Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 29 and have been doing my 6% company match now for 18 months which has me fully vested in the Verizon 401k plan, but I really have no idea what I'm doing and I'm -15% YTD, I found this link

http://www.fundadvice.com/401k-help/401k-plans/401k-verizon.html

and was curious if this makes any sense and what some of you would do with these fund options, on top of what you see above there is also the usual 2045 Fund and another Retirement and Investment fund that aren't mentioned on that page.

Thanks for any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Does it make more send for me to open a Roth IRA and contribute the max every year towards retirement or now in the short term save that money to buy a house when the market eventually stabalizes? I just can't figure out what's best. Currently I have a 401k that I've been doing for 18 months, company matches 100% up to 6%, so that's going ok. But can't figure out what to do next. My worst fear is putting my savings into a Roth IRA and then getting laid off and not having any emergency income.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I went ahead and opened a Roth IRA with Vanguard

For now I just put in the $5000 total for 2008 and put $4000 in the Target 2050 Retirement Fund and $1000 in the STAR Fund for the moment. Just curious if there any other good funds I should be researching when starting out with such a low account balance. I'll probably be dumping my $5000 in for 2009 within the next 6 months.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ravarek posted:

The Target Retirement Fund is decent if you just want to set your retirement money on auto-pilot.. Target Retirement funds aren't perfect, but they get the job done. However, I do think the Vanguard STAR fund is somewhat lovely; the STAR fund is pretty much a diarrhea of a dozen other (seemingly random) Vanguard funds. I suggest moving your money out of the STAR fund and throwing the $1,000 into the TR 2050 fund.

Thanks for the heads up, I will do that once the bank transfers go through, I'm not sure if I can move the money before it's actually there yet.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Noble Nobbler posted:

And that's the beauty of owning the entire world capitalization weighted market, the entire aggregate lending market, and a broad basket of commodities.

I don't see an optimization that doesn't rely on backtesting bias that is intuitively better than that.

Another caveat being, you are risking quite a bit of money on a 4% real return rate when you could be going on trips and seeing strange new worlds instead of dying of cancer at 62 and having a horde of cash to leave to either no one or retarded irresponsible step children

Or medical research in the next 40 years cures many cancers, suddenly your 90 and have ran out of money.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Jackal posted:

I think you can just open a traditional IRA with who ever you like?

Again you can't do a Roth IRA and traditional IRA at the same time, so sorry dude put your money into a Interest Savings Account until you find better employment.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well the $5000 limit on contributions to a Roth IRA I'm sure will continue to be increased slowly to go along with inflation

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Right now I got about 28k in my employer's 401k plan, it's split up as follows

88% in Target Retirement 2050
10% PIMCO Real Return Bonds
2% Money Market

I've been wondering if I should just dump everything into the Target Retirement Fund for now and just leave it alone. Which is what I'm currently doing with my Vanguard Roth IRA

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Quick question for my wife's 401k, apparently she isn't 100% vested until she's been there for 6 years (kinda lovely) but that'll actually be on August 9th of this year. Right now she's 80% vested so 20% every year after your first year. Anyways my employer has decided to relocate me to Columbus Ohio.

So she is going to quit her job and move with me but we want to time it correctly so when she leaves she gets the 100% 401k amount to rollover. Is this something her employer does or is it automatically in the plan so she could quit August 10th and there is nothing her employer can do to keep that money from her?

If it helps her 401k is with Principal Financial Group

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

flowinprose posted:

Because you can choose pretty much anything to invest it in, instead of being limited to the (generally) horribly expensive choices of your employer's 401(k) plan.

Exactly rolling it over to some Vanguard IRA would save you a ton alone on expense ratios, then start a new job and enroll in their 401k, when you eventually leave that job roll that into your already existing IRA and keep building it as you go along through life. This was my understanding at least but I could be missing something here.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Putting everything into Target Retirement 2050 is perfectly fine if you want a hands off approach. Plus when you first open an account you don't really have a choice due to Vanguard's fund minimums.

Off topic: on my account page with Vanguard it says I have $xxxxx.xx in my Roth and $0.00 in STAR Fund. When I opened the account I put some in the Star fund first to open an account but then I eventually moved it all to the Target Retirement Fund, does anyone know how to get the account page to stop displaying the zero balance for the STAR Fund? Just a personal preference.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I want to roll my wife's 401k to a Vanguard IRA when she leaves her job. She has about 21-22k in the account right now. What would be a good balance of funds in Vanguard to start out with and what would be a good properly diversified Vanguard IRA Portfolio look like?

I found this article but not too sure how good the advice is, basically I do want to try to start making my money work a little better than just generic target retirement funds.

http://www.fundadvice.com/fehtml/investingbasics/0212a.html

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

slap me silly posted:

You could start by comparing them with Vanguard's VTSMX: no load, 0.18% expense ratio, and turnover of 5.3%.

Koirhor, you should read the 4 Pillars book. You can get very good diversification with three index funds: bonds, US stocks, non-US stocks. The page you linked is a refinement that tweaks the value/growth weighting and adds REIT.

Funny you should say that my copy of 4 Pillars should be arriving today via Amazon. I'll get to absorbing that quickly.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Spread my money from my Vanguard IRA from the target retirement 2050 equally among Small Cap Value Index, Vanguard Value Index, and Vanguard International Value

probably add in a couple more funds in 2010 and 2011 contribution years.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As far as Vanguard funds go, would it be better to invest in VFSTX than VBISX? (Short Term Index vs Short Term Investment Grade)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone tell me a good reason not to move my Vanguard Roth IRA from 100% Stocks to the Prime Money Market fund. Usually I'm risk averse but with all indexes basically moving in concert with each other up and down, it's loving aggravating.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

moana posted:

Here is a good reason: when the market rebounds, you will completely miss it if your money is in cash, so your idea is the opposite of what you should do. Here is another good reason: you should not change your investment strategy based on what you think the market will or will not do since good investment strategies don't rely on market timing. Here is another good reason: you are probably not 70 years old so your retirement funds shouldn't be in cash.

If you're risk averse, why do you have your Roth in 100% stocks? :psyduck:

I mean to say "Usually I'm not risk averse" sorry about that hah, yeah I know what you're saying I just needed someone to say it for me.

edit: also as far as Vanguard Portfolio Diversification goes, any opinions on

http://www.crackerjackgreenback.com/investing/what-does-a-diversified-investment-portfolio-look-like/

as a possible example.

Koirhor fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

moana posted:

Stop following market trends, they will only mess up your brain. As far as that portfolio goes, the one thing I'd say is you probably don't want to break it up that much, especially if you don't have enough to make the Vanguard minimums for every single fund (that breakdown would require you to have about $53k in your portfolio if the minimums are $3k, which you might have already, but lots of young people don't). You could probably just hold three funds - total stock, total bond, and international - and be okay.

Basically that's what I wanted to know, if that level of diversification is considered ideal or overkill.