Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Joementum posted:

the brokerage account that i opened at the worst possible time is finally making me money :toot:

...did you drop a big amount in at the peak and then not have recurring investments through the dip? Or throw everything into bonds?

I'm in a fairly similar time frame and I'm sitting pretty because everything I put into VTSAX in H2 2022 through H1 2023 is now up on average 30% and 10% since then :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Hey all, I just started a new job at a small company and their 401k funds all have quite high expense ratios:

quote:

Asset Allocation
LPRDX BlackRock LifePath Dyn 2030 Investor A - ER 0.84%
LPREX BlackRock LifePath Dyn 2040 Investor A - ER 0.84%
LPRFX BlackRock LifePath Dyn 2050 Investor A - ER 0.84%

International Funds
RWIAX American Funds Capital World Gr&Inc R1 - ER 1.51%
RERAX American Funds Europacific Growth R1 - ER 1.57%
IHORX Hartford International Opportunities R3 - ER 1.42%
MRSRX MFS Research International R2 - ER 1.29%
ODVNX Invesco Developing Markets R - ER 1.49%
OIDNX Invesco International Diversified R - ER 1.46%

Specialty
CCSRX Columbia Commodity Strategy R - ER 1.36%

Small Cap Funds
VSFRX Federated Hermes Clover Small Value R - ER 1.23%
GTSRX Invesco Small Cap Growth R - ER 1.41%
MCCRX MassMutual Small Cap Opps R3 - ER 1.35%
GOGFX Victory Sycamore Small Company Opp R - ER 1.43%

Mid Cap Funds
GGORX Goldman Sachs Mid Cap Growth R - ER 1.41%
OEGNX Invesco Discovery Mid Cap Growth R - ER 1.29%

Large Cap Funds
RGAAX American Funds Growth Fund of Amer R1 - ER 1.39%
MRDVX BlackRock Equity Dividend R - ER 1.28%
FGSRX Franklin Growth R - ER 1.05%
LAVRX Lord Abbett Fundamental Equity R3 - ER 1.21%

Balanced Funds
MRLOX BlackRock Global Allocation R - ER 1.46%
MTRRX MFS Total Return R2 - ER 0.98%
LPRAX BlackRock LifePath Dyn Retirement Inv A - ER 0.84%
RCEEX American Funds Capital Income Bldr R2E - ER 1.08%

Bond Funds
JCBZX JPMorgan Core Bond R2 - ER 1.10%
FEPTX Fidelity Advisor Total Bond M - ER 0.75%
HIPRX Hartford Inflation Plus R3 - ER 1.17%
PRRRX PIMCO Real Return R - ER 1.32%
MGVSX MFS Government Securities R2 - ER 1.01%
MPHNX MassMutual High Yield R3 - ER 1.24%

Money Market Funds
SJGXX JPMorgan US Government MMkt Service - ER 1.03%

Matching/profit sharing doesn't start for me until I've reached a year. Should I even bother investing in these? I could ask the company to provide better funds, but they'll probably just say no.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Those funds really suck. I'd probably contribute just enough to get the match and put it in a target date fund since those are the cheapest at 0.84%, which is a ripoff.

Do they allow in-service rollovers? If you can contribute and then roll out to an IRA you would have way better options.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

qsvui posted:

I could ask the company to provide better funds, but they'll probably just say no.

My job had a deferred comp representative come out to explain retirement accounts, I raised my hand in the Q&A to ask about the possibility of more index fund categories and emailed our plan provider. Got polite no's each time, but we did get an additional index fund on the menu within the year. Speak up, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

SamDabbers posted:

Those funds really suck. I'd probably contribute just enough to get the match and put it in a target date fund since those are the cheapest at 0.84%, which is a ripoff.

Do they allow in-service rollovers? If you can contribute and then roll out to an IRA you would have way better options.

I'll keep that in mind once I become eligible for matching.

Not sure about the in-service rollovers, I'll have to ask about that. Would doing this impact the backdoor Roth at all? It shouldn't because rollovers aren't contributions right?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

qsvui posted:

Not sure about the in-service rollovers, I'll have to ask about that. Would doing this impact the backdoor Roth at all? It shouldn't because rollovers aren't contributions right?

Are you sure you don't get matching now? Sometimes it's deferred matching; i.e. anything which they would match is held onto by them until you hit a year, and then it vests into your account. If you left before a year you wouldn't get the match (but your own contributions would still be yours to keep, and ideally roll into another 401k at a new job or trad IRA to avoid those awful expense ratios. I wouldn't be surprised if they had high bookkeeping fees too, if you left the company but still kept money in their 401k). Check the plan details to be sure.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

qsvui posted:

Hey all, I just started a new job at a small company and their 401k funds all have quite high expense ratios:

Matching/profit sharing doesn't start for me until I've reached a year. Should I even bother investing in these? I could ask the company to provide better funds, but they'll probably just say no.

0.84% isn't good by today's standards but in the relatively recent past it wasn't considered awful. Certainly not high enough to discourage saving in your 401k, even if you didn't get a match.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Question for the thread about companies like that who offer sub-par but not usurious options:

Companies have a fiduciary responsibility to ensure that their 401(k) options are reasonable, and acting in the best interest of the employee. Has that ever been formally defined? Some sort of ratio where there needs to be an option that’s within X variance of the lowest-fee option on the market?

As to being the squeaky wheel, it does work over time. Myself and another employee asked about it in the annual benefits presentation for about five years in a row, and the options got better every year (still not amazing, the broker is friends with the CFO).

We did find it useful to ask the question in the form of “The market grew X percent last year, your fees took Y percent of that total return, how do we get some lower-cost options in the plan?”, but doing that also requires you to be in a position where you’d be unlikely to be disciplined/fired for asking it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Most companies, especially small ones, have bad 401(k) plans out of ignorance rather than malice. It's just not that high on anyone's priority list. If you can find a better option that doesn't cost more money, the company is probably willing to switch. This does require an expenditure of effort but I know numerous goons have had success in reforming their company's offerings.

edit: the good news is that 401(k) plans are a universal benefit so it benefits executives and leaders personally if there are better 401(k) offerings. incentives generally align here (aside from things like the administrating company is run by your CFO's cousin).

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Schiavona posted:

Question for the thread about companies like that who offer sub-par but not usurious options:

Companies have a fiduciary responsibility to ensure that their 401(k) options are reasonable, and acting in the best interest of the employee. Has that ever been formally defined? Some sort of ratio where there needs to be an option that’s within X variance of the lowest-fee option on the market?

As to being the squeaky wheel, it does work over time. Myself and another employee asked about it in the annual benefits presentation for about five years in a row, and the options got better every year (still not amazing, the broker is friends with the CFO).

We did find it useful to ask the question in the form of “The market grew X percent last year, your fees took Y percent of that total return, how do we get some lower-cost options in the plan?”, but doing that also requires you to be in a position where you’d be unlikely to be disciplined/fired for asking it.

It's usually defined via court cases, and on if the company sees a risk of class action lawsuit/settlement. Hughes v Northwestern University made some big waves recently and it's led to even more excessive fee/investment choice lawsuits.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 22, 2024

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

qsvui posted:

Having any traditional (non-Roth) IRA balance affects the backdoor whether they're direct contributions or rollovers from another qualified plan.

If your plan does allow you to roll out while still working for the company, and you do plan to use the backdoor Roth IRA mechanism, you also consider investing in a regular taxable account. Whether you come out ahead in the long run depends on your current and future tax rates and long term investing plan. You'd have to spreadsheet it out to figure out which way is more optimal given the tradeoffs.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Another problem at small companies is that administration fees aren't spread as deeply, so whatever the group gets charged hits really hard.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cugel the Clever posted:

...did you drop a big amount in at the peak and then not have recurring investments through the dip? Or throw everything into bonds?

I'm in a fairly similar time frame and I'm sitting pretty because everything I put into VTSAX in H2 2022 through H1 2023 is now up on average 30% and 10% since then :shrug:

It was funded with a large initial deposit from an inheritance and down payment fund that by late 2021 was obviously not going to be used. I've kept up contributions since and put in about 30% of the initial deposit in the last few years but that first dip really hurt the balance. I think it was down by ~15% in the first year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Part of my employer match goes to a 401a (which has vesting; most of it goes to 401k). There's no difference between rolling it to an IRA vs the 401k right? It doesn't count toward my contribution limts and the tax treatment is the same--I get taxed on distributions in retirement. My 401k has very limited options so I just leave it in a S&P 500 fund, but the IRA at least lets me buy QQQM.

Another motivation is to consolidate accounts but if it's all buy and ignore, maybe I shouldn't in order to have more investing options. Even with required minimum distributions, it seems like that's based on the value of the account and the IRS's life expectancy tables, so whether everything is in my 401k or spread out between multiple accounts, my total RMD (and therefore taxable income) would be the same.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 22, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Space Fish posted:

My job had a deferred comp representative come out to explain retirement accounts, I raised my hand in the Q&A to ask about the possibility of more index fund categories and emailed our plan provider. Got polite no's each time, but we did get an additional index fund on the menu within the year. Speak up, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Moreover there's a good chance the higher-ups and decision makers at a given company are also participating in the same 401k and have the same lovely options. Educate people as to how much they're being ripped off and they'll tend to want this poo poo fixed for their own sake as well.

My wife runs a tiny nonprofit with one full-time employee and about eight part-time employees eligible for their 401k. And they have far better options than the ones just posted. She's doing theirs through ADP. There are also pooled options for small employers, where multiple small companies essentially pool their retirement funds to get better deals. Vanguard and Fidelity offer decent plans.

There's really no longer any excuse other than ignorance for these poo poo plans.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hi, I know essentially nothing about finance but am looking for advice about getting a HYSA. I just have a normal savings account now, which seems pointless when I could be making way more money from the interest? I looked briefly into the options at my current bank (US Bank) but it appears you have to keep a minimum balance of 25k to actually get the 4.25% rate, which didn't seem great. Any recommendations for a bank or how to select the best one?

(Side info that might be relevant? I'd like to buy a house eventually, and I do already have a Roth IRA and a pension through work, so the normal savings account is not the only thing I have)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Radio! posted:

Hi, I know essentially nothing about finance but am looking for advice about getting a HYSA. I just have a normal savings account now, which seems pointless when I could be making way more money from the interest? I looked briefly into the options at my current bank (US Bank) but it appears you have to keep a minimum balance of 25k to actually get the 4.25% rate, which didn't seem great. Any recommendations for a bank or how to select the best one?

(Side info that might be relevant? I'd like to buy a house eventually, and I do already have a Roth IRA and a pension through work, so the normal savings account is not the only thing I have)

Yup, the “regular” banks in the US all tend to mostly just hope you don’t research interest rates. I had BoA years ago and similar thing.

Most “online” banks, and some local credit unions, will offer a HYSA, which is just the same savings you have now, same FDIC protections, just a higher interest rate.

I switched to Ally, I’ve had them for 12 years now, and they’ve been fine. I know someone here had an issue with them, and in general don’t feel like you have to go with Ally specifically. Anything like Ally, AmEx savings, etc, as long as the savings rate is around the current rate (Ally is currently at 4.25%), you’re good. The big rule is make sure it has FDIC protection, which pretty much any bank or credit union has.

Most of them are online only, which means you can’t deposit cash. Main downside , but I rarely need to do that personally.

Some people really delve into finding the highest one. IMO they all tend to be very close to each other , so finding one you are comfortable with is more important.

For buying a house, it is recommended that all savings for that is through a liquid savings like a HYSA, so that is good. Otherwise, the topic of house savings might be separate unless you are also asking if you are on track?

Side note: do you have or know of what a personal Roth IRA is ?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought IRAs were always personal. How do you get one through work?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Duckman2008 posted:

*bunch of good words*

Thank you! HYSAs in general sounded like one of those things that seemed too good to be true or had a weird catch somehow, so I appreciate it. I'll take a look at Ally.

As far as the Roth IRA goes, I think I worded that confusingly. My pension is through work, my IRA is personal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Radio! posted:

Thank you! HYSAs in general sounded like one of those things that seemed too good to be true or had a weird catch somehow, so I appreciate it. I'll take a look at Ally.

As far as the Roth IRA goes, I think I worded that confusingly. My pension is through work, my IRA is personal.

Yeah, the only catch with diff savings account in the US is that banks with low interest rates basically rely on Americans not being educated, which unfortunately is a good strategy.

Note: a HYSA rate will basically go up and down with whatever the Fed sets rates at. Before Covid rates were at 0.5%, but basically it’ll always be better than like, Wells Fargo at 0.02% or whatever.

General reminder to have a sep emergency fund to house savings and other savings.

If your house stuff is longer term, you can look at treasury bills, but I’ll leave that for others to chime in, I haven’t worked much with them yet myself.

HYSA is def a great number 1 step though.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Simple IRA is an employment based retirement account. Honestly there are too many types of these accounts and I can see how people could get confused.

Just raise the max on the Traditional and Roth IRA accounts, let employers contribute directly, and get rid of the rest

drk fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 24, 2024

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it weird that my 401K provider (Principal) makes no distinction between Roth and non-Roth money in my account? It just has a single balance despite me doing mega-backdoor Roth contributions.

It does accurately break out before-tax and after-tax on the contribution side, so I have no reason to suspect it’s actually being done wrong. But when I get to retirement age it seems like the distinction is pretty important?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Radio! posted:

What provider is your Roth IRA with?

You probably could open a taxable brokerage account with the same company and then put your savings in a treasury money market fund. They currently yield more than 5% and are mostly state tax exempt.

If you feel more comfortable with bank accounts, maybe check out https://www.raisin.com/en-us/, which is basically a single account that works with a bunch of partner banks to get you the best rates.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

smackfu posted:

Is it weird that my 401K provider (Principal) makes no distinction between Roth and non-Roth money in my account? It just has a single balance despite me doing mega-backdoor Roth contributions.

It does accurately break out before-tax and after-tax on the contribution side, so I have no reason to suspect it’s actually being done wrong. But when I get to retirement age it seems like the distinction is pretty important?

I just took a quick look at mine with vanguard and the only place I am easily able to find it is on my quarterly statement. I can't seem to find it anywhere else. It is all laid out on the statement though. maybe check there?

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

spwrozek posted:

I just took a quick look at mine with vanguard and the only place I am easily able to find it is on my quarterly statement. I can't seem to find it anywhere else. It is all laid out on the statement though. maybe check there?

Hm, I just checked the statement on my own 401k (TSP), and it has a table listing contributions and earnings. It lists one number there for my Roth contributions and earnings, but another number in a box beside the table labeled "Your Nontaxable Roth Balance". Shouldn't these numbers be the same? I haven't gone back and looked at my pay statements to do the math, but at a glance the box appears to only include my contributions. Or maybe it specifically means currently nontaxable for the purpose of early withdrawals?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Boris Galerkin posted:

Calsavers program in California offers IRAs through work if the business doesn't offer any workplace retirement. You can opt out of it and just use your personal IRA. It's basically a way to nudge everyone into starting a retirement account.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

smackfu posted:

I used to have a Roth 401k at Principal with a pre tax employer match. When I rolled the money out to a Roth IRA the pre tax match money split off into a traditional IRA. So I ended up with two IRAs, one Roth, and one traditional. So yes, they are keeping track of which dollars are which. Even if its not obvious from looking at the total balance.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for confirming. I just think it’s mental they don’t list them separately in any place in my statement or in the UI. My only guess is they don’t want the complexity of managing two accounts and separate allocations and rebalancing etc.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
My 401k is divided into four accounts: traditional from contributions, traditional from employer match, traditional from rollover, and Roth from contributions. I can only set one allocation, but all transactions aside from contributions (for example dividends and reinvestments) are always listed four times each. It's pretty annoying.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
My HSA automatically sweeps into a Schwab HSBA, but it looks like I actually have to give Schwab an exact dollar amount and frequency to automatically buy investments? That seems super annoying and even if I figure out the correct timing and dollar amounts, it would all get messed up if I ever spend any money in my HSA. I suppose it's another reason to not touch the HSA even for healthcare expenses

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So now that I'm older and 11 years from retirement, how often should I be rebalancing the 401l? The current plan is to do so quarterly at the end.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

daslog posted:

So now that I'm older and 11 years from retirement, how often should I be rebalancing the 401l? The current plan is to do so quarterly at the end.

I would say yearly should still be fine. If you are transitioning to more bonds/cash at X years out then I would just do that at your yearly review.

I am a ways out from retirement but I only look at my allocations yearly and rebalance then (usually during more buying).

remembertorelax
Aug 16, 2023

feelix posted:

My HSA automatically sweeps into a Schwab HSBA, but it looks like I actually have to give Schwab an exact dollar amount and frequency to automatically buy investments? That seems super annoying and even if I figure out the correct timing and dollar amounts, it would all get messed up if I ever spend any money in my HSA. I suppose it's another reason to not touch the HSA even for healthcare expenses

If I understand what you're saying, I'm a little jealous of your situation, because the investment fees/options in my employer HSA are terrible. So, I manually initiate a transfer out a couple times a year and wait multiple weeks for it to go through, then manually initiate the investment purchase once the transfer settles. My transfers seem to be free at both ends, at least, but I figure I'm probably losing a hundred dollars a year in missed gains because of the time it takes for the transfers.

But yeah, there are lots of little annoyances with using HSAs for investment space. I try to remember this is not really the primary use case and just appreciate it for what it is. Hopefully it works out great when we retire!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah I work for a large public university so my benefits are pretty great and well-managed. I think I'll just be able to set an investment schedule based on when my automatic sweep happens but I'll have to wait a pay period to see the exact timing (we just switched HSA providers which is why this is new. The old one was more automatic, but the required cash balance before investing was $2k instead of $1k so I'm not complaining)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

How long does Fidelity typically take to complete an order? In my portfolio account for individual stocks, orders seem to be filled right away. But my wife placed an order for FSKAX (market order type, day time in force) at 9:45AM ET this morning and it was never filled. The cash available had fully cleared, so I'm not sure what happened.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Omne posted:

How long does Fidelity typically take to complete an order? In my portfolio account for individual stocks, orders seem to be filled right away. But my wife placed an order for FSKAX (market order type, day time in force) at 9:45AM ET this morning and it was never filled. The cash available had fully cleared, so I'm not sure what happened.

You should be able to see your order history under the "Activity & Orders" tab. I've never had a market order just hang out like that, but I did once have a fill or kill just hang out (which should also never happen) so I think that occasionally orders can get lost. In my case I just canceled it myself and re-submitted it and it worked the second time.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Omne posted:

It's because FSKAX is a mutual fund and mutual funds and MMFs clear overnight. Unlike ETFs and stocks which have prices which adjust throughout the trading day, mutual funds get priced and bought/sold between days. Tomorrow morning the trade will be complete.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You'll probably get an email around 5pm ET saying the order completed, and then an email around 2am ET when it actually goes through. That's what I see usually.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm 35 and married, taxed at 32%. I fund my employer 401k to $23k/yr with a 1to1 15% match. The only fund in the 401k is Vanguard Target Year 2050 and the balance is 260k.
Then I have a taxable brokerage account with 55k in it split 60/30/10 (VOO/VIOO/VXUS) with DRIP enabled on the three. My tax bracket likely will not be higher than this when I retire (ideally at age 60). My 401k (through John Hancock) does not have a mega backdoor roth option (or if it does, idk what I'm looking for in the plan document).

1) Should I open a traditional IRA and max it before adding funds to the taxable brokerage account? If so, what funds to select? Doesn't seem I can open one at Ally or TD Ameritrade, but I imagine I could once my TD account transfers to Schwab in May.

2) Am I using my brokerage account correctly? Should DRIP be enabled for those accounts? Anything wrong with the chosen ETFs or split?

3) I received a 100k cash bonus (one time work related event, won't happen again). How best to get this money invested, lump sum? spread out over the rest of the year/weekly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: nvm

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 26, 2024