Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

You can thank the wonderful world of investment regulation and compliance for that.

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kys
Dec 8, 2007

I've looked up Vanguards S&P 500 compared to the USAA S&P.

Vanguard really is the best with a lower annual cost at .18% instead of USAA .33%

kys
Dec 8, 2007

What would be the best investment when it comes to Buy and Hold? Currently, I have all my Roth IRA in the S&P Index fund and even though its fine now, I'll eventually have to diversify in order to not get hosed.

I've been hearing something about "Life-cycle" funds in the TSP. Basically, as you grow older your investments are taken out of equities and put into bonds, and other securities. Is there anything similiar out there for my Roth?

kys
Dec 8, 2007

As soon as Jan. 1st rolls around I plan on maxing out my Roth IRA contribution to the full $5,500. I have been saving up cash in a savings account and I plan to buy in while the market is low. Has anyone had experience doing this kind of thing? Do you prefer to pay in monthly installments spread out throughout the year?

I plan on investing all of it into the USAA S&P Index fund. I can afford the volatility right now.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

80k posted:

wordz

It will just make things easier having one less savings vehicle I would have to pay into every month. The only doubt that crosses my mind is the fact that the market can take a huge poo poo like it did this year.

kys fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 6, 2008

kys
Dec 8, 2007

I am a newbie when it comes to investing, but how can I take advantage of a Roth 401k? It just seems to me like a Roth but with a higher limit. My employer does not offer it, but Im trying to find if that is the only way I can contribute.

Also, I have a lot of money in savings and I like seeing the amount of interest that comes in every month. Is is terrible to leave a lot of money like that sitting around in a taxable account? I don't really need it, I just like to know that it is completely liquid.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

I'm having a hard time understanding how compound interest works in my fund(Vanguard Target Retirement 2045) for my Roth IRA. As a basis, I am comparing the fund to my taxable savings account with HSBC. I have XXXX amount of money and I get 2.6% in interest which gets added to the total. That is simple and easy for me to understand.I do not receive dividends for my fund, therefore my IRA is valued at the what the fund is currently valued. My question is, if I am not receiving dividends how exactly is interest compounding in my account?

80k, I agree that the Vanguard retirement funds are not conservative enough, what do you think about having a 80-20 Roth with a Mutual Fund? Thanks.

kys fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Yeah, but it gets wierd because December's 2017 last pay hits accounts in January. I don't know if that counts as the 27th PP.

Nah, they do it by calendar year so it's always the Tuesday after payday (usually Monday.) As long as that Tuesday falls in that calendar year, it could be 27 PP but doubtful.