Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
I'm just getting started at 34. I'm lucky to have a job I don't ever want to retire from completely, but I still want to get serious about building wealth.

In 2023 I maxed a Roth and put the rest into my employer's 403(b). I did the lowest effort options -- for the 403(b) that was the default Vanguard target date fund, and for the Roth.... I did the Fidelity robo-investor. I kinda regret that and I'm moving that into a self-directed account now so I can set up a three fund portfolio.

I've got two questions, and if this gigantic thread has already addressed them, feel free to point me back that way:

1) Will there be a real, meaningful advantage to taking my 403(b) investment out of VFFVX and making a three fund portfolio out of Fidelity funds? I feel like I'd basically be replicating the asset allocation of the Vanguard fund anyways.

2) I'm trying to decide between Fidelity ZERO funds vs their regular index funds. I see that the ZERO funds are weighted slightly differently than the benchmark indexes -- insignificantly so, as far as I can tell, since they seem to have performed basically the same -- and I'm aware that I'd have to liquidate them if I ever were moving away from Fidelity. I think both of those things would work for me, so it seems like I should pick the one with zero expenses. Am I missing anything?

Really appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge. Wish I would have spent a li'l more time here and a little less in GBS in my 20s...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
My gigantic public hospital matches all of up to 2% into a 403(b), but we also have a cash balance pension plan to which they put 5-10% per year based on age, that I can get paid out as a lump sum when I leave. Is there a way to roll that into a tax-advantaged account? Shouldn't come up for a few years, but the matching talk made me think of it.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Antillie posted:

a bunch of DRS shares I had

You trying to ride them to the moon or what?

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
Oh that's actually really nice. Gotta stop letting the meme stock thread rot my brain.

FWIW I've had good experience with Fidelity's customer support too, although I'm new and have tiny li'l accounts.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
I had two robo-advisor accounts with Fidelity (before I read this thread) and they treat them the same way -- "closed" just meant emptying them out, and I had to hide them in the UI but they're still there.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
Maybe you're going to work there in the future and they're just getting the account ready for you

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
the top of the market is really fond of synecdoche (insofar as we take the s&p 500 to represent the whole)

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
I've got most of my 401k in forex but I'm thinking of diversifying to bitcoin

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
I moved my HYSA money into a short term treasuries ETF at Fidelity just for the convenience of having everything in one place

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

jokes posted:

I have a feeling HYSAs will drop faster as rates fall, whereas actual funds will be beholden to the performance of the investments which keeps things honest.

This was the thing for me (in addition to having everything in one place) -- I didn't want to have to worry about whether I'm getting the best possible rate.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Residency Evil posted:

Since we're on the topic, how do the mechanics of the Fidelity CMA work? It looks like the interest rate is 2.7%, and in order to get the 5% rate you have to manually buy a MMF, after which Fidelity will liquidate money in the core position at 2.7% first, followed by the 5% MMF. Those of you with a fidelity CMA, is there a way to automatically buy the 5% position each day? Do you manually do it each month? And how do they calculate interest in this situation? Do they do it daily? Monthly?

This post answers your questions in detail https://thefinancebuff.com/fidelity-cash-management-checking-savings.html

His conclusion is basically that you should just open a brokerage account and set its core position to your MMF of choice -- Fidelity will give you a routing number and account number for brokerage accounts also, so you can use it (i.e. your core position funds within it, it won't auto liquidate VT for you) like a checking account.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
I bought VTI at Fidelity yesterday and didn't have a fee, as usual

e: the article says the fees start in June. But it also says it'll only apply to ETFs from those 9 companies.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Boris Galerkin posted:

Saw that Fidelity was adding SPAXX as a core position for their cash management accounts in June, so no more having to manually buy SPAXX or manually sending money over to an actual brokerage account w/ Fidelity.

They confirm it in their official subreddit and I see the same fine print on my combined statement for March: https://www.reddit.com/r/fidelityinvestments/comments/1bui60e/spaxx_as_cma_core_position_coming/

Hey thank you for sharing, I'm going to take advantage of this.

...to make like seven extra dollars in interest. Still counts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
what's figma

VV not the punchline i was expecting but thank you

pyknosis fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 30, 2024