Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SDMX
Sep 6, 2006

Dear Sister, Are You Leaving Me Again?
Edit: Nevermind, I should learn to read the goddamn dates on these things.

SDMX fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SDMX
Sep 6, 2006

This thread doesn't seem to have been playing the same kind of name game that the Stock and Analysis thread has. While that's probably because not everyone has access to the same funds, I still thinks it's worthwhile.

I just made my annual contribution to my Traditional IRA, so I've got 5K sitting around waiting to be allocated somewhere. I converted an old Fidelity 401K over, so I'm sort of stuck with Fidelity at the moment, but if any of you Vanguard Zealots are willing to sell me on some of their perks, I'm all ears.

That said, I'm still up in the air on where to put my contribution. I'm 100% FBALX at the moment because I thought it was a safe bet when I opened the 401K a year ago, didn't realize it was predominantly stocks, and have taken the 10% YTD hit on it, along with the rest of the market.

I'd like to start gearing toward small growth since I'm optimistic about the market, but I haven't felt a fund I feel that safe on. I was thinking about dropping the majority in FICDX (which is large, I know), but I'm concerned that I might have missed the whole emerging fund explosion and won't see the same kind of return on it that it's previously enjoyed.

So where's everyone else allocated? How do you feel about it so far?

SDMX fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 14, 2008

SDMX
Sep 6, 2006

Unormal posted:

investing vs. speculation this sunday sunday sundaaaay

While I agree with everything above, there's only so far that advice can take a thread. In fact, it's covered in the OP:

quote:

1) Contribute to 401(k) up to employer match
2) Max out Roth IRA ($5,000 this year)
3) Max out 401(k) ($15,500 limit this year)
4) If you were able to finish Step 3, you will end up rich in all likelihood. Start a taxable savings account, or go out and blow some money at a strip club or something.

I've got those rules set, and I've also worked out what kind of risk I'm comfortable with and how much I intend to continue to contribute as well as when I plan to retire. So now that the basics are out of the way, I'm just trying to expand on the section below that labeled:

quote:

I have all these different funds to choose from, where do I start?

Moreover, while speculation is a purely stock-based profession, given the inherent distribution of assets in mutual funds for the purposes of lowering risk, speculation in that category becomes a hell of a lot less of an all-encompassing timesink for profit. All I'm asking is in what funds people have been happy with, so that we can all collectively see what's getting hosed versus what isn't in our current bear market situation. I would think NOW, more than other time, would be the crucial one to do this, given that our current market has a lot more potential up than down, god willing.