Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
I have an IRA account and I am trying to move my money out of a high expense mutual fund. I was looking at vanguard no load index tracking funds but they have minimums that prevent me from using them. So now I'm looking at ETFs. Here is the split I am leaning towards, they are all Vanguard, because they seem to have low expenses.

60% VTI- This one seems to follow the S&P500 could someone point me towards one that follows a larger index like the Wilshire 5000

10% BND Total Bond fund US

20% VT - Vanguard world market

10% VWO - Vanguard Emerging Market

Does this look alright, I know i'll have more difficulty dollar cost averaging with ETFs but I only contribute once per year so I think this is my best bet. Also my broker gives me $5 trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003

CobiWann posted:

I started with my current company in 2005 at the age of 28, and have been investing into my 401(k) at 12%, which they fully match.

Even though the economy is sauntering downward, my company's doing well enough that they're upping the matching rate to 20% starting January 2010. Now, I'd be a fool to pass up on 8% free money at the age of 32, BUT...I'm also trying to pay down $15,000 in credit card debt at the pace of about $750-$950 a month at this current time with 15% annual rate (minimum payment is $330 a month, but I'm well above that obviously).

My question is this - should I up my contributions in January and lower what I'm using to pay off my credit cards, which means taking longer to eliminate the debt? Should I up my contributions in Jaunary and keep my credit card payments the same, which means cutting out drat near everything fun?

My long-term goal is to kill my debt and then start taking that credit card money and splitting it into a mortgage down payment and a Roth IRA by January 2011.

If you have any assets see if you can consolidate the credit card by using what you have as collateral, maybe you could put your 401k up as collateral.