Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I started my 401k way late in life (about 3 years ago, I just turned 30) so it's small and piddly right now. I have a good chunk of money in my savings account, so I want to make a "Catch up" deposit into my retirement funds.

Is it better to just make a deposit (I'm thinking of doing about $5k) into my 401k account, or open a separate IRA, either traditional or Roth?

If I deposit into my 401k, how does that work? Would I deposit it directly from my savings account, or ratchet up my contribution to 100% for a couple paychecks and live out of my Savings Account while it's happening?

EDIT: 401k.com says I can only contribute up to 50% pre-tax, so I guess an option would be to contribute 50% for a month or two. But is that the best option?

syphon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
So it sounds like my two options are...

1) up my contribution to 50% for a couple months
2) dump $5k into an IRA (that's the taxable limit, right?) then maybe another $5k next year.

I guess i'm looking for some advice on which is a better strategy. I know the rough overview of the differences in the accounts, but I don't know enough to know which is better in my situation when it comes to tax implications.

Lastly, do you guys know if there's any penalty for changing your 401k Contribution Amount multiple times a year?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Thanks, I think that answers my questions! I guess i just need to decide if I want to pay the taxes now or pay them later.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I didn't realize 401ks were limited to $16.5k annually, so I guess that makes the decision for me. I think my "catch up deposit" plans would have exceeded $16.5k this year

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Does anyone have any advice or reading material on what ETF's I should invest my shiny new Roth IRA into?

At this point, the only thing I can think of doing is googling "good ETF to invest with a roth ira", which probably wouldn't steer me too wrong, but also wouldn't give me the best of advice.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are you maxing out the available $5k for a Roth before putting more into your 401(k)?
Bleh, I opened a Roth about a month ago. I know its a long term investment and I shouldn't be checking it every day, but that poo poo's gone down almost 10% since I opened it. :( I think I picked the worlds worst ETF's to invest in.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Happy New Year! Can you guys help me pick some ETFs for my Roth IRA?

I already have a 401k invested in some diverse mutual funds (my coworker helped me pick these out), so I'm trying to be a bit more adventurous with the Roth IRA. I want something with very little maintenance and moderate risk. I'm looking to retire around 2040-2045, if that helps.

Last year, I tried to research and invest on my own... and I think I failed miserably. My $5,000 quickly dropped to about $3,500, and is now relatively stable at $4,300. Here's what I chose:
  • 50 shares of FAD
  • 20 shares of IWC
  • 8 shares of RZV
  • 30 shares of VXF

Do you guys have any advice on what I should do with this year's $5,000? Should I pump more into last year's choices, or pick something entirely different? If so, any pointers?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yep, the 401k has a hefty allocation towards a target fund (2040 I think) so like I said, I'm willing to be a bit more experimental with the Roth and ETFs. I just want advice that says I'm going in the right or wrong direction with my choices.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Yond Cassius posted:

Syphon, maybe buying into SPY would be a good addition? Considering your VXF holdings, it seems like a conspicuous absence to me. It's not particularly adventurous, but it is low-maintenance and pretty much defines "moderate risk".
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm relying on my 401k for a stable low-risk/long-term retirement fund. I want to use the Roth IRA for slightly more aggressive investments while I'm still young. Hence the need for advice on ETFs :)

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Vomik posted:

Does the traditional -> Roth trick still work?
Can someone explain (in layman's terms) what this is?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
For reference, I'm 30, single, and don't own a home. I contribute 15% to my 401k (company matches 50% up to 6% of income, IIRC). I thought that number was obscenely high until I chatted around and found a few other people doing similar contributions.

When I buy a house or have a kid I'll bring it down to 6-9%. But for now? I'd just be wasting that extra money on soda pop and baseball cards or some poo poo like that.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I'm about to start a new job, which means it's time to roll my 401k over from my (soon to be) previous employer. Can anyone shed some light on this process?

1. Could I roll it over to a different company if I wanted to? (e.g. Fidelity to Vanguard)
2. Does it roll over to another 401k, or an IRA, or do I have to choose? What are the advantages of each? (assuming I do get a choice)
3. Should I note down my current investments, so that I could go with something similar with the new account? Or SHOULD I go with something similar?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Both my old and new employers use Fidelity. Should I wrap it into a new 401k account, or IRA? What are the differences really? I have a Roth IRA as well, but is a traditional IRA taxed in the same manner as a 401k? (as opposed to a Roth IRA).

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I think that about answers my question! I'll probably roll-over my old 401k into the new company-provided 401k and leave my existing Roth IRA separate. Thanks for all the pointers guys!

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
How does one find the expense ratio charged per fund? (for Fidelity specifically, but also in general)

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Is it common practice to dump 100% of my 401k into a Target Retirement fund? Would that be stupid to do, as opposed to trying to keep a diversified portfolio a la that site that was just linked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Do different companies use different ways of showing fees? For example, looking at both Fidelity and Vanguard's 2045 retirement funds, Fidelity shows "Expense Ratio: 0.76%" while Vanguard shows "Acquired fund fees and expenses: 0.19%". Are they measured in the same way (and thus, Vanguard being much cheaper) or are the costs measured differently?

Also, my 401k is through Fidelity, is it typical to be able to invest in a Vanguard fund like that, or will the expenses/fees be more?