Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Gimbal_Machine posted:

Ok, I need some help.

I'm actually pretty stressed about this. One of my friends ended up getting a job at Ameriprise and convincing me to open an account with him. He said i'd get a free start and we'd take a look after a year.

After a year, he wanted to charge me $500 for the service and I took a look at my return on investment before the 'services' and after and figured that $500 was a significant enough portion to not be interested.

This being said, all of my co-workers who seem intelligent have been saying i can do this stuff on my own using Vanguard. I've looked over the information posted in the OP with respect to Vanguard and I like what i see, but I'm unsure how to transfer my ROTH IRA over (my wife's would come with to). This is our long term retirement investment.

For reference, I'm saving 4k to both IRAs and getting my employer match on my 401k. I'm 24 and a software engineer.

The advice I'm looking for is if you all agree with this and what my first steps to move should be. I think I'll also want to move my money out of Ameriprise's money market account since the fee seems to be $40 quarterly for about 3% return.

What do you think?
Most people here if not everyone will agree.

You will have to set up a retirement account at Vanguard (you can do it online) and select the IRA rollover option when setting it up. The website will produce some forms that you will have to sign and send back to Vanguard. They will scan everything you send and send it back to you with an account information form. That gets everything set up with them and they will be awaiting your money from Ameriprise.

Then get the rollover form from Ameriprise and fill it out. You will need your Vanguard account number address and contact info from the information form you get back from Vanguard. Send that back to Ameriprise.

It should be pretty straightforward. Vanguard has a rollover department with associates that do nothing but help with rollovers so don't hesitate to call. I've done two rollovers to Vanguard so far and the only effort required on my part was filling out forms and walking to the post office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

El Kabong posted:

How would I go about figuring out the P/E average of the entire djia?

The most accurate way is to look here:

http://www.djindexes.com/mdsidx/index.cfm?event=showAvgStats

I believe this is updated monthly so look for it to update Monday or tomorrow afternoon.

Edit: It looks like yahoo quotes updates it monthly too. Eh.

Dijkstra fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 30, 2008

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

kys posted:

I am a newbie when it comes to investing, but how can I take advantage of a Roth 401k? It just seems to me like a Roth but with a higher limit. My employer does not offer it, but Im trying to find if that is the only way I can contribute.

Also, I have a lot of money in savings and I like seeing the amount of interest that comes in every month. Is is terrible to leave a lot of money like that sitting around in a taxable account? I don't really need it, I just like to know that it is completely liquid.
Re: the Roth 401(k), if your employer doesn't have it then you are out of luck. You can still contribute to an IRA of course, but yeah the limits suck. The $5000 limit is due to be raised in a few years I think, albeit marginally.

Nothing wrong at all with keeping savings around. It is as safe an investment as you can get and if you have it in a decent bank you can get 3-4% currently, which is more than the market is returning. :)

Most people around here will tell you to keep between 4-8 months of living expenses in a liquid savings or money market account. If you're single and don't have many expenses you can get away with 4 months. But if you're married and have kids etc. you probably want to put more away in case you or your spouse is laid off or you need the money in a true emergency.

I keep 6 months. I'm single, but I live in a relatively expensive part of the country as far as housing goes. So my rent is outrageous. I'm also extremely risk-averse for my age and like to know that money is sitting there if I need it. I sleep better at night.

So the amount is up to you but everyone should definitely have some kind of liquid cash fund for emergencies.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Aggro Craig posted:

Just got back from Scottrade, apparently they charge $7 for online trades except for mutual funds and index funds, which they charge $17 for. They say ETFs are only $7. Is there any significant difference between ETFs and index funds? Should I just pony up the additional $10 for the index funds?

I also figure since I'll be funding my 2008 and 2009 IRAs at the same time, I'll just put all my bond funding and half my stock into 2008, and the other half of my stock and all my world into 2009 so I only pay 4 trading fees instead of 6.

20% Total Bond Market ETF
40% Total Stock Market ETF
40% Total World Market ETF

Why are you considering buying Vanguard funds through Scottrade?

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Aggro Craig posted:

I assumed I needed to, if I can avoid it all the better.

Nah, just open up an IRA at Vangaurd. Scottrade will just charge you commission to get you the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

80k and other more risk-averse people, what do you think about the balanced life strategy funds at Vanguard as an alternative to the Target Retirement funds? I've been reading Bernstein lately and have decided that I'm going to move out of Target Retirement to try to get lower standard deviation.

These funds are:

VASGX - Around 80% Equity 20% Debt
VSMGX - Around 60% Equity 40% Debt
VSCGX - Around 40% Equity 60% Debt

One thing I'm not sure about is that a hunk of each of these funds is put into the Vanguard Asset Allocation Fund (VAAPX) which adjusts its asset mix based on computer modeling or something to try to achieve higher long-term returns. For example this allocation fund is now 100% equities (which makes sense) but I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks about it. IIRC Bernstein says not to really adjust your asset mix and these funds do just that.