Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I've always been a little confused about this - when people say put away 10% of your pre-tax salary, do they mean 10% PLUS company match, or 10% WITH company match. For example, my company does a 4% match if I invest 4%. I bumped this up to 6%, so technically 10% of my pre-tax salary is being invested. But should it be 10% plus the 4% company match going into my 401(k)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Reading all of the posts here has made me very nervous about my ability to retire at some point. Currently I make around $30k a year and contribute 6% of my pre-tax pay to my company's 401k (2% match). I only have around $1k in there so far - the kicker is that I'm 39, so I'm looking at maybe 31-33 years before retirement age, and all my projections show me accumulating a little over $1m in that time.

I initially thought that would be a good amount, but after reading some of the posts here I'm feeling decidedly anxious about having enough to even die with dignity. About the only thing I feel good about is that I only have a $2500 loan as my debt and that my credit score is in the 790-800 range. I rent, paying $450 a month, and I own my truck and some furniture, but that's about it for me. At the end of the month I have about $300-350 to stash in savings, but I'm using it to build up my emergency fund so that I have 3-6 months expenses saved up. Of course, that means it will be at least a year, probably two, before I have enough money to put into a Roth IRA, which over 30 years will cost me quite a bit in earned interest.

What more could I be doing to accelerate the increase of my retirement nest egg (aside from living like a homeless person since I already live like a pauper)?