Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
So, after a year and a half of working at my current place, I've just picked up all the 401k paperwork, and after reading this thread, and doing some Googling around, I think what we have sucks pretty hard. So, I guess I'd like to know what to do. I need to start saving, but short of a 401k and Roth, I'm not really sure what I should do.

We have the Legg Mason 401k through Paychex, and my company will match 4% if you put in 5%. Looking through the paperwork, all of the stock symbols are accompanied by Classes - A, B or C, which I've found out are loaded funds. Checking the symbols on Google, the loads range anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5%, along with 1-2% expense ratios. Am I right in thinking this isn't a good thing? It seems like we don't have a whole lot of options either - 7 Equity funds, 1 international, 1 "flexible", 2 mixed income bonds/securities.

Even with all the loads and what seems to be high expense ratios, should I still put in at least to get the free money? What other options do I have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Anyone mind helping me out on my 401k? A couple months ago we moved from really lovely Legg Mason funds to a bunch of other funds that may or may not be lovely. The guys who handle the funds came in, and did a whole meeting thing with the employees, and they gave these sheets out with 3 groups of funds - Conservative, Moderate and Growth. I'm 29, so I've got awhile to go, and decided on something between moderate and growth, so he moved some percentages around. All of my money got moved into those 8 funds. Looking through them, they're all pretty standard 1.5-2% ERs and whatnot, but one of them has a 5.5% front load, which I don't like. But I really don't know what to get to replace it.

The ticker symbol is PCRAX (PIMCO Commodity Real Ret Strat A). Any suggestions on what I should look for? If anyone's really interested, I can give you the full list of funds we have available, and what I've got now. But I guess just a quick rundown of what to look for that's comparable? I dunno. I have no idea what I'm doing. :(

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
Thanks for the replies, I'll check with the fund people when I get a chance about the load question. As far as reading up, what do you suggest? I've done some poking around Google, but I haven't gotten very far. Risk-wise, I think I'm moderate-high risk tolerant. I'm 29, the money's going to sit there for 40 years, I'm not too worried about it.

This is what I currently have. (15%, 15%, 5%, 10%, 25%, 10%, 5%, 15%, top to bottom in that order)

Available Bonds

Available Equities - ONE TWO THREE

Any advice?

Panthrax fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 15, 2009

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I've got ~$1300 in a Roth with State Farm in their target retirement plan thing. I just got a letter saying they're upping the yearly fee to $40. It's pretty lovely anyway (and expensive), so I guess it's time to go somewhere else. I see Vanguard only has the STAR fund that can start at under 3 grand. Is that decent? Should I look somewhere else to put my $1300? I'll probably start contributing to it again, I stopped a long time ago. Any suggestions?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I went back a page or two, but since this is a huge thread, I'll just throw it out and hopefully no one gets annoyed if it's been answered a bunch.

I have ~$3700 in the Vanguard STAR fund for my RothIRA. I put it there because I moved from a different RothIRA to this one, and didn't have the 3k max to put in anything else. Should I move it to another fund or leave it? Should I stick it in one of the target retirement ones or elsewhere?

I'm 31, so won't be retiring anytime soon, and I'm not super risk-averse, but I don't want to put it in 100% stocks. I stick $100/mo in. Any suggestions on what to do with it?