Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mu Zeta posted:

My boss told me he's offering a Simple IRA starting in 2024.

Congrats. I kept trying to get my previous (small business) employer to do this. They never did, and I think you've officially become an adult when you think, "huh, I want a job with a 401(k)/etc."

Anyway, do be aware this complicates backdoor Roth IRAs, if that's a thing your income is high enough for and you want to take advantage of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Leperflesh posted:

oh yeah I knew that lol

backdoor shouldn't have tax consequences assuming the trad ira was empty prior to making the contribution and then it's immediately converted, although there is a form to file

However, if you have other traditional IRAs (or simple/SEP IRAs), then things get complicated

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SpelledBackwards posted:

you contribute to a traditional IRA (but because of your income it will be non tax-deductible) and then convert it to a Roth IRA contribution (which would've been non-tax-deductible anyway) via the backdoor Roth method. Vanguard makes this super easy to do, not sure how easy it is as other exchanges.

Do note this only works cleanly if you have no other non-Roth IRAs (even a SIMPLE or SEP can futz it up).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

MegaZeroX posted:

It is worth noting that this will probably be patched at some point. Dems would have done it when they had the trifecta as part of the Build Back Better legislation, but Manchin through a hissy fit and wouldn't allow it. A future dem trifecta will probably actually do it unless they are reliant on a Manchin-like figure again to pass leglislation.

I like that this all originated from Peter Thiel's abuse of Roth accounts, and those loopholes they didn't actually close in most versions of the bill.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm curious if having a SIMPLE plan would affect my ability to do backdoor Roth contributions?

It would.