Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is it still generally recommended to set a 401k to a US Total Stock Index Fund, an International, and a US Bond Market fund as in Bernstein's booklet?

I've had my stuff on TRIP2050 and i'm interested in taking a more active approach. My stuff is via Fidelity so it'd something like:

34% FXAIX, FPADX (at 80:20)
33% FSPSX
33% FXNAX

I am maxing out my contributions, as a note.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

drk posted:

A three fund portfolio is still a very good default for long term investors.

Your proposed portfolio is overweight international, and I'd personally drop the emerging markets fund.

How would you balance it out, then? I had included the emerging markets fund because my understanding was that FXAIX and FPADX would provide equivalent exposure to say, VTSAX which i know is popular but unavailable to me. Though I see I may be conflating FPADX and FSMAX (Emerging vs Extended)

Edit: Here's what I have the choices of:

quote:

Short Bonds/Stable/MMkt
Goldman Sachs Stable Value Instl Class 1

Interm./Long-Term Bonds
Baird Aggregate Bond Instl
Fidelity US Bond Index

Large-Cap Stocks
Vanguard Equity-Income Adm
Fidelity 500 Index
American Century Growth R6

Small/Mid-Cap Stocks
Fidelity Mid Cap Index
Columbia Small Cap Value II Instl3
Fidelity Small Cap Index
Lord Abbett Developing Growth R6
Fidelity Real Estate Index

International Stocks
American Funds EuroPacific Gr R6
American Funds New Perspective R6
Columbia Overseas Value Instl3
Fidelity International Index
Fidelity Emerging Markets Index

Multi-Asset/Other
A bunch of TRIP junk

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 28, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What are you actually trying to achieve in terms of objectives for portfolio construction? It sounds like you believe actively managing fund selection is better per se, not because you have any real issue with the way a TDF is allocated. Unless you have specific goals you are trying to achieve there isn't much point, other than maybe reducing expense ratios.

My specific goal was that I read the booklet in the OP (which is probably somewhat out of date) which recommends this sort of allocation, and I was wondering if that's still a good thing to do vs just letting my money sit in TRIP2050 (VFIFX) where it is now.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i won't sweat it, then. i've gotten this far.