Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moviemylars
Aug 2, 2002

Out with the old and in with the new.
Let's talk allocation!

I've my 401(k) for 4 years now (I'm 30) and have always maxed this and my ESPP contributions. In the past, my company matched up to $2000 a year with immediate vesting. I would max out my contributions to 20% at the beginning of the year and then changed it to like 1% once I hit the matching level. I figured that it's best to get that money into my account as soon as I could.

This past year my company changed how our 401(k) works and now it matches up to 4% of my salary, but it's at 4% a pay period. I couldn't max it out early and turn it off again like I had in the past. Since my salary is less than $50,000 a year, I also got screwed out of a bit of money. Whatever. They did also introduce a Roth 401k option this year if it makes a difference.

I know that looking at your account's performance too often just isn't the best of ideas, but I'm down ~7% YTD and was hoping people had some ideas as to how I should distribute. When distributions are changed, should you also rebalance? Should you rebalance twice a year or on any regular basis?

I'm with Schwab and here are the funds I have to choose from:
    Large Company:
  • American Funds Grth Fund of Amer R4
  • Dodge & Cox Stock
  • Schwab Instl Select S&P 500

Small/Mid co.:
  • Harbor Small Cap Value Adm
  • Hotchkis and Wiley Mid-Cap Value 1
  • Morgan Stanley Inst Small Co Gr 1
  • Times Scuare Mid Cap Growth Instl

Intl/Global
  • American Funds Capital World F/I R4
  • American Funds Euro/Pacific Gr R4

Bonds
  • PIMCO Total Return Admin

Balanced
  • Dodge & Cox Balanced
  • Schwab Mng Ret. Trust 2010 CL II
  • Schwab Mng Ret. Trust 2020 CL II
  • Schwab Mng Ret. Trust 2030 CL II
  • Schwab Mng Ret. Trust 2040 CL II
  • Schwab Mng Ret. Trust 2050 CL II
  • Schwab Mng Ret. Trust Income CL II

Captital Preservation
  • Schwab Stable Value Instl

Any ideas on how I should handle this? Do you need me to post my current percentages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU