Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Sweet! I used to play Go back in high school, but I haven't really played a game for a couple years.

I'm definitely gonna get in on this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Peantoo posted:

Anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours. It depends on how long you like to think to be honest. I prefer 30 minutes on each side with 5 30 second countdowns (byo-yomis). Others like 5 minutes a side with 5 second byo-yomis. I'd say 20 minutes per side is about average, which equals to about 45 minutes total for a good thinking game. The time flies by too.

If you've only got a couple minutes free or you don't feel like playing out an entire game, https://www.goproblems.com is a great resource for Go problems, which are always good to play.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I was talking with one of my comp sci friends at college, who also happens to be president of my campus's chess / go club. He mentioned that there had recently been a new go AI released, which played at something like six dan level? I was pretty shocked, because previously, I know that the best AIs were still about 4-6k, and I couldn't figure out how such a dramatic jump had been made. He said that nobody had really approached the problem of computer program playing go for several years, and that computational power had made dramatic jumps since the last time.

I haven't been able to find anything about this near-professional level AI online; the closest I saw was a mention to MoGo, which was rated at around 2-3 dan back in August 08. Is my friend crazy or do people here know about this program as well?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
So here's a couple questions for you guys.

I generally play with a heavy focus on building influence. However, influence doesn't necessarily mean territory. If I want to improve my go, I feel like I need to start focusing on influence less and on invading and defending against invasions, so that I can start using the influence I build more effectively.

Is that a correct assumption?

Second, if I'm correct in my feeling, then probably "Attack and Defense" would be a good book to look into. Is there something else you guys would recommend more?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Is it a safe assumption that https://www.kiseido.com is a safe place to order stuff from? I want to get a copy of Attack and Defense without paying 30 bucks on amazon, but the shopping cart interface that Kiseido has looks a bit clunky and outdated; do I have anything to worry about?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Anybody interested in a book swap? I've got an extra copy of Attack and Defense, good condition with the corner of some pages slightly bent. It's a good book, worth reading, and you need to deal with Kiseido's archaic ordering system to get a copy of it, as far as I can tell.

I'm interested in problem books or A Dictionary of Basic Joseki, volume 2, but feel free to speak up if you think I've got something else I might be interested in. I've already got copies of In the Beginning, Positional Judgement and Analysis, 1001 Life or Death problems, and Graded Go Problems for Beginners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Athanos posted:

You picked one of the worst books to trade, attack and defence is one of the most common books people buy. I hope you find someone to trade with though since it is a pretty good book.

Personally I tend to buy go books and then not read them. I know I will get around to doing it someday, but it is still pretty irksome, especially since I am not exactly rolling in the dough.

I mean, I'm not gonna die if I have an extra copy of this, I'll probably just give it to a friend eventually or something. I just figured that I'd let folks know about it and see if anybody's interested. I can't deny it's a common book, since I've ended up with two copies myself.