Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Here's some reading recommendations:

Fundamentals

The Four Pillars of Investing
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Pillars-Investing-Building-Portfolio/dp/0071385290

Vanguard Investor Education Pages
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/planningeducation/education

Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-People-Money-Mistakes-Correct/dp/B00150D6KU/ref=pd_sim_b_45

Deeper Cuts

Intelligent Investor
http://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Investor-Book-Practical-Counsel/dp/B0002X1JKU/ref=pd_sim_b_39

Stocks for the Long Run
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/planningeducation/education

A Random Walk Down Wall Street
http://www.amazon.com/Random-Walk-Down-Wall-Street/dp/0393325350/ref=pd_sim_b_23

The Intelligent Asset Allocator
http://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Asset-Allocator-Portfolio-Maximize/dp/0071362363/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229645913&sr=8-1

All About Asset Allocation
http://www.amazon.com/About-Asset-Allocation-Richard-Ferri/dp/0071429581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229645934&sr=1-1

Economic Interest

Devil Take the Hindmost
http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Take-Hindmost-Financial-Speculation/dp/0452281806/ref=pd_sim_b_41

Against the Gods
http://www.amazon.com/Against-Gods-Remarkable-Story-Risk/dp/0471295639/ref=pd_sim_b_1

A Splendid Exchange
http://www.amazon.com/Splendid-Exchange-Trade-Shaped-World/dp/0871139790/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215291970&sr=1-4

edit: Fixed links for those so amazingly lazy they can't copy/paste into Amazon. (i.e. goons)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

My portfolio is pretty typical for long-term strategy in early career (mix of growth/value, mix of large/small cap, mix of domestic and international). I don't have any emerging market funds and using the Yahoo! mutual fund tool and searching by morningstar ratings, load, etc. the top funds are either closed or not available through Schwab. I've seen the Vanguard index here, but does anyone have recommendations either for other general emerging markets funds or for one that focuses on India/China/Russia +/- Brazil? It's just a small amount (this year's Roth) but I want to fully diversify!

I think Vanguard's Emerging Markets Index fund is a good, cheap fund to use if you want to just add EM. Do you have a reason for not using it?

If you're looking for slightly off-the-basic indexes to take a look at you could take a look at GUR, GWX and TRAMX which invest in emerging Europe, intl. small cap and Africa and Middle East respectively.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 9, 2008

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

abagofcheetos posted:

For those that advocate index fund portfolios, is there any reason why you wouldn't simply select all 2x or 3x or 100x (I guess they don't exist... yet) bull funds instead of just the regular indexes?

For one, the expense ratios and fees of that sort of fund tend to be very high.

You're also exposing yourself to alot of downside risk from leverage. Very young index investors might want an equity exposure over 100%, but most people in most situations will want less than 100% equity exposure.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

abagofcheetos posted:

The expense ratios may be high but that is just relative, if you are making double return who cares if you are paying a percent or two in expenses.

And I don't know what risk you are talking about that isn't already inherent in index investing. You are either going to make or lose double your investment. I thought the point of long term index investing is that it is the most efficient and best suited to give you good returns. If that is the case, why wouldn't you want double the action?

Cause even in a 2x fund, a 50% drop should wipe you totally out if the fund is really leveraged 2x. The market loses 50% pretty frequently, in terms of an investment lifetime.

You don't get double the upside without double the downside, regardless of what the prospectus tries to tell you. Either you're leveraged 2:1, or you're not. If you are, a 50% drop is margin calls all the way to 0, baby... or close enough that you're pretty screwed.

You can come back from a drop of 50%, but not a drop to 0.

I guess what you're missing is that you can't just fluctuate between +2x and -2x. As soon as you can't collateralize your leverage, the bank pulls your other funds in a 'margin call'. So if you go down to -1x or so, you're done, your collateralized safety margin is used up. So if you could just close your eyes and let it ride, it makes sense like you say, but the reality is that noone will continue to lend you the leverage when you're already so underwater that you can't pay it back.

Someone else can probably say this in a much simpler way.

(also the expense ratios and fees are more like 10-20x what a good broad-index fund would be, not 2x)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 10, 2008

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

alucinor posted:

This is a really timely thread, thanks. I'm 35 and just getting started in my first real, good-paying job, so I have no retirement savings apart from a tiny 401K from my previous crappy secretary job.

My current employer is matching 3% (and I'm maxing that) deductions to a "simple IRA". I got no guidance about what this means except "call this guy at Morgan Stanley, everyone in the office uses him." It's up to me to decide what to do with the money, with no real advice from anyone including this guy.

My first two checks have been garnished but I haven't even been able to make up my mind where to put the money. Partly because I don't know what to do, partly because I've never trusted/understood stock investing, and it's hard to overcome that prejudice given recent events. I'm also constrained in that I want to try to stick with green or eco-friendly investing.

I'm going to start by reading every link you've posted so far, but in the meantime if you have any guidance I'd appreciate it. :(

The best thing you can do for yourself is read every link and all the basic books noted here. Investing well is really not hard at all, but it's a different world from most other things you likely do, so you can't really go into it intuitively. You don't need a financial advsior to make smart calls, but you do need to do a bit of basic reading.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ravarek posted:

I'll be starting a Roth IRA soon for retirement purposes and I want you guys to critique the portfolio I'm thinking of creating:

45% Vanguard Total Stock Market
45% Vanguard Total International Stock Market
10% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index

As you can see, it has a 90/10 equity/bond allocation. I dislike the Target Retirement funds offered by Vanguard (as well as other fund families) because they have really low international exposure. Also, I like to keep the number of funds to a low number.. I don't want a portfolio of 10 funds.

I have a question as well: What do you guys think about a High Yield bond fund in place of the Total Bond Market fund? I assume it would probably be worse over the long run.. high yield bonds seem to be more correlated with the equity market.

Like you say, high yield bonds tend to correlate with equities; Your original portfolio looks perfectly fine to me. You might consider a slice of REIT exposure as well.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ravarek posted:

How about..

40% Total Stock Market
40% Total International Stock Market
10% Total Bond Market
10% REIT Index

Should I even worry about adding commodity funds to my retirement portfolio?

This looks like a pretty solid allocation to me; simple and diverse. I wouldn't personally worry about a commodity allocation.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vehementi posted:

Is there a downside to going with a private financial advisor person (not sure what the term is) as opposed to working with someone in your bank? As far as I can see, there isn't, but you guys are more knowledgeable. I'm in Canada if that makes any difference.

You should consider reading up on some of the books mentioned in this thread and others. If investing seems complex, it's because someone (an advisor? an unknowledgable family member?) is making it seem more complicated than it really is. You really can do your own investing without paying anyone else a fee. You have more than enough time to just do the research and learn to do it on your own, it will pay dividends (both literally and figuratively).

Four Pillars of Investing is a great place to start
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Pillars-Investing-Building-Portfolio/dp/0071385290/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218161023&sr=8-1

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

SDMX posted:

This thread doesn't seem to have been playing the same kind of name game that the Stock and Analysis thread has. While that's probably because not everyone has access to the same funds, I still thinks it's worthwhile.

I just made my annual contribution to my Traditional IRA, so I've got 5K sitting around waiting to be allocated somewhere. I converted an old Fidelity 401K over, so I'm sort of stuck with Fidelity at the moment, but if any of you Vanguard Zealots are willing to sell me on some of their perks, I'm all ears.

That said, I'm still up in the air on where to put my contribution. I'm 100% FBALX at the moment because I thought it was a safe bet when I opened the 401K a year ago, didn't realize it was predominantly stocks, and have taken the 10% YTD hit on it, along with the rest of the market.

I'd like to start gearing toward small growth since I'm optimistic about the market, but I haven't felt a fund I feel that safe on. I was thinking about dropping the majority in FICDX (which is large, I know), but I'm concerned that I might have missed the whole emerging fund explosion and won't see the same kind of return on it that it's previously enjoyed.

So where's everyone else allocated? How do you feel about it so far?

This thread is about investing, the "Stocks and Analysis" thread is about speculating. If you want to get into serious investing, your allocations should be set for decades, not months. If you're interested, check out some of the book recommendations earlier in the thread to get started.

The biggest influence on your eventual net worth will be how much you can save from your profession, period. The split between how much stock and how much fixed income you have will ultimately be the biggest influence on your investment returns on that savings. After that, you can control expenses and your taxes, anything else basically comes down to speculation. Speculation is just fine, but it's a profession, investing is not.

If you're interested in investing, figure out your need and ability to shoulder risk. This leads to an allocation to stocks and an allocation to fixed income. Then it's a matter of finding the most diverse and lowest cost ways you have available to you to invest in that percentage of equities and fixed income.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 14, 2008

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

SDMX posted:

While I agree with everything above, there's only so far that advice can take a thread. In fact, it's covered in the OP:

I've got those rules set, and I've also worked out what kind of risk I'm comfortable with and how much I intend to continue to contribute as well as when I plan to retire. So now that the basics are out of the way, I'm just trying to expand on the section below that labeled:

Moreover, while speculation is a purely stock-based profession, given the inherent distribution of assets in mutual funds for the purposes of lowering risk, speculation in that category becomes a hell of a lot less of an all-encompassing timesink for profit. All I'm asking is in what funds people have been happy with, so that we can all collectively see what's getting hosed versus what isn't in our current bear market situation. I would think NOW, more than other time, would be the crucial one to do this, given that our current market has a lot more potential up than down, god willing.

Speculation is not a purely stock based profession. Speculation includes anything you can buy and sell for profit.

The basis of long term investing is basically that you don't know what is going to outperform, and things are more or less efficently priced. Our market has about the same potential up and down, in anything but a very long (15+ years) term.

In any case, to answer your question, my two primary holdings are:

VTSMX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
VFWIX - Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index

They are very nice, low cost, tax-efficent, diversified equity funds. Tax-efficency wouldn't matter as much to you in a tax deffered account, but they are perfectly good holdings even there.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

What's a good discount broker to start an IRA at?

The OP has a link, which has a link with a rundown of different brokers, but it all kind of went over my head.

I'd suggest Vanguard.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

var1ety posted:

A lot of people like Vanguard because of low fees.

When your post-tax, post-inflation real return is 2-3%, the difference between an average ER of 0.2% and 1% or even 0.5% or god forbid 2% is HUGE. Just keep this in mind.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

I have no idea what this means.

What does it mean?

Expense ratios that look so small you want to ignore them (1.5%) are, in fact, gigantic, because let's say your total real returns after taxes and inflation are something like 5%. 1.5% is a huge chunk of 5%, so even though 1.2 looks a lot like 0.2, There's a whole world of difference between a 0.2 and a 1.2 expense ratio in terms of your final results.

To attempt to stop speaking in gobbldeygook: Imagine you could choose between two pretty similar broad-based funds, one with a 0.5% ER and one with a 1.5% ER. If you invested $10k in each and each returned the same 10%, after 30 years of compounding you have:

0.5% ER = $150,132
1.5% ER = $110,884

So by reducing your ER by 1% you saved 40k in final value (about 25% of the .5ER fund's value at the end). Teeny tiny slivers of ER can mount up to huge amounts of money over time (for you or the fund managers, it's totally your choice)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

I see.

So what does that translate to in the context of trying to choose between Vanguard and Schwab for a Roth IRA?

Your initial response was to the statement "a lot of people like Vanguard because of low fees", so were you agreeing with it?

I personally use Vanguard, for one because it's so inexpensive. ETFs allow you to build a very inexpensive portfolio regardless of brokerage, these days, so it's not the hugest deal. I don't think you can go wrong choosing a low cost brokerage like Vanguard or Fidelity though.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Idiodyssey posted:

I have a question regarding my new retirement account, and since I'm not very competent in financial matters, I couldn't get a clear answer from the OP.

I'm 25 and just started a new job. This job will only last 1 year. I am required to put about 6% of my monthly income into a TIAA-CREF account. There were several different TIAA-CREF account options, ranging from high ratio of % equities/non-equities to low ratio. From what I understood, a high ratio of equities to non-equities is ideal for long-term investments, and since I'm only 25, that would seem to make the most sense. The plans were simplified to being classified as to what year you would be retiring, so I went with the highest ratio of equities to non-equities.

However, after I stop working at this job in a year, I plan on closing the account and taking the money out, as I will need it for various things (I'm getting married, moving back to New England). However, with the way the market is right now, I'm thinking a portfolio that is only meant to last 1 year should not rely so heavily of equities right now. Am I correct in thinking that? Therefore, I have been considering switching my TIAA-CREF account type to the one in which the ratio of equities to non-equities is the lowest, so that the money I'm putting into this retirement account (and is being matched by my employer) does not fluctuate, because I feel that the risk of it fluctuating downwards far outweighs any short-term gains I may have gotten if the market weren't so shaky right now.

Let me say that I know fully well I should just keep this money in a retirement account and not touch it, but unfortunately I don't have any savings and I won't be able to save much in one year to cover the expenses relating to a wedding and moving from Arkansas to Massachusetts. Any left-over money will go right back into an investment portfolio. I also realize that there are early withdrawal penalties involved. I would just like to know if switching from a retirement account with high % equities / low % non-equities to high % non-equities / low % equities would be in my best interest with the way the economy is right now if I plan on closing this account in one year.

If you need the money in a year or less, it dosen't matter if the market is good or bad, it should have 0% exposure to equities. Even in a great long term bull market you can have downturns that last years. You should be in as close to cash as you can be, which means as short-term a set of bonds as you can arrange; or a money market fund if you have it available.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Idiodyssey posted:

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. As far as I understood it, the percentage of my income directed towards this retirement account is immediately allocated into various funds and exposed to the market.

I will try to alter my account so that the majority is in money markets, but I'm not entirely sure yet just how much control I'll have over the distribution without changing the type of the account it is.

Not all funds are invested in equities. You can read their prospectus's here, or just post your list of available funds, and someone here can sort through and tell you what the best ultra-short vehicle likely is for you.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nosre posted:

There's a lot of love for VEIEX - Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund in this thread, and I'm thinking of getting into it for part of my Roth to get some international exposure. One thing that stands out though is it has a purchase and redemption fee of 0.25%. With all the (justified) talk about minimizing fees and overhead, what's the deal with that? I haven't noticed it on any of the other Vanguard funds.

Vanguard's younger funds often have a purchase fee until they bulk out, it's not 'strictly' a load since it's paid to the fund not as a fee. So if you hold long enough you theoretically make it back as people pay into the fund. You'll also sometimes see redemption fees on younger funds, or tax-managed funds. Often these go away as the fund ages and grows.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Regnevelc posted:

I do not feel like I am maximizing my value on my 401K from work. I am currently debating upping my contribution per check to 10% pre-tax.

About Me:
Current Income: 39000/yr
Personal Per Check - 6% Pre-Tax
Company Matched - 4% Pre-Tax
401K's Current Worth - Total: $3,117.10 Vested: $2,330.06 (Will be fully vested in a little under 4 years).

Current Investments in 401K:
code:
 	                Fund Name     Account Balance Current Investment % 		
  	Fixed Income 	 
  	     Stable Value Fund 	                $0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Long-Term Bond Fund 	        $0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	Asset Allocation 	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund Income 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund 2010 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund 2015 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund 2020 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund 2025 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund 2030 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund 2035 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund 2040 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund 2045 	$465.82    15.00% 	  	 
  	     Target Retirement Fund 2050 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Balanced Fund 	                $0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	Stocks 	 
  	     Enhanced Equity Index Fund 	$0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     Large Cap Core Plus Fund 	        $632.03    20.00% 	  	 
  	     Large Cap Value Fund 	        $286.88    10.00% 	  	 
  	     Large Cap Growth Fund 	        $313.58    10.00% 	  	 
  	     Global Equity Fund 	        $0.00 	   0.00% 	  	 
  	     International Equity Fund 	        $577.74    20.00% 	  	 
  	     Small Cap Core Fund 	        $163.23    5.00% 	  	 
  	     Small Cap Value Fund 	        $180.43    5.00% 	  	 
  	     Small Cap Growth Fund 	        $175.74    5.00% 	  	 
  	     ITT Stock Fund 	                $321.65    10.00% 	  	 
  	Self Directed Brokerage Account 	 
  	     Schwab Personal Choice Retirement Acct. $0.00 0.00% 	  	 
Does anyone see any obvious flaws in my allocation? My target for retirement is 2045 as noted in my allocation above.

Edit: Should I elect to have a professional manage my 401K? "The Personal Asset Manager fee is just 0.6% of your account balance per year."

If you read a few posts above you'll see why 0.6% is actually a MASSIVE fee. Frankly, just going 100% into the 2050 TR fund and ignoring it till you die will probably beat most (80%+) investors over the long run.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

KS posted:

I thought the prevailing wisdom was that the target retirement funds weren't so hot. Looking at Vanguard's, the 2045 retirement fund has 10+% of its assets in bonds. Isn't that a bit conservative? At least the expense ratio is low, and it is essentially just like putting 70+% of your money into an index fund, but I can't help thinking there are better options.

Long term investing is easy to get wrong, because 'working harder' at it usually ends up making things worse, not better, unlike the rest of your economic life. Investing is funny like that. Like 80k said, bonds are good, especially if you rebalance your ratios faithfully, which a TR fund would do for you automatically. It's not 100% optimal, but it's probably 95% optimal and it takes 0% effort, so you can spend all your time focusing on whatever it is you do well, instead of wasting your time tinkering with your investments.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

80k posted:

OK, when did Vanguard release this gem? VTWSX (Total World Stock Index)? Looks like a cap-weighted global index fund containing both US and international stocks. $3,000 minimum.

This would probably be a good default equity fund choice for those that only have enough money to open one fund.

I just discovered it about 10 seconds ago. Wonder how i missed it.

It just launched a couple months ago, and just recently (last month or so) actually purchased it's fund holdings; I think it's still in the process of aquiring it's initial assets. Nice fund though, yes!

In a tax deferred account you could just use this and a total bond market index and be set.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

80k posted:

This wouldn't be the first time this has happened. Imagine having worked hard and built up a sizeable portfolio in the mid-to-late 1960's, put it in stocks, and watch the next 15 years as your portfolio (and subsequent contributions) achieves zero nominal returns, and negative real returns?

That's why Siegel's 100 year chart of stock market returns doesn't get me excited at all. Nobody has the stomach or mental fortitude to stay the course through that kind of environment for 15-20 years, with an equity-heavy portfolio. And you can never get that time back, nor choose which decades you want your wealth accumulating years to coincide with.

It's perfectly possible that investors today will not see good results from their stocks before they retire. That's why I don't like target retirement funds, and cringe when people complain that they are too conservative (what with their measly 10% in bonds).

I truly believe that one should be prepared for the scenario you propose. Stocks are risky, even in the "long run". And if anyone thinks that the time period I selected is too pessimistic, keep in mind the time period was nonetheless taken from the most successful and prosperous stock market in history :911:. Other countries have seen much worse, and nobody knows what the future will hold.

I agree with this, though also remember that your equity holdings will be paying out dividends that entire time, so your returns aren't actually 0 over that time. (though certainly nothing to write home about)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
If anyone's interested (and has the 25k minimum), Vanguard International Explorer just opened again to non-flagship members. It's a nice mid-cap international fund that's been closed for quite awhile.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Noble Nobbler posted:

Can you fix these links to not be the random walk book

Fixed my original post.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aggro Craig posted:

I just started working this summer and am ready to max out my 2008 and 2009 roth IRAs. I don't have a matching 401k, and since I started in July and am quitting in February I have little income tax so I'm pretty sure this is the right move. I'd just like to see if I'm doing anything terribly wrong before I dive in here.

A little background, I'm 23 and will be leaving for the peace corps in March. I should have enough to max out my 2008 and 2009 IRAs.

I was thinking about going with Scottrade, the motley fool link shows they have pretty low fees. Does anybody have any other recommendations for a broker?

Here's what I was thinking for my portfolio. How does it look? And when I go to the branch office, do I just bring this in and tell them that's what I want my money in? Can I combine my 2008 and 2009 IRAs or do they need to be seperate?

VFINX 25% Vanguard 500 Index Fund
VEXMX 20% Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund
VGTSX 25% Vanguard Total International Stock Market Index
VEIEX 20% Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund
VBMFX 10% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund

Looks generally good; Why not just use Total Stock Market (VTSMX) rather than Index+Extended, you'd get the same exposure at a lower overall expense ratio.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ravarek posted:

80k:

What do you think of a 2-fund/ETF portfolio? I'm thinking VT (Vanguard World Stock ETF) and a bond ETF. I'm trying to minimize the number of funds/ETFs in my portfolio, so I won't be paying so much in transaction fees. Which bond ETF do you think I should go with?

You could also just use a TR fund, and then you just have 1!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Koirhor posted:

Does it make more send for me to open a Roth IRA and contribute the max every year towards retirement or now in the short term save that money to buy a house when the market eventually stabalizes? I just can't figure out what's best. Currently I have a 401k that I've been doing for 18 months, company matches 100% up to 6%, so that's going ok. But can't figure out what to do next. My worst fear is putting my savings into a Roth IRA and then getting laid off and not having any emergency income.

If that's your worst fear, just save/invest in taxable accounts. Sure, it's less tax efficent (maybe) in the long term, but you have the liquidity to deal with life's 'little' problems and opportunities. Ain't nothing wrong with that!

You could consider splitting the difference, and going 50/50 Roth/taxable until you get to a comfortable level of taxable savings.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZeroAX posted:

When I started my roth IRA I put all my money into Vanguard's 2050 target retirement fund. My plan was to build my own portfolio with 4 or 5 funds once I got enough money to diversify. Right now I have a little over $7,000 and have not contributed for 2009 yet. Since most of my money was put into the IRA before the market went to crap, my shares aren't worth what they were when I bought them.

Would it be wise to wait until the market rebounds to build my own portfolio? My shares were worth $18-20 when I bought them and now they are about $14. If so, should I keep investing in the target retirement fund, or put my 2009 contributions in bonds?

You can't predict the market. You're buying much more business for your buck today than last year! I'd suggest doing your reading (from OP), and staying the course.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fraternite posted:

It's been posted a million times already, but this is what I remind myself of every time the market goes up, and why I'm not buying (not to mention the number of people beginning to default on credit cards):

This is all very true, but remember that many of these adjust against the prime rate; which is basically at 0%. So it may actually IMPROVE the monthly payments for many people, at least until rates begin to climb. So it's not necessarily as bad as the graph implies.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

filo posted:

I have a bunch of money sitting in my fidelity cash reserves right now. When do I throw it into mutual funds? I see the market is down substantially today and although I won't need to retire anytime soon, I'd rather not loose a large chunk of my principle by jumping on the rollercoaster when it seems there might be a lot more ups and downs coming soon. I know this is a ridiculously open-ended question and no one can predict the future but I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

There are ALWAYS more ups and downs coming soon, that's the risk portion of equity investment. If you're not interested in volatile investments, consider bonds.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Noble Nobbler posted:

Hobologist is right about what he said, but to elaborate a bit more, your longer term bonds will be the most affected by the scenario you're describing, so what you really want is something that is more coincident (in a good way) with inflationary conditions.

variety is also correct in that you have too many funds. I'd personally ditch USO and get a broader commodity index that represents a larger portion of your portfolio. 5% in OIL is just a novelty and won't have any real affect on performance besides frustrating you during rebalancing

In my opinion, I'd suggest looking into short-term bonds rather than commodities to hedge against inflation. They at least have some sort of return, and track inflation rather well, historically speaking.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happydayz posted:

Ok, still working out my long term asset allocation. Right now I'm bullish on stocks over the long term - thinking only 10% total in bonds. Will probably re-balance after the market returns to its previous high. However for now I intend to go big on equities given that they are at historic sale prices.

I wouldn't "rebalance" by changing my allocation at any given market point. Instead (and what 'rebalancing' "really" means) go ahead pick a less agressive allocation NOW, and stick with it for the long haul (like, say, 60/40, 50/50 or whatever), and invest that way. If the market goes back to it's previous highs you'll be 70/30 or 80/20, or whatever, but if you keep automatically rebalancing, you've accomplished your goal stated above, but without the emotional component of market timing. Magic of rebalancing.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 4, 2009

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

For someone (age 27) with approx. 10k invested (through Vanguard) should I avoid the emerging markets fund? Right now I just have all of my money in the Target Retirement but was thinking of splitting it up between a few funds. I had heard the emerging markets fund was pretty good, if not a risky, but this was about a year ago. With things the way they are should I avoid this fund?

Help please.

I would suggest remaining in a target retirement fund and doing background reading (I'd start with four pillars from the OP).

Ultimately, the most important diversifier is your bond/equity split, not how much of your equities are emerging markets. Don't trouble yourself with other decisions until you understand your bond/equity exposure. It is, by far, the most important risk-level decision you will make.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

quadreb posted:

Bonds? Those sound like something for old people. My take is that if you're over 10 years from retirement, there's no call for them. I like venture capital partnerships myself.

That's fine, nothing in your terrible post invalidated anything I said. If he has the tolerance for 50, 100, 150, 200% equities, that's fine; but he still needs to come to that conclusion before doing anything, including venture capital partnerships.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happydayz posted:

how do people feel about REIT's in a long term portfolio?

Right now I'm thinking of having my asset allocation be 70% equities. I'm split between two choices for the remaining 30%.

Having the last 30% be entirely fixed income (total bond index + TSP G fund), or 20% fixed income and 10% REITS.

My problem with REITS is that I feel that they are still overvalued right now. There was a shakeout with residential real estate, but I suspect that commercial is still inflated. Also think that we have yet to reach bottom. So even though I'd like a 10% REITS for my portfolio eventually, I'm still hesitant to buy into REITS at this point. I'm especially hesitant because of the recent run-up in the price of REITS. If they were still at their low point I'd make the purchase, but I have a hard time shaking the belief that they are overvalued right now

One thing to note about REITs is that they are incredibly tax-inefficent, similar to high-yield bonds. I wouldn't consider investing in them unless I had a sizable amount to allocate to them in a tax-sheltered account (IRA/401k).

Another thing to consider is that you'll probably have a *substantial* exposure to real-estate at some point in your life without REITs, when you own a house/condo/etc.

Additionally, just owning a broad market portfolio gives you exposure to real-estate, and real-estate owning companies.

That said, there are many people that include REITs as a slice of their asset allocation in tax-sheltered accounts.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happydayz posted:

I could stash my desired 10% REIT allocation into a tax sheltered account and be fine. I'll have a large amount of my allocation in a taxable account that I'll keep in a tax efficient stock index. So the tax issues aren't a worry.

Definitely tracking the exposure to real estate that comes with home ownership. But that doesn't capture commercial real estate or even residential real estate in other markets. What I'm really attracted to with REITS is how uncorrelated they've historically been with the stock market. For whatever reason I feel like I should try get some more diversification above and beyond just equities and fixed income - even if I already have built-in diversification there caused by keeping the money in total stock market indexes and an aggregate bond index.

If you're really set on REIT exposure, I agree with 80k; take a chunk out of your equity allocation and buy a low-cost REIT fund in a tax-advantaged account.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Happydayz posted:

That's not a bad breakdown. Personally if I was holding equities I would want it to reflect the total global equities market - so it would be around 70% US domestic stocks and 30% international.

The total global market capitalization is something like 40 trillion, and the total US market capitalization is something like 20 trillion; so you'd actually want to hold something like 50/50 if you wanted to refelect the total global equities market.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ravarek posted:

Anyone have any personal recommendations for a broad-based commodity ETF?

I've used PCRDX for a few years, though DBC does have a better ER. PCRDX is a TIPS-collateralized fund, and DBC is probably a better pure play. I'm not really much of an expert on commodity funds, though.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

nelson posted:

You can lock in low rates in fixed investments or gamble that the stock market and/or other assets aren't in a bubble.

That is pretty much always true, whether rates are at 0 or 15%. Those rates are ultimately set by auction based on people's expectation of future returns. So when you're getting 5, 10 or 15% on fixed investments, it's because people expect returns/inflation/whatever to return that much more on risky investments.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

Last year I started my Roth IRA and put my initial 5k into a T. Rowe Price Target 2050 account. I'm about to make my 5k contribution for the tax year and I'm debating what I want to put it into. 10k doesn't really seem to be enough to really diversify my investments myself because of the minimums required to buy the funds. Should I look into buying another already diversified fund or should I just put another 5k into the T. Rowe Price fund for now?

Target retirement accounts are already hugely diversified internally. You should just be able to load all your money into it without issue. The 2050 fund itself holds a broadly diversified set of other funds, in a decent stock/bond ratio for someone targeting 2050 for retirement.

http://www3.troweprice.com/fb2/fbkweb/composition.do?ticker=TRRMX
http://individual.troweprice.com/staticFiles/gcFiles/pdf/phrplq1.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I guess my question was more of should I move the just over 5k from that in addition to the new 5k and try to diversify myself or continue to add to the T. Rowe 2050 until I have more available to do my own diversifying.

There's not really a compelling reason to do your own diversification unless you're talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars, and even then it's of marginal value, and you'd still be fine 100% in a TR fund, and even then it's more for personal control over rebalancing, and other marginal activities like tax-loss harvesting, than additional diversification.

You're completely and utterly diversified even though you own only a single fund.

Successful investing is incredibly boring, seek thrill elsewhere.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 10, 2012