony looking guy there with a really long rat tail wearing a Go shirt, and he had a cute girl with him. no scenario has ever been more incongruous.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

uranus posted:

what are the chances that any of you go goons lives in the seattle area and wants to play me? go goon meetup would be sweet

i'm in seattle. we could play some time

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
http://i.imgur.com/MhQjE0r.png
Ladder? I hardly know her!!!

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

B to play to save the top. really easy but I blew it and lost the game because of it

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

dirby posted:

Did KGS just go down?

Dammit, and in the middle of a game, too!
Restarted the computer and was able to finish the game. I do not play well under the time pressure of KGS automatch's "fast game", apparently.

It's been down for me for 20 minutes

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

With all of the difficult problems humanity is currently facing and even bigger problems on the horizon, it's reassuring to know that some of our best and brightest minds are hard at work teaching a computer how to win at a 3000 year old board game that only elderly Asian people care about :unsmith:

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

the internet as a whole must make you deeply depressed.

oh it does

Love Stole the Day (lol this username) posted:

Every non-"newbie" video or website I find is way over my head, so I feel like there is a big gap in the learning process and I'm lost now.

come play on KGS, some of us folks are in a channel called itgo. I have nothing to do for the next 12 hours. I will teach you how to be a Go pro. (not the camera, I don't know how to do that)

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

o.m. 94 posted:

are you kidding? Go is a notoriously difficult problem. Of course people want tostudy it. It has already had practical and groundbreaking results in probabilistic AI research. you dont shake a tree cause you want to eat the branches, you're after the apples that fall as a result

that was a poo poo metaphor but anyway don't knock obscure scientific research. penzias and wilson found the cosmic microwave background radiation when they cleaned pigeon poo poo off an antenna

I was actually kidding. I think it's cool they're making strides in machine learning because of Go (and video games and other fields not directly related to some important problem)

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
can ya'll add me to whatever room is now the goon go coven?? username is Bl1tz

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
c...can you add me to ITGO?? :allears: username: Bl1tz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

I need to play somewhere other than IGS for a while or something, I just had a game where I was ahead by 40 points, and at the very end, I kept passing and the other guy kept making worthless 'fill in' moves worth 0 points. He did it like 8 times, and then the 9th time made a real move and I passed without thinking and he won the game as a result. I really cannot even express how angry and upset this made me, like, shamefully so. But yeah I just need to play somewhere where I can not give a gently caress if I win or lose. When are goons actually on? Nobody is ever in the KGS channel when I look.

that definitely still happens on kgs, it's happened to me more than once. people are lovely everywhere