Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

There's a lot of love for VEIEX - Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund in this thread, and I'm thinking of getting into it for part of my Roth to get some international exposure. One thing that stands out though is it has a purchase and redemption fee of 0.25%. With all the (justified) talk about minimizing fees and overhead, what's the deal with that? I haven't noticed it on any of the other Vanguard funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks for the answers, 80k, Unormal and Febtober. That makes me feel better.

I've got another similar "why is Vanguard doing this" question--what's with the 25k minimum to get into Vanguard Energy Fund Investor Shares (VGENX)? It stands out clearly from the 3k minimums most everything non-admiral has. Do you guys know of anything similar energy-focused they offer with lower minimums?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

bam thwok posted:

The "sky-is-falling" papers and news will always outshine the "keep-calm-carry-on" stuff, even in good times, since there's always someone hoping to cash in on being the guy who called the next big collapse. Don't put too much stock in it.

Even if the US entered a period of 30 year period of deflation and asset price decline, you'd STILL want to keep investing since you won't need the money for 40 years (probably more once the retirement age goes up). The only real way to earn a healthy return in the stock market is to buy low and sell high.

Count me among, well, not the chicken littles but as someone who feels a heavy downturn is coming. I plan to keep investing, but there have been a LOT of indications of a crash soon such as BofA's FDIC move. With that in mind, wouldn't "buy low and sell high" would mean sell now, and re-buy after the crash? Not "keep calm carry on."

This raises the main question I came into this thread for: what options does a small-timer (like many of you, I'm mid 20s and have a vanguard roth IRA with 10-15k in it) have to get to safety for a few months? I read things (I'm not advocating these, just giving examples) like running into Swiss francs, Gold, or government bonds. Are these options even possible to a small-timer like myself, particularly without taking the money out of the IRA completely and incurring the penalties?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks for the replies. I know it's impossible for someone like myself to time these things, but just leaving it sitting there while it looks like Europe is going off the deep end just seems silly.

I'm not trying to trade myself into a windfall or micromanage things, just minimize loss. Maybe I should have framed this situation more in terms of rebalancing. Basically, I am not balanced with a plan at all: a few years ago when I could put money away I just threw two thirds into the S&P 500 Index fund and a third into the Target Retirement 2045 one. That means I'm currently 91% large cap US stocks and feel completely exposed to a downturn. I know I am supposed to be aggressive when young, but again--decent chance of a European meltdown sometime soon.

I wasn't seriously proposing gold or swiss francs, even if there was a way to buy those in a vanguard IRA. More like one of the bond EFTs such as BSV or VGLT. How dumb is this sounding?