Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been trying to research this on the Bogleheads site but it's a little confusing. I opened a Roth IRA with Vanguard and I put 5500 into the 2050 Target Retirement Fund. I still have another $10,000 or so I can safely invest (I don't need it for 10+ years and I don't want it just sitting in a savings account). Is my only choice at this point to open a brokerage account? If so, should I be avoiding the Life Strategy funds because they have Bonds in them and that triggers taxes? I'd prefer to just set it and forget it. I was planning on just putting all 10k in the VTSAX Total Stock Market fund but it sounds like a bad idea to go all in on stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks for the info. I'm in California at 25%. I'll be fine with 1 and 2 happening. I'm not rich but this is really just extra money that has sat in my bank for several years and I have no foreseeable expenses I can't handle.

The boglehead site talks about how the "fund of funds" like the Target Retirement and the Life Strategy are not ideal for taxable accounts, and that's really all that's throwing me off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Glad you told me about the CA tax free bonds. I'll go in on that. I'm not sure about the plethora of other ones you talked about. Seems easier to just split between the US and World funds.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

paternity suitor posted:

Never go 100% stocks. It's never been a good idea, it's just been profitable the last couple of years. Also worth pointing out that bonds are crazy expensive right now too, and have been for a long time.

So I did the vanguard questionnaire thing and I think I'm comfortable at 70/30 stock/bond. Since my Roth is already maxed out and in a target retirement fund, should I just go ahead and add 30% bonds to my taxable account? I am looking long term here and probably not going to meddle with it for the foreseeable future beside readjusting the ratio every year. It's just that reading the bogleheads forums leads me to think it will kick my rear end with unwanted taxes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm over 30 years from retirement. Do you think I should exchange the target retirement fund to just all bonds then? Part of the appeal for me was that it was hands-off and that Vanguard would take care of it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hoodwinker posted:

Your target date retirement fund already has bonds allocated in it. You probably do not need to allocate many further.

Yes but that's just in my Roth. I'm looking to open a standard brokerage account as well. Shouldn't I be trying to maintain that asset location across both accounts?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ok I can definitely wait.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm inherently scared of new things

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

Was looking at the Vanguard Prime Money Market fund VMMXX and the SEC yield is 1.12% at the moment with an ER of 0.16%. Is that the yield after expenses? I can't ever remember.

I was wondering where to park my emergency fund cash to eek out some extra bucks, but don't want to go through the hassle of opening an account with a new bank or institution. I've got a checking account that pays nearly 0%, a savings account that pays 1%, and if VMMXX is paying 1.12% after expenses it seems like I should be loading my emergency fund into VMMXX. The savings account has paid exactly 1% since I opened the account in 2009 - which makes me think that the interest paid isn't tied to what the market rate is. Generally speaking the loan and deposit rates that this credit union has are pretty crappy. The savings account has really been the only thing redeeming about it, but my expectation is that the 1% interest rate will continue to be parked in that spot for a while regardless of whether market interest rates rise. If the Fed does what they have said they will do and continue to slowly increase rates, then the gap between my savings account and the MM account will likely widen.

Is there any appreciable difference in keeping the cash in the savings account vs in Vanguard's MM account? I don't see where VMMXX has FDIC insurance, so that's probably the big difference? I may even wait until the gap between the savings account and MM widens a bit more.

I put my money in the Ally 11-month no penalty CD. You can withdraw at any time.

https://www.ally.com/bank/no-penalty-cd/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

I would, but for just a few bucks a month, I don't want the hassle of another bank and the associated 1099-int to keep up with. Moving it to the MM account would keep all of the existing banking relationships the same with the potential bonus of those extra few bucks.

Which apparently wouldn't actually be an extra few bucks.

Do you have to keep renewing that product every 11 months, or does it renew automatically at that competitive of a rate? I ask because my parents have recently started taking care of my 90 year old grandmother's finances and found that she had some CDs that auto renewed, but the rates were garbage compared to what other institutions such as Ally were offering.

Thanks for the responses folks!

You have the option to auto renew or to dump it to whatever account when it has matured. The rate isn't guaranteed to stay the same, but I don't see the big issue with checking up on it once a year. Their regular savings account is quite good at 1.2% as well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Covok posted:

My brother did a meeting with an Edward-Jones agent and wants to open a Roth IRA with them. I tried to convince him otherwise, but he doesn't trust my word. I know the company is not that trustworthy due to their high fees -- I mean, look at the thread title --, but I need some proof to stop my brother from making a mistake. Anyone have any articles I could send him? Or something like that?

John Oliver did a segment about retirement accounts. He specifically talks about recommending companies like Vanguard, but the video is like 20 minutes long because retirement accounts are complicated.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We would all do the same if we could.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It should say something about S&P 500 and the expense ratio is very low, like 0.13% or whatever. Those are ideal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vanguard also has a bunch of actively managed funds but even they are low cost

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So I don't have access to a 401k so I just maximize my Roth and have a taxable account for the extra money. Is it possible to screw myself in some way with the taxable by putting in too much money? It's pretty much all in the various Vanguard Total ____ funds with low ERs and passive management. I'm just emulating one of the Target Retirement funds for now. My taxable has at least 4 times more money than my Roth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cool thanks. I put in $3k into the total bond market during my initial confusion but I won't add any more to that and won't reinvest the dividends.

Also after reading the boglehead site a lot of people have the opinion that even at 25% tax rate that putting municipal bonds vs total bond market is basically a wash. My Roth is 100% in a target retirement fund so I don't have room for extra bonds in there. I'm looking for maximum growth and space potential for the Roth so I can play around with bond allocation in 4-5 years.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 6, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e: nevermind

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 14, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Xaris posted:

Ahoy fellow California resident. I suggest VCAIX (California Intermediate Municipal Tax-Free Bonds). It's pretty safe, "past performance does not equal future performance" and all, but it's historically held principal well and the dividends are both state and federal tax free. Return is not particularly great, but its a solid ~2.5% or so div. Plus you kind of support California :ca: There's also VCITX (long-term) which gives a little better yield, but has a little more risk and more prone to some declining principal once interest rates start rising. I'd probably stick with VCAIX if it's mean to be an extension of emergency funds.

With VCAIX I should keep it at least a year before selling right? Otherwise I'm taxed for short term gains?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My parents have put all their retirement money into an annuity. They still have 8 or 9 years to go so I wanted to make them Vanguard IRA and taxable accounts (they are self employed, no 401k). I figure their asset allocation at this point should be 50/50, so should I pretty much do Total Bond Market in IRA and Total Stock market in taxable? Or maybe play around with something like a Tax Managed Fund in taxable along with a Lifestrategy fund in the IRA?

Their tax bracket is around 28% and California tax is 9%.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 16, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dreadite posted:

Have we already covered bond funds in taxable accounts? Is it really a bad idea to hold something like VTB or should I be looking at a tax advantaged bond fund? Does it matter that much if it's purely buy and hold?

It depends on your tax bracket. If you're in the 25% and below then it's probably ok to have VTB. If you're above 25 then you should get a muni bond/tax managed bond.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ally saving accounts are now at 1.25%. I think AmEx is a little higher but Amex rejected me a couple times when I was a teen so gently caress them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think you have one of those "good problems" that I hear a lot about

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just converted my Vanguard International to Admiral shares. woop woop

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What a crushing reminder that I'm old

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well one share of Berkshire Hathaway is down to only $280,000 right now so it's a good a time as any

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm extremely disappointed that B exists

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What happens if I sell my Vanguard Total Bond Market in my taxable account at a loss? It says I lost $80 so far and I bought this before I was aware I was supposed to put bonds in my IRA.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I had to mail in a form to Vanguard to transfer my Merrill Edge account.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Harveygod posted:

Bank of America won't even do them, anymore. That's why I gave up on my old tiny SEP-IRA.

Vanguard told me to just send in the paperwork without the BoA medallion and it worked

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vanguard actually offers CDs if you want something safe. It's about the same as using most online banks though.

Ally offers a 11 month no penalty CD if you put in at least $25,000. That means even if you withdraw the money early you keep all the earnings.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You just stay the course since there will be many more crashes before we retire. I would just keep investing and rebalancing the same way no matter what.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ally has upped their 11-month no penalty CD from 1.5% to 1.6%. I'm thinking of closing mine and opening again with the new rate. Probably a pain though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm assuming they already have retirement accounts? Are those being invested at Merril lynch?

The least they could do is open up Savings accounts and CDs at Ally and GSBank. Instead of the 0.03% interest you get at BoA they'll be getting 1.6% - 2.35%. If they've been hanging onto that much as just cash then I bet they'll be very weary of any risk whatsoever so offer the safe options first. If they are scared of online banks just tell them they are fully FDIC insured just liked BoA.

If they watched the John Oliver thing remind them that he recommended Vanguard for retirement accounts.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Managing_a_windfall

Here is a good starting point. Treat that money like a windfall and your parents have to decide on their risk tolerance.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 14, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Opening those bank accounts shouldn't take more than an hour of work. And better than having them all in one place earning practically nothing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Animal posted:

Absolutely. It's 100% tax advantaged and will sit there accruing interest until the date when you start getting old and health expenses start piling up. I have close to $10,000 in dental expenses coming up and I wish I had funded my HSA way sooner.

It will also lower your taxable income.

Are you getting like 5 implants or what?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

At least you'll probably get some Vicodin

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well with the traditional IRA you're still getting the tax-free growth right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not paying taxes on the capital gains and dividends for 30 years is a big chunk of money IMO.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ally currently offers a 12-month CD at 2% with no minimum requirement. The No-Penalty 11 month CD has also been bumped up to 1.75%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You're still winning in comparison to the suckers that leave their cash at Bank of America or Chase.