Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Agreeed. People continually overweight themselves in equities stating that you are supposed to have more equity exposure when you are young. Well, technically yes, you should have more exposure, because as you reach retirement age, your equity exposure should be lessened as much as possible. But then you get these 90% equity portfolios because people think that their age is some sort license to throw all the benefits of diversification out the window. Hopefully this market cycle teaches some people how bad this practice is.
Keep in mind though, that most people's portfolio contains cash or cash equivalents. My emergency fund and housing fund are both in a money market account that is essentially cash and short term government bonds. ~90% of my retirement accounts are in equities, but that's only 50% of my total portfolio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU