Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala
I am opening up a ROTH IRA for the first time and I have had the 5k from last year sitting in an ING savings account. If I open the account now, and put that money in, does that count as my 2008 contribution or my 2009 contribution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

Regnevelc posted:

I am hearing that the international market will start their downturn shortly and that the U.S. Market will start their recovery.

I think that advice sounds a little fishy. Why would the international market start their downturn shortly, they have pretty much been getting hammered along with the US.

Vanguard All World ex US etf:

Vanguard European ETF:

Vanguard Pacific ETF:

Vanguard Emerging Market ETF:

These charts certainly do not indicate that the rest of the world is going to begin their downturn shortly...maybe you have been hearing about a different world.

They may not be at the bottom but the rest of the world has also been caught up in the economic turmoil at about the same time.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

KarmaCandy posted:

And if anyone's curious, here was his explanation:

Any thoughts on this method? I'm still not comfortable with it and am going to go with something more long term, but do other people do something similar to this?

It's probably ok, however, if he wants to continue doing it on any sort of volume he should move to a broker that will not charge commissions on his trades for larger accounts. Zecco comes to mind.

SecretFire posted:

In related news, I've had a lump sum sitting in my brokerage account for over a month now, but I haven't yet put it into the portfolio I designed. It seems like every day I have the free time to do it, the market is up a couple of percent, and I'd prefer to wait until it's down a few percent to put the money in. I really need to stop trying to time the market but...aggh.

I am in the same boat. I may just dump it all into a bond ETF until small market correction comes. Heh all I want to do is buy on a down tick but it does not appear that will ever come.