Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

antiga posted:

Question for the thread. What's the right amount of money (% of income) to save for retirement? Is there such a thing as too much?

I am 25 and make $65 in the NYC metro area. I can afford to cap a pretax 401k and a rIRA, but to be honest it doesn't leave me much flexibility for other savings. If I did not have a paid off vehicle, it would probably be impossible. I pay slightly above minimum on my 5% student loans (I am in grad school part time, so the loans are trending up). It's confusing with the after tax and pretax dollars mixed, but it's greater than 30% of gross salary going to retirement.

Reading Bogleheads is enough to make almost anyone feel poor - but how should I feel about this situation? Long term goals like saving for a home downpayment, a car replacement fund, et cetera looks impossible if my goal is to maximize tax-advantaged retirement.

Hello me! At 5% interest it would be a good idea to pay downs those loans ASAP. The interest rates on your loans are a known quantity while future market returns are not. Also, if you lose your job or have a financial emergency it'd be nice to have those loans gone or down to a manageable amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are prenuptials a personal decision or are they just a good idea when disparate-valued couples marry? My sister's net worth is $400,000 but her boyfriend is -$100,000 thanks to student loans and the choice to own a bicycle shop.

Its never not a good idea to have a prenupt.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Now would be a good time to start upping those 401k contributions. As a young investor, this is pretty fun to watch (as long as I don't lose my job).

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I'd only buy company stock if they offered a good match (at least 25%) and weren't too strict about trading. My company offers 25% match on up to $184/pay period but its $40 per trade :stare:. I have company stock at around 10% of my total assets right now, which is a bit high, but I plan on selling off all the positions every 6 months or so for the free money.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 16, 2014

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
We get a 25% discount, up to $200/pay period. Its costs $40 for a sell order through Fidelity though, so we have to sell in bunches to avoid getting hosed by commissions. No look back either, which sucks, and the executor doesn't put in the stock purchase orders on a set schedule.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
While helping my GF rollover her Fidelity 401k into a Fidelity IRA I had her put the total amount in a Vanguard mutual fund. She had to pay a $75 fee for the transaction but the expense ratio was 0.08% vs 0.75% for the equivalent Fidelity fund. Fine print didn't mention any additional fees, this was the correct decision? We're like 30 years away for retirement for reference and the transfer amount was ~150k.

edit: should be more specific sorry, the comparison is FDEEX (0.75%) vs VFFVX (0.08%) + $75 transaction fee.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 28, 2022

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Fidelity should have an equivalent fund (freedom index funds) with a lower expense ratio than the Vanguard version. But if this is a one time thing then $75 isn't too bad. Just stick to Fidelity index funds in the future. I'd also consider exchanging the Vanguard funds to the Fidelity version since it is tax deferred.

edit https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/315793828 The ER is slightly higher but really negligible

I didn't know Fidelity had Admiral share equivalents drat. Future contributions will be in FDEWX thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

drk posted:

For what its worth I have 100% of my retirement funds in VFIFX (Vanguard Target 2050). The ER is low and I like that I literally never have to think about it.

I think the most compelling reason to not use target date fund is if you strongly disagree with their allocation (for example, if you dont want any exposure to international). Or, if you want a fixed allocation indefinitely instead of a glidepath.

Same for my Roth, it's just really nice not having to think about reallocation.