Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
This was posted in another thread:

MrBigglesworth posted:

Id find some nice stable dividend investments to generate quarterly income to supplement your IRA/401k stuff, roll some of it forward to reinvest into itself and let it ride a while.

Utility companies are good example as utility rates are always increasing.

http://dividata.com/stock/ED Stock is $43.09 and pays 60 cents a share per quarter and has had increasing dividends forever and have been paying them for 40 years now.

Say you took $10K and dumped it in you'd get 232 shares. @ 60 cents per you'd make $140 ever 3 months just on a $10K investment or $46 a month. Much better than a bank/CD (2% would only get you $16/month. Split that up into a few different sectors and keep your eye on it from time to time and you'd fine.

http://dividata.com/stock/VVC is another. $23.05 with .34 cents a share. $10K would get you 433 shares, $147/qtr or $50 a month, about the same as above, but cheaper entry price, but also rising every year on div pay out as well. Reinvest these to generate more over time and youd have some nice tax free div payments in your IRA if you so choose.

Id love to get into a situation over time where I have a number of dividend paying investments hitting the account on a regular basis.
I have some money I need to invest or at least do something with. Are there any mutual funds that include a lot of stocks that pay dividends or a diversified portfolio that has a lot of stable stocks with dividends? This is just something I'd be interested in after setting up a Roth. I'd like to put it somewhere I could gain more than 1.75% return.

I was planning on opening a Roth IRA soon. Will probably go through Vanguard thanks to this thread. Any money invest would mostly go toward retirement, but some may eventually go toward a house. I had a couple questions about their IRA's. I would be in the 2050 retirement bracket. So taken from Vanguard's website:

quote:

SEC yield as of 10/12/2010 2.15% B —
YTD as of 10/13/2010 8.58% —
1 year 10.26% —
3 year –4.81% —
5 year — —
10 year — —
Since inception (06/07/2006) 1.79% —

The total annual asset-based fee includes the weighted average of the annualized expense ratios of underlying mutual funds.
Expense ratio 0.20% 0.59%
Does the YTD of 8.58% mean that it has gained 8.58% since Jan 1st? 10.26% since October '09? What is the SEC yield? If I have extra money should I just open a mutual fund with the same 2050 bracket? Would this be something I could contribute to monthly? Taken out of a paycheck with billpay or something similar? If Vanguard has something similar to the first quote, I would very much like to know about it as I haven't found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
If IRA contributions are based on earned income, can I contribute the whole $5000 on Jan. 1 or would I have to wait until I actually have an earned income equal to the contribution limit?

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
My Vanguard 2050 retirement fund went up nearly 3% this week... If only I had more money in it.

|Ziggy| fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 5, 2010

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Orgasmo posted:

:words:

Very informative thank you for this.

Do you think Verizon will continue to increase? It's at its 52 week highs. Will it see its 2007 highs again in the somewhat immediate future?

Somewhat related...has the Verizon iPhone 4 been confirmed for release? All I seem to find are rumors.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

moflika posted:

I should probably educate myself on tax matters before taking this kind of step, but you've got to start somewhere. Speaking of which, could I trust someone from a place like H and R Block to make sure I don't miss anything come tax time if I keep my investments simple, or should I move up in the world and find a better tax person? They can be pretty $$$$...

I worked for a similar company and I wouldn't trust H&R Block or the company I worked for. I had to take training to do it, sure, but basically all I did was enter it into a program and it told me what you'd get. Those companies can get expensive too. For example a basic return with 1 W-2 would cost a bit over $100 to do, but additional things increase this number pretty quickly and soon enough your return is $300. That really sucks when you get to the end and realize you owe money. Not only to the government but now the tax company if you file with them or pay their consulting fee.

If all you have is a W-2 you should file yourself. There are programs like TurboTax that could be helpful if it's a little more complicated. I still use a pen and paper to fill everything out, but you can do it online at the IRS website I believe. Most tax things aren't as complicated as you would think, but we have a big tax megathread here you could ask questions in.

edit - Tax Megathread

|Ziggy| fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 14, 2010

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
I'm not understanding...is your employer paying your loan for you? If not, whatever investment you decide will need to make over 6.8-8% to be more worthwhile than paying off the debt. Also, look into Roth IRA's for retirement investments.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

SomeGuyinIL posted:

I have an 8%/4% match going into 401k, and 4% going into a roth. We keep a $1k buffer in the checking account as emergency, but have 9k in savings currently. The problem is the savings account is a whopping .33% I've been looking around the KC area but haven't had much luck in finding somewhere better for the savings account. I would like to keep it liquid as a 6 month type of fund and just contribute 1% annually anyways to see it grow. Am I really stuck with this .33% or are there better options/rates? I've looked around and even found a few websites that 'find you the best savings rates' around. How trustworthy are these? I'm a bit timid to drop 9k into a bank I don't know.

I think smartypig is at 1.35% right now... I use it and I know several others do. I haven't had any problems, but sending/receiving money takes a few business days so keep that in mind.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
How old are you? 40% in bonds is a lot.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

defmacro posted:

Quick (and probably easy) question. I'm a graduate student with ~10k in savings and I'd like to open a Roth IRA. I already completed my tax return and I want to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid.

If I contribute before April 15th (this would count for last year) I won't have to redo my taxes or anything, correct? I'm assuming since anything put in the Roth IRA is already taxed (and I already paid/received money based on this) I should be able to do whatever with the money. Furthermore, since that contribution is for last year, after April 15th I should be able to do an additional contribution for this year, right?

Yes, roths are already taxed so it won't affect your taxes. You can contribute for 2010 from Jan 1 2010-April 15 2011. You an contribute for 2011 from Jan 1 2011-April 15 2012. So you can do them both now, you don't have to wait until after April 15th.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Speaking of emergency funds, if I make, say, 40k a year, what's a reasonable emergency fund amount to build up?

What are your monthly costs? I think general rule of thumb is have a 6 month safety net.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm actually curious on how 401k and IRA works if you are able to retire early. Lets say I luck out and some sort of investment blows up and I'm swimming in dough. Forecasting into the future I could retire at lets say 54 or something. Is all the money I've socked away into the IRA and 401k locked up until I turn 60 or 59 1/2 or whatever it is? I know I can pull it early and take an excise tax hit but this is assuming I dont do that.

Also yeah I'd rather oversave and realize that I'm in a great spot 10-20 years from now vs undersave and then have to hustle the gently caress up 10-20 years from now. Yeah I may not be buying a house like all my friends right now, but at the same time I think that buying a house in CA is not exactly the best choice in this financial climate. I also dont plan to have kids for a long time so I do have a lot more freedom on where I can move etc.

If you're swimming in enough dough to retire early, why would you want to touch your 401k or IRA? It wouldn't be money you need so there is no incentive to withdraw early. I don't understand why anyone would even consider this unless you found something with a guaranteed return greater than the hit you're going to take for withdrawing early. If you knew of some investment like that, then you should charge millions and still not be worrying about your 401k or IRA.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I was assuming the investment that blows up is in my tax advantaged account so it wouldnt be something liquid. Basically I'd have a big ole 401k, enough to retire at X age before 60. Sounds like most people just take the hit though or work it out one way or another. Was just thinking aloud I suppose. v:shobon:v

That makes a lot more sense, thanks. I was thinking you'd take riskier investments that may blow up in unsheltered accounts. In that case, I would work minimally until I could start taking out or take out only enough to live comfortably until I hit 60.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

tuyop posted:

vOv, I think he covers the stoic philosophy that helps with financial independence in a really good, accessible way.

And for a lot of people, debt repayment and retirement are like lights at the end of a tunnel. Reading his blog and YMOYL really kind of helped me and my partner get over the idea that living on 40-50% of our income is a "tunnel" at all. It's just a different way to do life, and with the right outlook and strategies, we could still be happy on even much less.

To be fair, he stated that to live that kind of retirement lifestyle you need a lot already in the bank. He already owns a home, cars, and toys. He does state how he got them in good deals, but he's obviously established and has a nest egg. He also spends tons of time on repairs and shopping around himself. A lot of people don't have that kind of time or knowledge. It's still an interesting read.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
SmartyPig is at 1.00%.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Orange_Lazarus posted:

How much do you think it would cost a year to live in the Phillipines? If I ever owned a house outright here in the states I could probably get by on less than 1200 a month.

I know for a fact people do outsourced work there for < $4 per hour. So probably not too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

ntan1 posted:

Nope on sectors.

Gold/silver were high in 08/09. I think people were using that to counter falling stocks. Might be something to look further into. I'm not a trading professional.