Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

detloc
Oct 13, 2003

Poofter? In the footy stands, [b]maybe[/b], but in the office? I think not!

MisterPants posted:

I posted this in a thread of mine but got no responses so I'll try here.

I am now looking to invest in shares soon. I've done my homework and think I have my strategy worked out but would just like to see if there's anything glaringly obvious that someone more experienced will see that I'm doing wrong.
:words:

Your strategy is fairly similar to mine. I recently borrowed against the equity in my home and bought a bunch of shares, roughly half STW (the ASX200 SPDR) and half MLT (an LIC that doesn't actively follow the index and pays fully franked dividends). I did consider the Vanguard but decided against it due to the higher management fee (MLT's management fee is approx .17%). I also feel more comfortable being able to buy through commsec. I'm only planning to buy shares twice a year, right before the dividend gets paid (lower capital gains tax if I ever sell).

I'm in the dividend re-investment plan for STW and will roll my MLT dividend into the cash I save over the 6-month period, using it to buy new units. The plan is when I'm sick of working I'll be able to switch off the dividend reinvestment and instead use the money to pay my bills, allowing me to savour my freedom to do whatever I want.

At your age it sounds like you'll be well set up by the time you're in your 30s - and you're building a solid asset base you can use to help buy a house without having to pay mortgage insurance.

I'm always keen to talk investing with people, MSN in my profile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU