Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
This is a really timely thread, thanks. I'm 35 and just getting started in my first real, good-paying job, so I have no retirement savings apart from a tiny 401K from my previous crappy secretary job.

My current employer is matching 3% (and I'm maxing that) deductions to a "simple IRA". I got no guidance about what this means except "call this guy at Morgan Stanley, everyone in the office uses him." It's up to me to decide what to do with the money, with no real advice from anyone including this guy.

My first two checks have been garnished but I haven't even been able to make up my mind where to put the money. Partly because I don't know what to do, partly because I've never trusted/understood stock investing, and it's hard to overcome that prejudice given recent events. I'm also constrained in that I want to try to stick with green or eco-friendly investing.

I'm going to start by reading every link you've posted so far, but in the meantime if you have any guidance I'd appreciate it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU