Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
So I'm a 25 year old college student, and I've decided I need to learn be wiser about my investments. Not that I'm bad, I just don't know anything about them really.

I've set up my 401K with my employer, and I take 15% out of my paycheck. I believe my employer will match 5%, so I'm clearly overing their maximum. Now, I currently only make $15 an hour, so I don't think I'd be able to come close to maxing out a Roth IRA in a year. Should I stick with the 15% or save up to start a Roth IRA, and instead dump my excess earnings there?

My 401K is managed by Masterplan, and I'm looking at my most recent statement, and I don't really understand much of it, and I'm looking for someone to help interpret (and make suggestions.)

Under asset summary, it says I am 100% invested in 'Growth Portfolio', which has a bunch of investment components like PTRAX, DODGX, VIFSX, RGAFX, RERFX, and 5-6 more that I'm only lightly invested in. Are each of these amalgamations of other investments? And what qualities should I be most concerned with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Can someone help me figure out the difference between PLDAX, PTRAX, VIBSX and IUTIX? As far as I can tell PLDAX and PTRAX differ largely in duration, where PLDAX is more short term and PTRAX is more long term bonds. Is there any other significant difference between them?

VIBSX has much lower expenses, which seem to me might outweigh the potential loss I might suffer due to inflation in the near future. It is also much less invested in the mortgage sector.

IUTIX, a treasury fund, seems to be a low risk, low reward fund for those more interested in security of principle.

These are the four options available for bonds in my 401K. Ideally I'd love a short term index fund, but I'm more or less stuck in this 401K until I start my career this summer.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Has anyone else taken a look at Plantly.com. They are advertising themselves as a planning utility, but they are suggesting the 'same returns with lower risk' which strikes me as a HUGE red flag. My wife is investment averse (as she just "doesn't care") so I'm trying to find the easiest/most colorful way for her to make decisions. Plantly looks promising, but it also strikes me as predatory somehow.

Anyone? (Lifehacker.com has invites for Plantly if you are interested in getting into the beta. GOLIFEHACKER is the beta code.)

Right now I'm just having her park her money in a targeted retirement fund at Vanguard, which seems much more trustworthy to me.