Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-tito-
Feb 6, 2004
The Dirty Mexican
IF I may ask, what is the point of going back to your 401(k) plan after maxing out your employer match on your 401(k) and then maxing out your Roth IRA? Most 401(k) plans offer limited fund selections (easier to administer) that have higher loads or fees than other available options.

Why wouldn't you want to go to a taxable fund with infinite investment choices, easier access to your assets in case of a need for withdrawal or change, as well as being to choose a company that gives you the information you need. I, personally, like having access to my money without having to take a loan or having to prove financial hardship in case I have to tap my assets. I know there are tax advantages but you are significantly limiting yourself in options in most cases. Perhaps your personal investment choices could not beat the pre-tax gains but I see it as a toss-up (my 401(k) is administered by a large company and it only has 1 index fund for example).

Also, I think a lot of people of a younger demographic realize the need to be self-reliant in old age and are starting to enroll in 401(k) plans and Roths but then will put 0-20% (if they are lucky) down on a home and be stuck paying interest their whole lives. Does your $5000 a year into a Roth really offset hundreds of thousands of dollars in interest you pay on mortgages?

I'm looking at buying a cheap 1 bedroom condo in a good area with 40-50% down that I could immediately rent out for more than the payments and then continuing the cycle while still investing ~16% of my gross salary. This alone will save almost 90K in interest over the life of the loan. I don't exactly make a grand salary but I am frugal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-tito-
Feb 6, 2004
The Dirty Mexican

"[panic posted:

"]
It kind of depends on your tax bracket and 401k options. I would personally argue that the tax savings are worth the hit on ideal asset allocation for most 401k funds. If I was an active trader, there's no way I would be in a 401k beyond the match. But usually, a 401k has at least 1 or 2 funds that are *not bad*, and you can use the rest of your savings to compliment those choices.

Again, it comes to tax savings and your own personal situation. Let's say you can get a mortgage for 6%. Now let's estimate the tax deduction on mortgage interest reduces the effective rate to something like 4%. Yes, you are paying 4% interest (net of tax savings), but there is a very high likelihood that you can get a better return by saving in a 401k or Roth.

In addition (and more importantly), investment vehicles like a Roth are only available up until a certain income limit, and only allow for a very limited investment each year. Therefore, it is extremely important that you take advantage of these programs while you can. There are no catch-up contributions for a 25 year old.

Finally, while you personally are able to get 50% down on a condo, this is just not feasible for a lot of young workers. In many cities, this would cost at least $75. If you work for 7-8 years to save that money, you have missed out on the most important retirement savings years of your life and you will work that much harder to save for retirement going forward than the kid that started at 22.

You bring up some great points [panic]. Personally, I started at 17 so I have a bit of a headstart due to a lot of work. I think young workers can save up a significant amount very quickly if they made some simple choices (understandably not always feasible) early in their stable employment, such as not getting a new car right out of college, not buying every toy in sight, and so on (not preaching extreme frugality here by any means). Thanks for the discussion!

-tito-
Feb 6, 2004
The Dirty Mexican
What does the collective group think about traditional 401(k) versus Roth 401(k) options? I have an option for both at my work. The max employer match is 6% (plus an additional 4% gratis) but that can be split however I choose to invest. I can, potentially, invest in both at the same time. There is no difference in the funds; merely the pre and post-tax treatment.

What I was thinking of doing is switching my contributions from my traditional 401(k) to the Roth 401(k). That way I have a balance of both. Additionally, I could couple the Roth 401(k) with a regular Roth IRA and get double the benefit. That is assuming the tax environment 40 years from now will be at a higher rate than is now (highly likely I believe).

One last thing, I've also read various reports that call into question that one will need 80+% of your current income during retirement. During retirement your taxes generally go down, you have a paid off residence (hopefully), a simpler lifestyle, and so forth. These reports also assume Social Security will still be around, that inflation hasn't eaten away 50% of your portfolio, and you made smart medical choices and are still covered relatively inexpensively.

Thoughts?

-tito-
Feb 6, 2004
The Dirty Mexican

80k posted:

-tito-,
regarding the roth vs traditional 401(k), keep in mind that your company matching will be done on a pre-tax basis, regardless of whether you choose roth or traditional. So if you want to have a bit of both, you will in fact have both even if you put all your contributions into a Roth 401(k), since your employer's contributions are going into a traditional 401(k).

I presume that the company match is then taxed upon withdrawal in retirement like a traditional 401(k) then?

Thanks for the great info. 80k

-tito-
Feb 6, 2004
The Dirty Mexican

Ravarek posted:

Yeah, but what's the alternative, dude? What do you suggest? That the average person should save nothing for retirement and just work until death?

I think what he is advocating is moderation in one's investment strategy and not wholesale abandonment of saving or investing. If you think about it, why should you invest much more than 15% of your income on the upper-end? Why should you save and skip vacations, going out, etc. due to extreme saving and miss out on what life has to offer? When you are 65 and in a diaper or full of many illnesses, and are too old to go visit all the wonderful places you've wanted to go to your whole life...what is the point?

There are many stories out there of people that have lived a hard-working life, been successful, finally retired only to be too sick (or die) to fulfill their dreams. Would you rather have a harder time in old age when you have lived a full, happy life or face regret?

As with everything, moderation is key.