Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007
I'd be a lot more helpful if my clues button weren't broken.
I'm 23 and considering starting a Roth IRA for myself through Vangaurd. Considering going with a mix of VGSTX and a bond fund initially around 50-50 with this year's max IRA investment, and then dollar-cost averaging myself into more VGSTX and some VEXMX with next year's and ongoing investments. Does this sound like a sound strategy?

I'm seeing a lot of love here for VBMFX, but what about VUSTX, which is a long term treasury fund? could I really go wrong with either of them?

PIPBoy 2000 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007

80k posted:

I wouldn't touch long-term treasuries... one of the last things I would dump my money in right now. VBMFX is ok, but at today's prices, I would go for short-term investment grade bonds or treasury inflation-protected bonds (TIPS). But do your own research and be aware that despite the extraordinarily high risk premiums for short-term corporates, there is still a lot of risk out there and the ride can be bumpy. TIPS are a very volatile asset class as well but trading at historically very attractive real yields.

Is there a reason that short-term corporates are preferred over intermediate-term or even High Yield Corporates? I know short-term should carry lower risk levels, but it seems like now may be a great time to get in on High Yield corporates with prices what they are now. I'd be going though Vangaurd so I'd be looking at VFICX or VWEHX. Would I be crazy to buy either of these with the idea of riding them out long term?

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007
Have REITs now fallen so far that it would actually make sense to add them to your portfolio? Vanguards REIT (VGSIX) is yielding over 10% right now. Does that really reflect junk-bond levels of risk?

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007

Yaos posted:

If destroying Europe twice and western Russia once did not end everything, it's going to be hard to do this century. It's good for me that it's going down, I can buy more shares!

Amen, I'm not buying stocks for next year. I'm buying them for 40-50 years from now.

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007
My company is switching 401(k) plans from Vanguard to Merrill Lynch on the first of the year. How much of a fee increase should I expect?

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007
So we were presented with details on our company's new 401(k) plan today. Apparently the Index funds they will offer (which remain to be named) have total expense ratios of between 2 and 6 basis points. I can't decide if this is awesome or if they are lying to us.

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007
My (rather large) company is moving from Vanguard Brokerage with actual Vanguard funds to our parent-company managed "savings plan" with broadly managed funds of funds through Merrill Lynch. Can someone explain this language to me?

quote:

Although called a "Fund," this investment option is not a mutual fund, but is a separately managed account that does not constitute a registered investment company. Only plan participants can purchase units of this "Fund," which is not publicly traded and is not listed on exchanges.

Listed expense ratios are very low. (.02-.05% for the index funds.) Is this a typical setup? My suspicious nature has me worried. Are there compounded expense ratios as this is a fund that holds other funds or are we just getting some sort of institutional rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIPBoy 2000
Oct 29, 2007
How's this asset allocation for a young professional couple in their late 20's with no kids?

35% Large Cap - VFIAX
25% Small Cap Value - VSIAX
25% International Equity - VTIAX
15% Short Term Bond Market - VBIRX