Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Aggro Craig posted:

Is there any significant difference between ETFs and index funds?

There was just an article on money.cnn.com about this -

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/06/pf/funds/etf/ETFs_index_funds.moneymag/index.htm?postversion=2009010705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Bob Cthulhu posted:

They went out of business earlier this year. I assume that makes the 401k go away...but I don't really know any specifics, so it's kinda a guess.

The 401K account doesn't go away... they money is his.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Your per share price gains don't seem that outrageous to me considering the entire market dropped about 40 percent last year.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I know for a fact the Tradtional IRA to Roth IRA conversion is being extended to all income groups (those making over $100,000) in 2010, but are they really doing away with all income requirements of a Roth IRA?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

dv6speed posted:

The only attractive feature, as far as I'm concerned, of 401k's are employer matching of funds. You don't have this advantage, so you are really better just to stick to a Roth IRA, and a Traditional IRA in place of the 401k.

Pre-tax contributions aren't considered attractive?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

gp2k posted:

Yeah, you're right.

Related question though, since the Vanguard Prime Money Market fund is making 0.09%, and its expense ratio is 0.25%, why would anyone put money in it? Why not keep it in a savings account in a bank that has no fees or expense ratio?

Exactly. That's why mine is in a savings account earning ~1%. It's for emergencies, not investing. Safety and immediate liquidity is the goal here.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

gp2k posted:

Which bank if I might ask? My credit union's Money Market savings account for that balance range is only 0.4%

A local bank to me, Modern Woodmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

80k, what's your opinion on the rumblings of a "bond bubble"?

I've read up on the issue and I just can't seem to shake out whether it's real or not. Is there a large risk to investing in something like Vanguard's Total Bond Market fund? It seemed like a pretty safe part of my portfolio but now I'm starting to question myself.