Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomicGarden
Mar 2, 2001
Alright, starting my Roth IRA this year. I'm not sure if I'm going to contribute the full 5k, but it'll be at least 3k. I'm thinking of starting off with VTWSX, although it's done pretty poorly recently, but so has everything, right?

Once I'm able to get another $3k in the IRA with my 2009 contributions, I'm thinking of investing in some bonds. Maybe VBMFX. After that, I'd probably want to have a 70/30 distribution with the stocks to bonds. Maybe in a few years I can reallocate the VTWSX to individual funds for US/international. Or maybe not.

I'm 25 and I'd like to be somewhat hands off. Does this sound like a decent plan to start my retirement fund? Should I think about diversifying further once I get more money in the account?

Thanks.

Edit: Right now I have an account at eTrade. Does it matter if I stick with them, or should I go directly with Vanguard? While etrade charges a one-time fee of $19.99 to buy into a fund, it seems Vanguard charges $20/year per account, and an additional (?) $25/year per IRA. I could be reading that incorrectly. Does it really matter that much, either way?

AtomicGarden fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU