Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I thought the prevailing wisdom was that the target retirement funds weren't so hot. Looking at Vanguard's, the 2045 retirement fund has 10+% of its assets in bonds. Isn't that a bit conservative? At least the expense ratio is low, and it is essentially just like putting 70+% of your money into an index fund, but I can't help thinking there are better options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Dick Nipples posted:

So I've decided late I want to do the Backdoor Roth for 2017. Does anyone know of a guide/wiki/site that covers what sorta things I need to pay attention to when filing my taxes for 2017? I checked the OP but it didn't explicitly mention it.

File form 8606. It's pretty simple -- part 1 covers the nondeductible contribution and part 2 covers the rollover.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Minty Swagger posted:

I have an IRA with a sizeable 5 figure amount in it that I could roll into my 401k (so i dont get taxed) which should enable the backdoor roth for me in 2018, but sadly I cant do the "MEGA BACKDOOR ROTH" due to it being discriminatory, at least according to finance and HR at my company.

You should definitely do this rollover if your company allows IRA --> 401k transfers (some don't). Just remember your form 8602 reflects IRA balances on Dec 31, so you need to complete the rollover by then. Don't put it off till January and then do the contribution before the tax day deadline or you will get bent over.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I had a signing bonus that was paid out over two years. Starting April 2017 I invested the same amount in Betterment every other Monday -- 66 equal deposits. I don't even remember why I picked them over buying VTSAX.

Betterment just added a cool new comparison so I can see how much I lost by using them vs. investing in index funds, right on their site. So useful!

Annualized, that's 7.6% vs. 12.1% return. Maybe I'll stop now.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I've linked this before but this guy has screenshots of the entire process: https://thephysicianphilosopher.com/first-backdoor-roth-on-vanguard/

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KillHour posted:

This backdoor stuff is what always scared me off of opening an IRA. Is there an idiot's primer to doing this properly?

Linking this again. Actual process at Vanguard, step by step: https://www.physicianonfire.com/backdoor/

As for rules: ensure you don't have any Trad IRAs.

Jows posted:

Say I have $130k in a Trad IRA that was a rollover from a Trad 401k from an old job. I executed the rollover in 2011. I've also changed funds a few times. I can dig up my closed positions to find my original cost basis for the IRA, but I have no clue what portion of that original rollover was from my salary deferral and what was put in by my company (profit sharing, safe harbor, and match).

You can run through the math on form 8606. It won't be pretty. See if your 401k allows in-service rollovers -- I was able to roll my trad IRA into my active 401k.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Jows posted:

I'll check out the form. Thanks. My active 401k is a Roth (trad for company match and ESOP contributions though), so I don't know if that would work. Maybe if it is offered they could roll it into the trad part?

They likely could. My previous small company using ADP 401k allowed "reverse rollovers" (just realized I used the wrong terminology before) but some of the FAANGs do not.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

MJP posted:

I've already got something like $78k+ in the trad (at least before stonks tanked, I have been avoiding Personal Capital for sanity lately). I'm converting it over at $5k/year to not have a giant amount of taxes to pay on it, at my accountant's advice.

If you're eligible for a 401k see if it allows reverse rollovers -- about half do. You can just dump the trad IRA into the 401k, wait a cal year, and start doing the backdoor roth.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

MJP posted:

I'm utterly lost. I thought I was supposed to be putting the trad IRA into the 401k and then next year start contributing to the Roth from the 401k?

It's a multi part issue.

You can contribute $6k to a roth IRA at any income level. if you're over a certain income level, you do what's known as a backdoor contribution.

If you need to do a backdoor contribution, they don't work if you have trad IRA balances. If you need to use the backdoor method, you want to get rid of your trad IRA.

You can get rid of your trad IRA two ways:

1) convert to a roth and pay taxes on money converted. Sounds like you're doing this over time. It's questionable if there's a benefit to doing it in small chunks if you can afford it -- I mean, you wouldn't want to go into the next marginal tax bracket here, but otherwise you can go as fast as you can afford.
2) reverse rollover to a 401k if your plan allows it. What I suggested instead as it's quicker and no tax implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

MJP posted:

Okay so given my trad IRA balance, I think I might have sort of an idea on how to backdoor Roth?

1) Convert my current trad IRA balance to Roth and just eat the taxes since the balance is low now thanks to line go down (Is there some way to estimate how much I'd owe in taxes?)
2) Save $6000 for 2021
3) Make a $6000 contribution to the trad IRA
4) Wait for it to show up
5) Convert the contribution to the Roth IRA
6) Repeat for wife's IRA
7) Repeat from 2021 through retirement

I don't think there's any need to wait a year. If you were to get rid of your traditional IRA by reverse rollover , you couldn't backdoor for 2019 because form 8606 asks for the balances of your trad IRAs as of Dec 31 2019 and that's already happened. You could backdoor for 2020, though, as long as you got rid of the trad IRA balance by Dec 31 2020.

But the entire sequence I just described is to avoid paying tax on the balance of your trad IRA -- and you're already paying taxes by converting it to Roth. I can't think of a reason, then, that you couldn't still backdoor for 2019 between now and April 15, and you can definitely backdoor for 2020.

Sorry, this stuff is stupidly convoluted.