Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Febtober
Oct 29, 2003

I guess I'm looking for something "easy" to invest in myself. I currently have a Roth IRA set up with Vanguard with about $12k in it that's maxed out for the year. I'm also contributing 3% (the maximum my company matches) into a 401k from work, although it's worth mentioning that I don't really plan on being there long enough to get the full vesting from it.

My checking account usually has >$10k in it and I feel like it should be out doing something, but I don't really know what. The only thing I can think of is to increase my 401k contributions, but like I said, I don't plan on being at my current employer long enough to see the matching.

I'm 24 so it's okay if I don't see this money for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febtober
Oct 29, 2003

I think this is a thread worthy of bumping...

I'm throwing around ideas for another long term investment. As I mentioned before, I've got about 12k in VTSMX as a Roth IRA. I was doing some reading at fool.com and they have some really good things to say about Vanguard's S&P 500 Index, so I thought about that, but then they have this article on their frontpage, so I'm not really sure...

This money shouldn't be needed for about 30 years, so I don't mind going aggressive, something like VGTSX, Vanguard's International Stock Index Fun, with more exposure to emerging markets.

edit: oh I also threw 1k into an etrade account, but that's not for anything long term. I'm not real knowledgeable about what I'm doing there, just sort of using it for fun.

Febtober fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 25, 2008

Febtober
Oct 29, 2003

Don Wrigley posted:

For more diversity, contribute to VGTSX in some percentage depending on age

I'm 24. I think I'll go ahead and throw the $3,000 minimum into VGTSX. It's current price is pretty much its 52 week low, so I guess I guess I've got the "buy low" part down.

Febtober
Oct 29, 2003

Nosre posted:

There's a lot of love for VEIEX - Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund in this thread, and I'm thinking of getting into it for part of my Roth to get some international exposure. One thing that stands out though is it has a purchase and redemption fee of 0.25%. With all the (justified) talk about minimizing fees and overhead, what's the deal with that? I haven't noticed it on any of the other Vanguard funds.

The purchase fee isn't too bad. It's 25 cents per $100 that you buy, so it cost me $7.50 when I opened it up with the $3k min. Also if you keep the money in the fund for over a year, they don't charge the redemption fee, according the rep I spoke with on the phone.