Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

filo
Jan 27, 2004

run run run run run
So, I think I made a few stupid newbie investment mistakes, but I'm ready to own up to them and try to fix the situation.

Earlier this year, I invested around $9000 in SEP retirement money from 2007 in the Fidelity Independence Fund (FDFFX). At the time, it was 5-star rated and looked decent (despite high expense ratio .9% -- mistake, I know). Anyway, now, I'm down 50% and I want to know, do I ride this out and hope for some sort of recovery or should I bail from this fund and try to diversify the remaining money?

I'm turning 27 in January so I don't need it anytime soon but I would like to try not to lose it all. I know the market is lovely right now so everyone is down but it seems I got whacked worse than most. Fidelity has a $10k minimum for investing in index funds so I couldn't do that at the time and I'm not sure what I'm eligible for right now with only around $5000 to invest. I would prefer to be a more hands off investor so if there is a good route to go with that in mind, it would probably be best.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

filo
Jan 27, 2004

run run run run run
I have a bunch of money sitting in my fidelity cash reserves right now. When do I throw it into mutual funds? I see the market is down substantially today and although I won't need to retire anytime soon, I'd rather not loose a large chunk of my principle by jumping on the rollercoaster when it seems there might be a lot more ups and downs coming soon. I know this is a ridiculously open-ended question and no one can predict the future but I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

filo
Jan 27, 2004

run run run run run
My brother has 4 shares of Pepsi that he got as a Christmas gift 10 years ago. How would he go about selling those?

filo
Jan 27, 2004

run run run run run
He's got the actual certificates in hand.

filo
Jan 27, 2004

run run run run run
Thanks 80k, I'll let him know. I was hoping it wouldn't be too difficult.