Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Just looking for some opinions on what I currently hold and my approximate allocations:

VFINX - Vanguard 500 Index Fund - 25%
VEXMX - Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund - 25%
VWIGX - Vanguard International Growth Fund - 25%
VEIEX - Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund - 25%

I'm 23 years old and don't have any plans for any large purchases (a house, etc.) in the near future. I feel I may be a little too heavy on the emerging markets and am thinking about rebalancing by adding VTRIX soon, but I still want to maintain a 50/50 split between domestic and international equities. My proposed rebalancing would be:

VFINX - 25%
VEXMX - 25%
VWIGX - 20%
VTRIX - 20%
VEIEX - 10%

Does this sound reasonable assuming this money is currently just being saved for retirement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Medikit posted:

Just received some news. It looks like the minimums of admiral funds at vanguard were decreased substantially from $100,000 to $10,000. That's a pretty drat good deal.

I assume there is no reason at all I shouldn't transfer everything from my investor shares to admiral shares, correct?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I contributed to my Roth early in March 2014 for tax year 2014, when I had a salary well below $114,000. Then I won a poker tournament later in the year and my AGI went over $129k. When I filed my taxes a few days ago, I was surprised to see that I was over the limit and that I had to pay a $330 penalty.

I'm already in the process of recharacterizing my Roth contribution (full $5,500) to a Traditional IRA so I don't have to pay any more penalties. My question is whether I can do a backdoor Roth on the contributions that will be recharacterized? I don't have any other money in my traditional IRA.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gripen5 posted:

I am sure I will probably need the help of a tax professional for this, but...

I got married this year and my wife has lot of student load debt that she is paying back based on income (she works in public interest and it will likely all be discharged after 10 years). If we file jointly, it would greatly effect the payment amount . However, if we file separately, we are unable to contribute to Roth IRA's. However all is not lost, I just read that it is still possible to contribute to a Traditional IRA with after tax dollars, then convert it to a Roth (I guess you guys have been calling it the backdoor Roth conversion). I had read it a few times and assumed it was nothing I would need to worry about anytime soon because I was not close to the earning limit, but here I am.

Has anyone had any experience with the above situation? Is there a limit on the amount that can be converted through a backdoor conversion? It sounds like you could contribute as much as you want.

The details of it make it sound really... wrong. Why even have the limits at all. Just seems to screw people over who have their own Traditional IRA from a 401k rollover.

I am in the exact same situation and would appreciate answers to your questions as well. My wife just graduated medical school and is doing income based repayment, and every one of her friends and colleagues recommended to file separately so that the repayment amounts are smaller.

I made a Roth IRA contribution for $5500 in February, then got married in March. Does it matter that the contribution was a month before I got married, or am I still not allowed to contribute to a Roth IRA at any point during the tax year if filing married but separate for that same year?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Droo posted:

I would be willing to bet that you would both be better off in the long term by filing married/joint and paying more on the loans (and paying less in tax) but you would have to post more details and actually figure it out for sure. You would need at least:

Income of each person
Total student loan amounts/interest rates
Current minimum Payment
New Payment if filing married
Debt forgiveness date if one exists

1. She makes ~$50,000, I make $86,000
2. ~$230,000 total student loan debt, interest rate is about 5.5% on average (a couple different loans with different rates)
3. She hasn't started repayment yet (starts in 2016), but based on her salary the estimate is about $350 a month
4. If filing jointly, the estimated repayment amount is $1,400
5. 25 years

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Droo posted:

I'm surprised that one of you has a 9 year horizon and the other one has a 25 year horizon... are you both sure those dates are accurate? Is this something that is entirely state-based or something?

The earlier poster mentioned that his wife is working in the public sector, which allows for a 10 year forgiveness. My wife will be working in the private sector most likely, which only allows for a 25 year forgiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Droo posted:

It seems to me like she would end up paying off all the loans eventually (presumably will have high income eventually and won't make it the full 25 years before they are paid off). So if you file separately, you would basically be paying $600 per year extra in tax and giving up your IRA contributions in order to defer a big chunk of your payments until later. That might be worth it or not depending on your budgets, but it seems like with you making $86k, money shouldn't really be too much of a problem, so if I were you I don't think I would file separately.

What do you mean I would be giving up IRA contributions? I understand I cannot directly contribute to a Roth IRA if filing separately, but as I understand it I can still contribute to a Traditional IRA (and I was wondering if I could still do a backdoor).