Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Hello friends. Here's my situation. Single, no kids, recently changed jobs.

401k with old job (low match), HSA with old job, ESPP with old job (had been selling ASAP at the cost of paying short-term capital gains).

New 401k plan does NOT include a match. New job has an HSA. New job has no ESPP.

New income something like 150k, expenses something like 50k / year. High-interest savings available (~2%) for up to ~$20k as a super liquid emergency fund.

Current plan is basically: Max new HSA. Max new 401k (front-loaded now since I don't have to worry about a match). Max normal backdoor Roth.

That seems like the easy stuff. Other considerations are something like:
A) Mega backdoor Roth to the cap. This seems like a strong contender.
B) Do I now start holding my remaining old job ESPP stock to the long-term capital gain timeframe now that I'm no longer relying on that company for employment income?
C) Throw excess money into a taxable investment account at Vanguard/Fidelity and keep buying more indexes?
D) How should the high-interest savings account play into this if it competes with capping the mega Roth?
E) If my overall target allocation is something like 90/10 equities/bonds, where's the best place to hold the bond fund? I haven't done any tax loss/gain harvesting before, but I'm planning on figuring that out this year, if that makes a difference.

For D, my thought is that with so much in my Roth, I could use that in a pinch since withdrawing contributions is free, but I'm not sure how that works if I backdoor (are those locked for 5 years similar to if I slowly convert a regular 401k?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

opposable thumbs.db posted:

This is a bit of a niche scenario but I was wondering if anyone had any input on my situation. I was an employee of a startup and I had in-the-money ISOs that I exercised before leaving, for tax purposes. In part, this (and the resulting ~$70k tax burden that I'll be getting back slowly over time as AMT carryover) was funded by a loan from my parents. The loan has the following terms, simplified:

- $150,000 principal
- 5.5% annual interest
- No payments necessary until May 2020
- Only interest-only payments necessary until May 2022, then the rest paid over the following 6 years
- At any time I can pay down whatever I want.

After filing my taxes this year I will have an extra $60,000 in an Ally savings account and $36,000 in a Vanguard taxable target retirement fund (this is in addition to an emergency fund, 401k, IRA, etc). Given that paying back the loan is a guaranteed 5.5% return, would it make sense to throw the full $60k at the loan, while also liquidating the $36k taxable account and putting that toward the loan as well? I'd owe some long-term capital gains on the taxable account but given that I'll have AMT carryover it won't really matter anyway.

I don't anticipate having any difficulty paying down this loan no matter what; I guess I'm just asking if a guaranteed 5.5% return is worth paying the cash + liquidating a taxable investment account.

When does interest start accruing? If not until May 2020 then don't pay anything until then. Regardless, it's a close call on the $60k, unlikely to be worth also liquidating the $36k. This changes if you expect to need cash for a large expense coming up in the next few ish years, like a house down payment.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I signed up for a credit union. I want to cancel my Chase bank account, including the credit card I have on file. I was just curious what the best way to do it would be?

Should I pay off all the credit card debts in Chase bank then cancel it and then sign up for a credit card under the credit union?

Or should I sign up for a credit card from the credit union first and then cancel the Chase credit card once the credit union one is mailed to me (I assume this will hit my credit hard?)

Why do you want to cancel the card? If you can handle credit responsibly, it's likely in your best interest to leave it open to keep your AAoA high and overall util lower.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I think I came up with a decent beginning goal, with numbers behind it. This is more as a thought exercise as I'm working through the book.

What would it take to live on only the monthly returns from money that I've invested in some particular fund? Let's pick some arbitrary amount like $2500 per month in order to live at a bare minimum or something. Therefore, the question is, what X amount of money would I have to invest in a stock with Y annual return in order to get at least that much to live on per month?

Let's take VFIAX as an example. If I'm reading its profile right, in the past 10 years, it's had an annual return of somewhere between 20% and 13%, 16.5% on average. In order to make all your expenses for the year, you'd need to get at least $2500 * 12 = $28,800 from an annual return of 16.5%. The equation then looks like this:

code:
x * .165 = 2400 * 12
->
x = 28800 / .165
x = 174545.454545
So in theory, if you can invest $174,546 in VFIAX, which has had an average annual return in the past 10 years of 16.5%, it's possible to get enough money for each month just by withdrawing what it makes over time on average. This is obviously a heavily optimistic situation, but it's possible nonetheless.

Does that make sense? Maybe that'd be a decent goal, saving up to invest enough that you can live off the returns.

shut up pollyanna

Instead of "oh let's guess $2500 per month" you can actually figure out a good number based on your actual historical and planned future expenses. Then yeah, multiply (the yearly number) by 25 to 33 depending on how optimistic you want to be. And that's basically it.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Question around short term losses and medium-term brokerage account allocation.

I have not yet done my backdoor Roth for 2020 (was holding excess cash for some house renovations which are now finished).

Options I'm looking at:
1a) Move $6k cash from my Schwab taxable (had been holding for house reno stuff) over to Fidelity (where I'd do the BD Roth... I'm familiar with the process there and like Fidelity in general).
1b) Take the excess cash (minus the $6k) I've been holding liquid at Schwab and buy more SCHB I guess.

2a) Take all my liquid cash at Schwab and buy more SCHB in my taxable.
2b) At Fidelity, sell off $6k worth of FZROX (all at minimal short-term losses, like $250 total) and then do the BD Roth with those funds. Saves some transfer nonsense.

Is there anything I should be aware of around the short-term losses? I like that option #2 leaves more money overall at Schwab, helps me balance out a bit more across the two. Not that I imagine either of those two giants failing, but I sleep better at night knowing I have options in case something wacky happens to one of them.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Do you think they knew what they were doing when they named that?

Yes.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

huhu posted:

I've been paying into a stock purchase program through work since November and will continue to do so until the end of May. The money sits in a bank account until May. In May, that money will be used to buy stock. The perk we get is that we get to buy the stock price at whichever is lower - the price in November or May. Then we get a 15% discount on that price. Then the stock can be sold almost immediately - it'll probably take about a day or two to sell. I've watched the stock fluctuate up or down by about 10% each day over the past few weeks. Assuming the market continues to be this volatile - I'm guessing it's probably best to withdraw myself from this program and not gamble on the stock fluctuating wildly between the time I buy and the time I sell - even if it is only a ~2 day window?

In the case where you don't get this 15% discount, what would you do with the money? Throw it in an index fund and watch that fluctuate up or down by 10% each day, but without the 15% discount?

Let's say it goes down 10% then down 10% again, you're at -5% if you can liquidate in two days. That doesn't seem awful for a pretty-bad-case outcome.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Is there some way to effectively game this new retirement distribution stuff with the repayment option?

The main way I'd think would be to pull out from a 401k with bad plan options, invest in a taxable account with better/cheaper funds, and then in 2 1/2 years go and replace the money.

Suppose existing 401k fund options are already good, is there any way to benefit here?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Fidelity's HSA is really nice.

Separately, going forward if you can float medical expenses through liquidity, keep receipts, and reimburse yourself "whenever" in the future. That way you can leave money invested and growing in the HSA account, where the tax treatment is better (vs. the equivalent amount of money growing in a taxable account).

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

zaurg posted:

hey all, just checking in, is this a good time to time the market? April 7th seems like a good time.

Get out.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I've had experience with all three. Fidelity has amazing customer service. They have very quickly and easily solved every question I've had with a simple phone call across multiple types of accounts. Their HSA is also awesome. Jury is still out on FZROX, but I drank the Kool-Aid here a bit since timing was good. Backdoor Roths are easy to execute.

Schwab I'm kind of locked into dealing with at some frequency due to an equity component at work. They've also got a really solid checking account. Phone calls with them have been fine. I don't like the views on their web app as much as Fidelity though. There's also the tie-in with their branded AMEX Platinum.

Vanguard is best structurally for all the reasons listed before. One place I worked had my 401k through there (with awkwardly high fees not the fault of Vanguard). I thought it was clunky to use and phone support left a lot to be desired. For some reason they wanted me to mail in a paper form to set up a typical brokerage account.

No bad choice, today, I think.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Tried the stock picking thread a few days back, no bites, so I'll try again here.

Scenario: Every quarter I vest a bunch of shares of company stock. I've been immediately selling and buying the market to diversify away from the risk that's already pretty concentrated on my overall employment and future vests.

Question: How could I diversify even more effectively? I cannot trade derivatives on my company, can't short it either. However, I have been looking into potentially shorting a competitor (or set of competitors) as a way to help reduce some risk. In general, I am willing to give up some upside on my future vests of company stock in order to reduce the downside of future vests.

Shorting the competitor seems to expose me into "potentially really bad situations" where my company goes down, competitor goes up, increasing the volatility of my income stream, which is kinda the opposite of what I'm looking for? Thoughts?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

tumblr hype man posted:

Your current efforts are the best solution to this problem, otherwise you are exposed to massive losses related to your short.

Worst case scenario is your company poo poo the bed and your competitor goes up theoretically to infinity. You're taking infinite losses on your naked short of the competitor at the same time that your company is presumably suffering. Keep liquidating your vested shares ASAP and call it a day. If you're super concerned (like you work for WYNN or something) then sell and keep the cash.

H110Hawk posted:

Don't. You have a great solution already. Betting on the downfall of your competitors is betting on the success of your company or the destruction of your industry. That's just reconcentrating your risk back into your industry.

If you work in something hyper specific you could buy index funds that don't include that element, but that sounds like effort. If you work at one of the big tech companies then you are ironically rebuying several shares of it a year by buying index funds as they are generally the top 10 holdings in market cap weighted funds.

Keep on rich get richer-ing those shares and roll around in the profits. :toot:

Thank you both.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

This is one of the more comprehensive views I've seen re: mortgages + bonds. https://earlyretirementnow.com/2016/11/02/why-would-anyone-have-a-mortgage-and-a-bond-portfolio/ Doesn't seem like having both at the same time would be a very good idea.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Sell your shitcoins.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Kylaer posted:

Don't time the market.

This.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Razzled posted:

Am I making a mistake? My company got acquired. The old 401k plan had a .15 expense ratio and the new plan has a .4 expense ratio so rather than rollover balance I opened a Vanguard Rollover IRA (traditional) in my personal account and sent the old 401k there instead. My plan is to enroll that account under their Digital Advisor program alongside my roth IRA.

Do you have the option of "do nothing and have multiple 401ks?" As others have pointed out, hurting future backdoor capabilities might not be worth it.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

SA-Anon posted:

I think I posted earlier in this thread... TLDR for many many years I just socked away my earnings in a savings account because I really didn't know what to do with it.

In the last several years I have made it a point to open a Roth IRA, an HSA, and maximize my 401k contributions, when I can.
I bought a house and try to pay a bit extra toward's the principle.

However, I still have too much in cash, so I have been wondering what would be the smartest thing to do with it?

Is it possible to do...Roth IRA contributions for past tax years somehow?
Or would I be better off gradually putting it into a my vanguard accounts? (Or do it in one go?)
Or make additional 401k contribtuions? (Past the 18.5k maximum.)

All in VTSAX.

Follow the flowchart, but missed historical IRA contributions are gone forever.

It sounds like you're in mega backdoor Roth territory? If you can't do that, then...all in VTSAX in your brokerage account.

People below me will say to "dollar cost average if you don't feel comfortable."

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Trying to understand the withdrawal rules for backdoor and megabackdoor Roths.

Example Scenarios:
A) Backdoor Roth - $5k converted from Trad IRA to Roth IRA on 7/1/2020.
B) Megabackdoor Roth - $20k converted from After-tax 401k to Roth IRA on 9/1/2020.

Q1) When is the earliest one would be able to withdraw penalty-free from each of the above? Is it (date + 5 years)?
Q1) Suppose that 5 years after these conversions, balances are now $6k and $24k and person's age is like 30 or something. What is the maximum amount that can be withdrawn penalty-free? Is it 5k and 20k?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

No, I just want more exposure to what I think will be a bull market for the next few years.

If you plan on de-levering at some point, how will you determine when to do so?

e; f, b

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

It's unclear that the range of 0-100% broad-based equities is sufficient given my non-paper assets, so I've started looking into levered ETFs to potentially increase exposure.
1) Expense ratios are higher (understandably), but like...a lot higher.
2) Performance doesn't actually seem to track their (target multiples of) indices very well.
Am I missing something, or are the choices here just all bad?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Are there rules against shorting your company's stock (most or all of the places I've worked have frowned upon this, don't get fired)? If you can offset it in a separate account during the 1-year holding period, this would de-risk you. Even without doing that, 20% for one year seems too good to pass up.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

devicenull posted:

So, I'm about to pay of my mortgage, and I'm trying to figure out if I should start throwing more money at my retirement account or if I should start buying hookers and blow...

* I'm 32, and have ~270k in my 401k
* Our household income is too high to qualify for Roth IRAs
* I max out my 401k every year (although I usually get around $1000 refunded due to highly compensated employee bullshit)

My employers retirement calculator is saying I'll have 40k/mo if I retire at 67... which seems incorrect somehow.

Do I just start buying Vanguard target retirement funds with after tax money? Is there some other option I'm missing here?

Backdoor Roth, Megabackdoor Roth if you can, then after tax brokerage for your fund(s) of choice.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

pmchem posted:

I'm glad you like the Early Retirement Now link. I haven't read much from that blog -- I ran across the mortgage bit while doing mortgage reading -- but I guess I should check out more of it.

pmchem posted:

I don't think this has been answered yet.

In theory, it's very attractive to manage your assets as a whole portfolio. There are interesting arguments to be made in favor of, say, tilting heavy in stocks and away from bonds if you have a mortgage:
https://earlyretirementnow.com/2016/11/02/why-would-anyone-have-a-mortgage-and-a-bond-portfolio/

It is conventional wisdom to take advantage of tax-efficient fund placement when possible (IRAs vs taxable accounts),
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement

However, in reality, it's not so simple. Bonds come in tax-exempt flavors, some popular bond yields are lower than stock index dividends these days, you might sell the house, rebalancing is much more advantageous within an account than across accounts, different accounts may have different investment options available (e.g. your 401k vs. IRA), etc. There's no clean answer to your question, which is probably why nobody answered it yet.

Personally, I track my investments as a whole and make sure the whole picture reflects my desired allocation, but within each investable account I try to make it so that I can benefit from rebalancing if one asset outperforms another (cash is also an asset in this scenario). Not sure if I'd recommend that to someone else, though. Highly individual situation.

ERN is great and has put some thought into the Asset Location question, with interesting results (essentially, there is no clear strictly best decision) - https://www.google.com/amp/s/earlyretirementnow.com/2020/02/05/asset-location-do-bonds-belong-in-retirement-accounts-swr-series-35/amp/

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Fund choices in my 401ks are reasonable (S&P500 index funds at not-awful expense ratios), but I'd prefer broader market exposure. I see a few routes:
1) Use taxable accounts to buy mid- and small-cap funds in proportion to balance things out. This is probably a little imperfect and might require periodic rebalancing.
2) Short an S&P index and use the proceeds to buy a long broader-based index.
3) Ignore the minor differences and wait until I eventually Roth ladder the money out of the 401ks.

Any issues with #2 I might be missing?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

skipdogg posted:

2 Quick questions. I recently changed employment (for the first time in my adult life)

1) I have a 401K with Vanguard, I currently plan to roll the funds over to the new company's 401K plan with Fidelity. The new plan offers a decent selection of funds with very low expenses. Vanguard seems to recommend moving it to a Vanguard IRA. I don't plan on making any retirement contributions outside the new company 401K at this point in time

2) I have an HSA account with a couple thousand in it from the old job with BofA. Is there anywhere I can move this to avoid the monthly maintenance fee? New company uses an HRA system which they fund, so I believe I have to use all the HRA funds first and then I can use the HSA funds. I won't use all the HRA funds they offer in a normal year. I know it's only like 30 bucks a year in maintenance, but hey, 30 bucks is 30 bucks.

Echoing Fidelity HSA for #2.

For #1 - If you ever think you'll need to do a standard Backdoor Roth, moving to an IRA might be bad. If you're not moving to an IRA, then it depends on both old and new 401k funds available and fee structures. I left my last company's 401k as-is because my new company's has both worse funds and higher fees (slightly on both). Plus, rollovers take effort.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hi BFC,

Looking at opening my first Roth IRA (long overdue) and my rookie question is are there better or worse places to open one with, or are they all generally fairly the same? My 403b is with TIAA-CREF, so I figure I might as well use them unless there are large differences between all these big names I see on the hats of my favorite golfers.

Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab all should be fine.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

pmchem posted:

I don't get it, is he not allowed to learn from his mistakes?

You should read the (six?) zaurg threads and let us know if you still feel that way. There is overwhelming evidence that this person cannot learn from mistakes.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Unsinkabear posted:

I normally see the /r/personalfinance one linked, but itt all I see from the last few months is this FI/RE variant. My income doesn't at all allow for early retirement as a realistic option and I don't see that changing anytime soon, is this still the one I should be looking at?

I don't think there's any harm in going through the more detailed one, unless it looks too overwhelming and you won't actually do anything because of that.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So even the best savings accounts only go up to .5% APY or thereabouts, then. Interesting, obviously that’s still not a lot but I guess there’s only so much you can find when you’re just having your money sitting in an account doing nothing.

I’m not sure what my other options are when it comes to what to do with my extra money (besides retirement investing). There’s stocks, obviously, but I’m really not ready or even well-researched enough to start gambling money away. Is there a more reliable way to use my money besides trading stocks, that’s more lucrative potentially then a savings account? I guess this is more of short term investing question, so this might not be really relevant to this thread. Sorry!

Take the broad-based index and/or target date funds that you buy I'm tax-advantaged accounts, and buy roughly those same things in a regular old brokerage account.

"Roughly" because of asset location, emergency fund, and other time-horizon-liquidity situational components.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Enigma posted:

Thank you.

I have a brokerage account with Fidelity, near as I can tell it’s fine to invest in a Vanguard ETF from there rather than opening a Vanguard account?

You could just use Fidelity ETFs and/or mutual funds if you're at Fidelity. There should be little to no difference unless you're interested in some very specific exotic Vanguard-only ETF.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Red posted:

Reading through a lot of articles, STAR consistently came up as well-rounded and reliable. I hadn't bought direct through Vanguard before, so I wanted to start with a simple fund (with a lower minimum) at first before adding more.

Any suggestions to supplement?

"Well-rounded" and "reliable" sound like nonsense words that don't actually mean anything.

How do they differ in well-roundedness and reliability vs VTSAX/VTI, or target-date funds?

As a good example of what might be convincing, pmchem (or whomever it was but I think it was pmchem) put some effort behind "Why '750' might be better than '500' from a large-ish cap index fund perspective," but that was a lot of effort and you probably don't need to go that deep.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Does anyone else think those retirement calculators plan on you spending WAY more than you would think? Most of them calculate as if you need to spend like 90% of what you do now. Which I would think by the time I retire I have the house already paid off which is a huge chunk of expenses.

Yeah I remember looking at the Fidelity calc showing income multiples by age like 4 or 5 years ago, modeling things out on my spreadsheet, and realizing that according to their simplification, "getting promoted" meant it would take me longer to hit retirement. Which felt really wrong.

Then I found ChooseFI, MMM, Bogleheads, this thread, ERN, and a bunch of other resources essentially saying "It's expenses that matter, you dolt." What an ah-hah moment. For the vast majority of folks, using income as a proxy for expenses and having your one-size-fits-all guideline err high seems reasonable, so I don't exactly fault Fidelity too much.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

ROJO posted:

Can someone clear something up for me regarding 401k in-plan conversions to Roth? My 401k is through fidelity, and I have already been maxing out a $19.5k Roth contribution, and get a 10% company match, and am fully-vested in everything. It turns out that our plan recently enabled you to choose automatic, daily, in-plan conversions to Roth for after-tax contributions if I want.

I guess what I struggle with, is why is this allowed, or what am I missing? It seems to be a direct and automatic bypass of the 19.5k limit for Roth contributions. If I read things right, I can just continue to contribute after-tax contributions past the $19.5k limit (subject to the total $57k limit for employer/employee contributions), and they will immediately be converted to Roth prior to accruing any taxable earnings, and will then grow tax free. I could then (if I choose), take an in-service distribution and move things to my Roth IRA.

This seems like a giant loop-hole, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. It would appear Fidelity and my plan have effectively weaponized/automated a mega-backdoor Roth 401k/IRA? Does anyone else have a 401k through Fidelity and see similar features on their account?

Congrats! Look up "megabackdoor Roth." It's as good as it sounds. Depending on your plan details, you may be limited in the # of times you can move funds from one bucket to another (1 per year is one of the most restrictive I've seen), or you might not.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

What are all the downsides to using something like M1 Finance over Vanguard/Schwab/Fidelity for a taxable account that will be entirely boring broad-based index funds and/or ETFs?

Having their "M1 Borrow" portfolio line of credit as a "HELOC-like" at cheaper rates than other margin accounts seems like a decent deal? Note that I'm not intending on using it to lever anything, just considering it as a potential cheap emergency fund source that I'd get "for free" anyway. Should I instead be looking at Interactive Brokers, and/or asking the other thread?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Another +1 for a CPA. I used to do TurboTax and for the amount of stress around my taxes that I no longer have, it's well worth the price. Not the math part, I have my own spreadsheets throughout the year, but the actual paperwork nonsense.

First year they spotted some real estate thing that more than made up for the fee. Subsequent years have been simpler. I generally make two outside-of-tax-season inquiries per year and they've always been responsive and helpful.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

...for long term...purposes...

And if I was to sell ...

"Long-term" and "thinking about selling" can probably be discussed at the same point for edge cases, but this is a pretty big red flag (aside from all the stuff Motronic is already pointing out which are bigger, better red flags).

Admittedly I don't understand cryptostuff aside from knowing that a number of places just up and disappeared with a bunch of folks' money and/or things, a few times now?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I've been doing employer match 401k for a few years now. They match until like 3/5%, and I've been doing 10% of paycheck earnings. I've been thinking of starting a Roth and may do that this weekend, but is there any reason I should max 401k to 19.5k or whatever before starting a Roth?

The way I understand it is Roth lets me pull my contributions out without any downside, so unless 401ks are just generally way better, I feel like employee match 401k -> Roth to cap -> maybe some more in 401k after that is a good place to start with all this? Am I missing anything?

401ks (traditional) are pretax, which is generally good if you're in a high tax bracket now. You may also have a Roth 401k option.

IRAs (traditional) are also pretax, but have income limits preventing a lot of those high-tax-bracket folks from using them and getting tax breaks.

IRAs (Roth) are post-tax on contributions but tax-advantaged growth. There are also income limits here but there's a way around that. Also, yes, penalty free withdrawals on contributions (but you won't want to do this probably).

Good IRAs will provide significant choice and generally favorable (low) expenses on investment options.

Many 401ks will have generally good investment options (at least per how the folks in this thread lean), with generally "at least okay" expenses. In some cases, the expenses will be bad but still worth it. In rare cases, the expenses are actually more favorable than a rough equivalent in an IRA.

There are other nuances as well, such as favorability in the case of bankruptcy, megabackdoor Roth, match true-ups, etc.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My new job has an employee stock purchase programs that somehow almost seems not worth the effort. Am I insane?

The purchase price is a flat 5% off the market price on the last day of each six-month period. (It's not one of the good ones with a price lookback.)

Then that'll be taxed as normal income because I'm going to sell literally the day of, so it should not incur any additional short-term capital gains (or losses oh god I want to sell at the exact price I bought at)

That's not bad by any means but it's throwing all my money in a hole in return for slightly less than five percent (well okay, actually 100/95 so it evens out after fees)... right? Am I missing subtleties here? It still seems worht it for any money I don't need right away but it's incredibly underwhelming and I keep feeling I must be missing something. (The something might just be "gently caress it, it's 5%, lock it in and insta-sell", and if so, yes, please yell at me!)

gently caress it, it's actually EVEN BETTER than 10% annualized (5% for 6 months if you dropped in all your cash in at the start of the period, but you're averaging over the entire period), lock it in and insta-sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

QuantumNinja posted:

I see a lot of speculation that the market is due for a crash around April. How much should I pay attention to these and get out of positions? (Most of my position is high-dividend REITs and a few Vanguard ETFs.)

Don't time the market.