Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Chad Sexington posted:

It's still liquid enough in a Roth IRA. You can withdraw your contributions whenever you want, it's just the the interest you can't take out without penalty.

When you withdraw your contributions from a Roth IRA, can you deposit it back? Or does any deposit go against the yearly limit?

For example, the 2008 contribution limit is $5000. If I withdraw $1000 in July 2008, can I put in $6000 the next month?

Or is it "once it's out, it's out"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

totalnewbie posted:

Roth IRA has CY annual max contribution of 5000 so if you put in 5k now, you can put in another 5k any time in 2012 whereas if you put in 5k in January 2012 (or any time in 2012, actually), you cannot put in any more until January 2013. So as far as that goes, I think you're better off putting in 5k now to get the 2011 contribution in and then putting in 5k in 2012 when you can. I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you and that's what I did.

As I understand, you can even put 5k into your Roth and temporarily invest it in a money market, which seems to basically just be a "temporary" holding account for all intents and purposes. But that will still count towards your annual contribution. That's basically what I did until I decided to just buy the Target Retirement 2050 fund for now.

You actually have until April 15, 2012 to contribute for the 2011 year. When you transfer money to the Roth IRA between Jan 1-Apr 15, there will be a checkbox asking you if the contribution is for 2011 or 2012.

edit: Actually, April 15, 2012 falls on a Sunday so I think you have until April 16, 2012 to contribute, but that's just splitting hairs.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 7, 2011