Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Is it even worth the stress to put 3% in a 401(k) if you get no employer match and live paycheck to paycheck or should I just wait until I get a new job that pays more? I'm 25 and currently job searching and have had some positive interviews. The 401(k) would be through John Hancock. I only contribute $100 monthly into a Roth IRA. This is my first time I can enroll in a 401(k) and I sort of want to do it just to get SOMETHING started, but i'm not sure if my budget can handle the strain.

I have $2600 of credit card debt that should be paid off this year and 30k of student loan debt.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
So my Roth IRA can do better I think. I don't know poo poo but I know I want out of this Franklin Templeton fund with an expense ratio of 2.09%. Except I don't want to sell with everything tanking right now. Should I find a fund to exchange? Stay the course and keep saving to get into Vanguards targeted accounts then sell the FT shares when things are a little rosier? I rolled over in January to Vanguard.

I'm one of those put it into a 2055 fund and forget about it. I've put in $5100 with not much to show for it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That fund has mirrored the performance of Vanguard's Total Stock Market fund. Selling it to buy the latter is fine because they're equally "tanked" right now.

And you'll get to keep a lot more if it by avoiding that 2% fee.

Thanks. I'll go ahead and switch over.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Finally was offered a 401(k). The vest window is 6 years (lol), but the fund options are pretty good I think.

If I could get some opinions on where to put my money (if anyone has had any of these funds and recommends them). I'm starting from 0 at 28 (other than my Roth) so I was going to do 6%. They'll match half of that, but my timeline for leaving this job I'd get 20%. Or is 10% a better idea and contribute to my IRA as I can? I'm not super risk adverse. Also just moved $6K into Vanguard's 2055 Target. I make $63K.

http://imgur.com/xeJZNKx
http://imgur.com/C7YeW4q

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 26, 2016

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

mrmcd posted:

Those are some really lovely expense ratios, but GRMIX is probably where you want most of your money with maybe some in FGBPX depending on your risk tolerance.

The expense ratios are so bad though I would try to diversify in mid/small/international using your IRA if you can.

drat. This shows how much I know. :shepspends:

Probably 90/10 or 85/15.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What are the steps to take to get my employer to make my contributions to my 401(k) in a timely manner? They spent 4 months without turning over my with holdings to Nationwide. It posted August 15. This month? Nothing. I've sent them an e-mail, but I want to start taking legal steps because I'm royally pissed and also freaked about their gross incompetence/possible scam.

They blamed the last time on a new Nationwide rep, but I'm not buying it.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 26, 2016

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Is there a good spot to learn about private stock options, IPOs and valuations?

A lot of my other financial needs are covered. I'm really curious about them and my company is doing well. There are IPO rumors so I just want to have a giggle at what could be, and also want to be informed. We're a 15 year old middleware tech company. With my current financial goals I won't be buying any gambling shares.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 7, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Thanks for this! Very awesome read.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm 32 this year and have about ~27,000 for retirement. Finally, I'm in a position to put a full 10% towards my goals, but I know I'm behind. Personal Capital's retirement planner puts me at 1800 short I need to catch up. I had a friend in finance help me pick out a mix for my 401k and I'm pretty happy with it (he's probably reading this thread hello!). I make 101,000 a year and I live in NYC.

My fund breakdowns are

Vanguard Roth
Target Date 2055: $10,087

Vanguard Traditional
Target Date 2055: $11,503

Lincoln Financial 401k: $5,175
SACG Vanguard 500 Index 50%
SACD SS SP MidCap Idx 15%
SACH VG Dev Markets Idx Admrl 30%
SAA9 SS Rsl Sml Cap Grw NL 5%

Basically should I bump up my 401k to 12% or the rest to my Roth? I get no employer match.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm willing to change my strategy. My concern is mostly tax advantaged space in a high tax area. So yes hopefully someone familiar with NYC area investing can help.

It's also best for me to automate my investing, but I can probably elect deferrals with HR. I didn't look too much into it, but do have access to a Roth account through my employer since we have Vanguard Target Date funds available to us.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 16, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Definitely healthcare would have the most direct impact. I'm paying 104 a month for 2 years to pay off a hospital bill from having my appendix removed, and I had the best insurance my employer offered.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I can’t get a HSA outside of my employer correct? We have a HDHP but the deductible is covered by a fully funded HRA. We have a FSA option but I know those suck? I also use it for my dental and vision OOP costs, but it doesn’t count towards my medical deductible.

I want to get lasik and it’s going to be probably more than what’s in my HRA at the end of this year. My HRA will cover lasik too!

Maybe I could do one eye at a time? One in December this year and December next.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 16, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'd rather spend the cash and live some experiences, but that's part of my rebalancing I'm working on within myself (and part of the perspective of losing a friend who was 30). 30k+ would get you a nice trip around the world and you're still young enough to handle jet lag and the stresses of travel with ease. I'm 32 and active/physically fit, and starting to notice some aspects of aging.

But that's just me, and at least you've waited long enough to know you really really want it.

Maybe waiting another 5-10 years until you're closer to retirement (and will be able to enjoy the car more), then you can get that car and it will have even more tech in it?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 18, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, this is why I’m very hesitant to go full FI/RE. I need the safety net of being able to work again if required, and tech America hates it when you take a break from working for more than a few months.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Is there a good spot to read up on using a 529 on yourself for post-grad studies? Want to avoid any pitfalls, esp since I'm looking at grad school overseas in the next ~2-4 years or if I decided to not pursue grad school then use it for a grad cert or even learning a second language for funsies.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Pollyanna posted:

🤐

The book looks pretty good, I'm already liking it just by the description alone.

I’m reading “Your Money or Your Life” and it’s a pretty “woke” book I think you’d enjoy as well after you read the four pillars.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Future future pie in the sky planning question. I have access to a Roth 401k through my employer and already have 9-10k in both Roth and Traditional accounts through Vanguard. I'm a job hop away (or a generous raise) from being ineligible for Roth contributions. Should I leave the Roth 401k unopened and hope for a Roth 401k option from any future employer or should I go ahead on open a Roth 401k account now? I'm currently contributing 10% to my unmatched 401k, which has about 6k now and another 3% post-tax to my Roth.

Reminder I'm in NYC so doing 10% pre-tax is a better tax situation for me.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 3, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
the only downward graph that matters to me is my debt paydown graph. :)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Is there a good primer somewhere about private stock options from my employer? I don't think they have any interest in going public for a while since they've been private for 15 years. Not sure if it's worth it. We're in a very late stage funding as well.

FWIWI: I'm already doing 10% in my 401k with another 3% into my Roth.

Shits and giggles really. Also would like to be more informed since Carta keeps reminding me I have shares to exercise on.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 16, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

That's where that is thank you.

I need to do more research on my end on what my ESP entitles. I think I don't really get anything out of it unless we go public, and there was one rumor last year that landed in the WSJ and that's all I've heard.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Did everyone abandon this thread for discord?

I legit need a fiduciary financial advisor that can help me with some tax consequences. I had some confidential stuff at work come up yesterday and really am not sure how to proceed. Would rather hire a goon.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Edit to protect my jerb

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 26, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Awesome. TY! I'll do more research this weekend.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've been trying to help goons get jobs at my company currently so it's easy to figure that out. :) Thank you though. I have some local resources through my partner too.

Not trying to be paranoid, just don't know where I'm crossing a line y'know?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like you want general advice on what other goons do with company shares should they have a liquidity event. The answer is sell them. You will pay mountains of taxes but that's OK.

I was thinking this too since I have some high-interest debt I could pay down with it for the instant return (or help max my roth this year not sure) and it's monopoly money until there is another event. I'm still limited about what I can sell and will still be holding some monopoly money. It's really not much, but still cash I wouldn't have without this event. I've only been with my company for a year so I'm not sure if it short or long term but in our mtg they said it would be ordinary income. I know what most of this means, but would still like someone to help guide me through the tax side of it all since they're not withholding taxes.

dexter6 posted:

Might be able to find someone here: https://www.napfa.org/find-an-advisor

Thanks!

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 26, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I just finished your money or your life and I think if I own it would be a duplex so I could also have some other income (and have it not be exorbitant rent or have my livelihood depend on my renters), but she glosses over the "become a landlord how could it be hard lol" part.

It's a lifestyle choice first is how I've always heard owning framed. For me I still like the freedom of being able to pack up and go somewhere in a year if I want/need.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

crazypeltast52 posted:

How is that book?

It's ok. She definitely glosses over some very complicated things like they're no big deal and it feels like from her life story she's had a life of privilege and a huge head start just from her timing. The overall points are good but it'd be a very tone-deaf book to give to someone without the access of privilege she had or someone like my friend who dropped out of college and is stuck with 12-15/hr jobs with no roads to pay off her 50k in defaulted student loans. It feels boot-strappy and American dreamy at times. It feels like a lot of her examples come from people who already had the means to succeed and only needed some minor changes.

The attitude around money is good and as someone who struggles with shopping addiction and compulsive spending I'm going to be going through her steps. I've definitely started to review my attitude of "oh well you work your whole life that's the game" and start shifting towards an idea of part-time retirement to pursue hobbies.

From looking her up on Wiki she went to a top high school on Long Island and Brown in the mid-60s so she definitely had a head start.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 22, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Do not time the market. Invest as a long term strat and set and forget.

To illustrate my point here is my Traditional IRA that I haven't contributed a dime towards (Roth time for me) this year. Gotta love that March crash and people coming in here in a panic

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Sobriquet posted:

Does anyone know how an HSA works if I also have an HRA? Basically I get a debit card that covers my whole deductible. I asked HR about contributing to an HSA and they said I could do it only after I exhaust the HRA money. Last year I wasn’t close but this year a babby might make that possible. Has anyone done this?

Wouldn't you hit your deductible with a babby?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What is an APR that you can pay just the monthly while prioritizing retirement savings? I'm approaching my high interest debt being paid off. Going into the new year, the rest is going to be about 3k at 8.75%. I could pay that off in ~3-4 months (500/m extra) or start working towards maxing my IRA. After that will be my student loans at ~4.5% and my medical debt that currently at 1k and 0%.

I'm guessing the real answer is pay it off in the first quarter and use all that extra for the rest of the year and just make extra payments on student loans as I can.

Like I'm going to be ending the year with 41k in retirement savings at 32. I feel like this next year I should be really throwing cash at my retirement vehicles. This year I'm saving 13,000 and would love to bump it up to more.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 20, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Gazpacho posted:

There is no perfect answer but IRAs are a special "use it or lose it" case. That means the question is not merely a comparison of rates, but a comparison between the benefit of making a contribution now and letting it earn over your working life, vs. never making that contribution and reducing your interest expense on the debt instead.

This is a way to look at IRAs I've never considered. I'll definitely be making 2021 payments to my 2020 Roth now.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
There's always talk of dems raising taxes when a dem president is going to win. It's not happening based on current dem politics. It's your standard regime change rumors

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

moana posted:

The goodness of their heart. Ooh, I looked it up and Raymond James charges $125. I wonder if anyone else charges more.

I think Mass Mutual charged me $300 for my 401k rollover

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

FateFree posted:

I had mint for years, tried personal capital, some accounts didn't work, went back to mint.

Some things don't work on mint for me and some things dont work on pc for me it's fun.

I like PC's UI more.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Need to vent somewhere about interest rates being slashed and I can't refinance my student loving loans.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Love to cheer for number, now going to go cheer against number in the the other thread.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We all get the emails

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Fireside Nut posted:

lol I thought of this thread when I got the email :3:

Lol same

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

nwin posted:

Open to all ideas here. My wife will eventually go back to work in probably 4 years so that will be more income, but just trying to stay ahead of everything here.

Can you roll your CD into a 529 for the kids and use your GI Bill? The kids have time to get compound interest, you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
More benefits related, but it's long term planning so

I have an employer funded HRA that covers our HDHP deductible and can also use it for medications/copays/dental and vision expenses. I've blown through it this year cause of physical therapy and medical billing being a mystery and am on the hook for some medical bills at the end of this year. For next year, hope to be hitting my deductible with physical therapy, plus pursuing therapy via a mental health buy-up.

Also want to get braces cause now we have a buy-up that covers 2k of ortho expenses. Also have my yearly contact lens expense.

I guess it's a "no duh" option to open up a FSA for this coming year? All of my listed expenses are covered by our FSA and HRA plan. I'm afraid of the "use it or lose", but can still carry over $550 into 2022 and use it. My gut is telling me I'm going to use every cent, but want to make sure.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 12, 2020