Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What's a good discount broker to start an IRA at?

The OP has a link, which has a link with a rundown of different brokers, but it all kind of went over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So.

Schwab or Vanguard for a Roth IRA?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Unormal posted:

When your post-tax, post-inflation real return is 2-3%, the difference between an average ER of 0.2% and 1% or even 0.5% or god forbid 2% is HUGE. Just keep this in mind.

I have no idea what this means.

What does it mean?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Unormal posted:

Expense ratios that look so small you want to ignore them (1.5%) are, in fact, gigantic, because let's say your total real returns after taxes and inflation are something like 5%. 1.5% is a huge chunk of 5%, so even though 1.2 looks a lot like 0.2, There's a whole world of difference between a 0.2 and a 1.2 expense ratio in terms of your final results.

To attempt to stop speaking in gobbldeygook: Imagine you could choose between two pretty similar broad-based funds, one with a 0.5% ER and one with a 1.5% ER. If you invested $10k in each and each returned the same 10%, after 30 years of compounding you have:

0.5% ER = $150,132
1.5% ER = $110,884

So by reducing your ER by 1% you saved 40k in final value (about 25% of the .5ER fund's value at the end). Teeny tiny slivers of ER can mount up to huge amounts of money over time (for you or the fund managers, it's totally your choice)

I see.

So what does that translate to in the context of trying to choose between Vanguard and Schwab for a Roth IRA?

Your initial response was to the statement "a lot of people like Vanguard because of low fees", so were you agreeing with it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the awesome replies guys. I'll be opening a Roth IRA at Vanguard and go from there. I don't know where, but I'll figure that out eventually. :)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nice.

I just found out that because I'm not a citizen I cannot create a Vanguard account online. I need to mail out a form, and in that form include another form that I get from the IRS.

SIGH

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I opened a Roth IRA with Fidelity tonight - I've been planning to do it but I found out that the deadline for 2009 contributions is tomorrow, so I just hurried to their website, filled out an app and contributed $3,500 for last year.

Of course, I don't know what to do with the cash sitting in the account now. I just didn't want to miss the chance for the 2009 contribution (since the earlier you start saving/investing the better).

I'm reading The Boglehead's Guide to Investing to hopefully that will give me some tips.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How does early retirement work with regards to IRAs and 401ks? I know there's heavy penalties for withdrawing from them before you're 59 or something like that. So where do people get their income from when they retire early?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Other investments? Just plain ol taxable investments.

Should those be prioritized over Roth/401k if goal is early retirement, then?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

obi_ant posted:

So I'm looking into my 401k with greater detail and I noticed that the fund I'm invested in Hewitt EnnisKnupp 2050 Fund has a net expense ration of 0.70%.

This seems a but high to me, but since I can only pick from what my work place provides I'm out of luck?

I'm looking at other things aside from the pre-mixed portfolios and they are even higher at roughly 1% (small, mid and large U.S. Equity) and of course the company stock would be at 0%.

Do you have any non-managed funds, as in index funds? If not, stay with what you have (since it's the lowest exp ratio), check what types of assets it is composed of and their percentages, and then take that into account when calculating your broader asset allocation (which would involve things like IRAs).

Depending on how much bureaucracy your company has, you may be able to lobby your HR's benefits person to have them add some low-cost index funds into the 401k options. I know people who have done that before, although it took a while, and many meetings. It may or may not be worth the battle in the grand scheme of things.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 14, 2013

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Walked posted:

Followup question. The general advice I've seen is to max 401k, wipe out debts, make sure your emergency fund is in good situation, and max out a Roth. What's after this? My fiancee are just about wrapped up on our debts as of this month (about $300 left on one card, and $900 on the other, which will be paid in full this Friday). We're past the max income for a roth contribution, we both max our 401k, and we've got about 25k in savings at this point (and I dont have any interest in going below 20k as our emergency fund).

I havent done a ton of reading on investing because we've been preoccupied with getting our poo poo together and fixing old bad habits and debts. What's next?

You could open a 529 and start saving for your future kids' college education.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

What's the strategy for maxing a traditional 401k, anyhow? Is the $17.5k cap just for money that you put in, or does that count employer contributions? What happens if you go over the cap accidentally, or is that usually prevented by the 401k managers?

If I'm trying to save for a down payment on a house, is it still recommended that I try to hit that 401k cap? I'm contributing 2% more than what I need to get the full match from my employer, and I always hit my Roth IRA contribution limit, I'm just wondering whether I should be allocating more funds to the 401k in lieu of my normal mutal fund account (which is where I'm putting money for the house down payment, some day).

The 401k cap does not include your employer's contributions. It's basically $17.5k + whatever your employer contributes. As for going over the limit, it's up to you to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't happen. If you go over, the amount over the limit is taxed twice: first as taxable income, and a second time when you take it out during retirement.

Perhaps someone else can answer your second question. My educated guess is that saving for a house should take priority, since larger down-payments can significantly reduce the total you end up paying for the house. But it may also be that it depends on the price of the houses in the area you're looking to settle down in.

No Wave posted:

The 17.5k cap is just for money that you put in - the employer cap is dependent on income but the combined max is like 51k. So you're not gonna hit that.

Yes, but out of that amount, only $17,500 is allowed to come out of your pocket. It is in fact possible to hit & exceed that limit.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 16, 2013

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

If you make/save so much that you have to worry about not hitting the cap, then falling short several hundred dollars shouldn't be a big deal - you will die rich anyway! Just put that into a taxable retirement account or a 529 or something, and you'll be good!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick question: people keep mentioning that a 401K is capped after a certain amount. Can anyone just confirm standard policies and what to do once it's capped? I currently have a 401K, I contribute 6% of my check which is matched 100%, and anything else I put in a separate Roth.

1. Contribute to 401k up to your employer's match.
2. Max your IRA
3. Max your 401k

This is generally the recommended way. Depending on the funds offered by your 401k and your current life priorities, you can replace #3 with something else such as a house savings fund or a 529, or even a taxable retirement account. For example if all the funds in the 401k have massive expense ratios (%1.5+) then it might be better to contribute up to employer's match (so you get the "free money") and then put the rest elsewhere.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lysandus posted:

Is Vanguard still the goon approved investment company? I am getting a new job and I think I want to rollover my 401k into a Roth IRA.

Yes. It has the best index funds in terms of both composition and expenses.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question.

15 months ago I invested $60k in a brokerage account. Today that investment is worth $70k.

If I sold $60k worth of investments, how much capital gains tax would I owe? Is there an easy way to calculate? Should my broker (in this case, Fidelity) have tools for calculating this?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You'll owe the long-term capital gains rate on 10k, which depends on what your income is this year.

Hmm, not sure I understand the logic.

What if I sold all 70k worth?

What about 30k worth?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't get to decide which part of the money you're withdrawing. If I understand it correctly, the gains are the portion considered withdrawn first.

I see. So if I sell and withdraw only 5k then I’m taxed on that 5k, but anything over 10k I’m taxed on 10k.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Follow up question: will I get a document from the custodian (Fidelity) early next year that specifies the amount I need to pay taxes on? Or is that something that is purely my responsibility to calculate?

I'm hoping for something like a W-2 or W-4 where I take numbers from boxes and type them into Turbotax or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nice, thanks everyone! :)