Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

polyfractal posted:

Any recommendations for index funds in a non-tax advantaged account? I'm on target to max out my personal Roth this year, which is invested in a Vanguard Target Retirement fund that is stock heavy (I'm 24). Should I just invest in the same (or similar) TR funds for my non-tax advantaged account? Or would it be better to pick a portfolio of more specialized funds so I can control the distrbution?

This is money that I may use before I retire (e.g. house, wedding, etc), but don't have plans with it for at least 4+ years. I don't mind it being riskier. Considering how all of Europe is dive-bombing, am I crazy to think this is a great time to invest some money in foreign-heavy funds and just ride out the implosion?

Low-cost stock index funds are generally quite tax-efficient, while bond funds aren't. The easiest way to balance it is to use a pure stock fund in your taxable account and make your tax-advantaged accounts slightly more bond-heavy, to keep your total portfolio where you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

polyfractal posted:

So this is an entirely theoretical exercise just because I'm curious, but what (if anything) should you do different in your long-term retirement accounts if you suddenly had a million dollars?

Is the investing strategy the same? Put your money into total-market, low fee index funds? Or are there new considerations when you have large amounts of capital to work with?

As far as what sort of instruments you use, it's pretty much the same, lower cost indexing is just generally the best for passive investing, even for pretty hefty sums. The biggest difference is your need to take risk, so you probably end up with a somewhat more conservative allocation.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuschia tude posted:

Eh. At $1M in 2012 dollars, you already have enough to retire comfortably. Any extra beyond that amount might as well go into riskier investments with higher potential returns. Investing in a local business plan, say.

$1m would only really throw off something like $30k of inflation adjusted returns per year. So while you could live off of it, it wouldn't really be a comfortable retirement.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

EtaBetaPi posted:

Assuming you're 60 when you retire, and you think you'll live to 110, you can also draw down the principle by 20k a year. You can't take it with you.

Safe withdraw rates typically include principal draw-down over 30ish years. They're still only 3-5%. You have to grow your balance by inflation (3%, say) just to keep up, so 3-5% withdraw is 6-8% nominal growth.

If you've got social security and/or a pension, sure 30k a year will make your retirement livable; but it's not like you're going to retire at 25 on a million dollars, unless you have a very low standard of living. (If you don't mind a 30k standard of living, then sure, retirement ahoy!)

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=95495

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

JimTheSarcastic posted:

Hey gang, I have some probably fairly basic questions about my Traditional IRA vs. my Roth IRA. I want to make sure my understanding is correct.

So, as I understand it, the only difference between traditional and Roth IRA is that with the traditional you initially save yourself the taxes on (up to) $5k but pay taxes on the appreciation when you withdraw it--presumably after several decades of appreciation by the time I hit retirement. Contributions into the Roth, on the other hand, are taxed initially, but not once you withdraw the money--again, after hopefully appreciating significantly over the years.

If my understanding is correct (is it?), and with tax rates as low as they are right now (and probably lower than they will be 40 years from now), is there any reason at all to go with a traditional IRA over the Roth?

Follow up: My traditional IRA is currently worth about $26k, and my Roth IRA is about $6k. Is there any way to get my traditional IRA funds into my Roth? I presume there'd be taxes paid on something, but is it feasible, and does it make sense?

I'm still looking into other investment accounts as well (not necessarily just retirement and tax shelters), and I definitely appreciate the expertise in this thread--and all for a one-time fee of $10!

If you expect your tax bracket at retirement to be higher, and you're below the income limits, then a Roth is better. One thing to consider, that might not be obvious, is that even if the overall tax bracket structure is higher in the future, you may not have or need the same income during retirement as you do during your earning years, so your tax bracket may be lower for that reason.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shrinkage posted:

Yeah that's what I'm looking for.

99% of JNK's bonds are rated below BBB, but that kind of yield sure do tempts.

How about VCIT

e: I guess the yield is lower, obviously. So not quite what you're looking for.

e: EMB is an interesting take on your goal. (expense ratios suck though)

e: Really, you're probably better off mixing an AAA and a junk/high yield fund to get the risk you want. (or just replace high yield with a portion of equities, since high yield corporates tend to be pretty highly correlated with equities)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 20, 2012

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

turbulents posted:

If I'm at the point where I could max my 401k (but no employer match), how do I evaluate whether the 401k investment options are worthwhile or if I'm better off taking my money elsewhere? For what it's worth, I don't mind being risky with my money but I also don't do a whole lot of research and thus far just have money in a Vanguard Target Retirement account and an index fund.

Mostly expense ratios. If you've got a vanguard TR fund available in one of them, I'd max that account first.

In general I'd max the account that had the least expensive funds available to me first.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spitball Trough posted:

Yeah, that's on my Amazon wish list.

One real basic one that I'm not 100% clear on-- if you buy a bond fund, will you receive a specific dividend payment, or will the interest from the bonds just be reflected in the price of the fund?

Depends on the fund, but most pay dividends on some basis. (Monthly, Quarterly, etc)

Read the prospectus for any particular fund.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dreadite posted:

Is it common or recommended for part of an investment strategy to include purchasing undeveloped residential-zoned land with a mortgage?

I understand you'd be losing money on interest, but how reasonable would it be to add land to a portfolio after doing all the normal steps, ie maxing your 401k to employer match, maxing your Roth, having an emergency fund, etc etc.

Most people would suggest against real estate because it's very un-diversified.

That said, a lot of successful people use real estate to lever their portfolio.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

flyboi posted:

So I max out my Roth each year and I'm coming across a good 10-20k in the next few months and I'm not sure what to do with it. The only retirement I save is Roth because our company does not do 401k. I'm going to have another 20k-ish each coming year to invest and I'm at a loss.

Originally I was saving up for a house, but with my relationship that isn't ever going to happen so I'd rather put this money somewhere profitable rather than spend it all on frivolous crap.

That being said, I know *NOTHING* about investing for the future past "diversify so you don't get burned."

What would be a good starting point or who would be some company I can talk to about managing investments to make sure I don't lose 60k+ over time by not knowing wtf I'm doing?

Fundamentals
The Four Pillars of Investing
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Pillars-...o/dp/0071385290

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you want literally no volatility you want a money market fund. However, you are going to lose money to inflation in such a low risk vehicle.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Weinertron posted:

I'm looking to open a taxable investment account, as I'm 22 and might want or need this money when I'm 40-50. This is savings beyond standard retirement savings, and my IRA and 401k are both in Vanguard Target Retirement funds.

I know that the Vanguard TR funds are very heavily weighted towards US equities, so the last thing I need is more domestic equities. I don't know much about personal investing, and don't want it to be a huge chore to actively manage this stuff, so I'm looking for an index fund.

Where should I be looking to diversify to if the majority of my retirement savings are in US equities? I'm incredibly risk-insensitive right now, and anything that I toss into this fund will be in there for at least 10 years before I even think about taking any out. I like the look of the Vanguard Admiral shares quite a bit as a way to keep expenses as low as possible, both on putting money in and expense ratio.

The ones that catch my eye are VTIAX, VTMGX, VWILX, and VFWAX but I'm having a very hard time telling the difference between these. Should I be looking at things other than equities given my situation?

If what you want is global diversification, it's going to be hard to go wrong with VFWAX. I wouldn't (don't) go higher than global market weighting of US vs ex-US, personally.

I personally mix in a little VFSVX, but it honestly won't make a very big difference. If anything, it will cost, since it's ER is a fraction higher than VFWAX.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

bam thwok posted:

This is right. Though be careful; the follow-up question to the account type will ask you to select what type of investments you are going to put in the account. If you select mutual funds, you will not be able to use that account to buy other asset types like stocks, ETFs, etc. I found this out the hard way, and have been too lazy to deal with it.

You just open up a brokerage account if you want to trade ETFs/etc. Having multiple accounts is perfectly painless. I have a taxable mutual fund account, a taxable brokerage account, a roth IRA and a traditional IRA, all with Vanguard. It's perfectly easy to manage them all from the single portfolio view.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

what son what posted:

Let's say you came into $150,000 as a low wage earner. What would you guys recommend as far as retirement planning? Just make a long-term portfolio consisting of a basket of vanguard ETFs with a % into bonds ?

Full disclosure: All the money I managed to save so far, due to a low cost lifestyle, was invested in the stock market. I was really just gambling, put all my money into single stocks and ended up losing some capital (still own about 9000 shares of LYG as my only 'investment' right now). As far as retirement and the future goes, not sure I really care about where I'm at in 30 years or whether I'll even be alive. Paying it forward and leaving money to someone else is not something I want to do. On the other hand, if there's one thing I learned about spending money, it's that it doesn't make me happy, just more comfortable.. I don't know what to do. I've been thinking about a career change, maybe I could use this money to get an education.

I'd put it in a money market account and spend $3 on a used Four Pillars of investing, then read it!

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Pillars-Investing-Building-Portfolio/dp/0071385290

(Then I'd split it into a liquid emergency fund of 6ish months expenses and a target retirement fund, unless I had a drat good reason to do otherwise; or use it to invest in my own education/career)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
The main issue is that there's a false parity here about investing in your own business [whether it's running a subway or actively investing in companies (a business)], and passive investing when you have a pile of cash that you don't have time, desire or ability to tend.

When your cash needs to be passively invested, the most statistically successful way is broadly diversified indexing.

If you want to invest in your own active business, and you can make money that way, good on you, you're typically going to make much more than passive returns if you're successful.

That doesn't mean active investment > passive, indexed investment. It means they're entirely different things.

Passively investing in someone else's active fund (business) is a pretty good way to make *them* money. :)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 1, 2012

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

nebby posted:

This, to me, is a myth. You can look at the fundamentals of companies to decide if, on par, they are *probably* reasonably priced. You can look at the yield curves, macroeconomic trends, and fed minutes to decide if there is a better than even chance interest rates are due to go up. If your plumber is buying ZNGA, maybe it's time to pull back a bit on stocks. If things are looking particularly optimistic and you're sitting on 1.5% yielding 30-year treasuries, maybe you should move into shorter-term bonds.

What matters is that you should be *conscious* of these things so that if something really plainly obviously bad is happening with regards to your investments, you can react in an intelligent way. What matters is you understand that unless you are diversifying across many asset classes and return drivers, your entire portfolio is going to head in the same direction in certain conditions. Both of these assumptions go directly against the "I don't understand basic economics so I am going to just buy and hold the entire U.S. market" strategy of investing that is common these days.

It's not that you can't make money this way, people do. Many fund managers can beat the market consistently; but not by more than their fees, on average.

If you can do it with your own money, great; but it's not passive investing. It's a job, you're spending hours to earn additional money. It's not better than passive investing, it's a way to spend hours for money.

If someone has comparative advantage in their own non-financial career vs how much they could net over the market with hours put into it, they're better off just picking a risk on their passive investments and spending 0 hours on it, and earning money with their hours in at a higher rate.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

nebby posted:

Third, allocate the other part of your portfolio to be reallocated each month based upon your assessment (with the help of a trusted financial advisor) of market conditions. No, there are no guarantees.

FYI, people who strategically modify their investments do often have lower volatility!

...because they take less risk by not being in the market for as long as people who don't rotate holdings...

...so their long term ER actually ends up lower in the aggregate. Which you can accomplish by just holding a higher percentage of fixed income and not wasting your time every month.

I don't appreciate you painting buy and holders as one-topic zombies. Most of the buy and holders I know aren't buy and holders because they read one book and decided it was the one true way. Most of them (including me) have read everything under the sun, started at your position, because more work equals more reward in the work world (where you got your money to invest in the first place). So it seems like that should apply to your investments, duh, right? However, most of them realized over time (and often severe under-performance compared to the market over many years) that it's a lot of wasted energy that gains you little or nothing over the long term, and you're actually better off financially focusing your hours on what you do, not managing your 'passive' investments.

Certainly everyone should read everything you can on the topic, no-one's arguing otherwise.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

gtkor posted:

For the Vanguard people here, I'm pretty happy with most of my portfolio balance right now (minus it being a little light in international equity and needing more large cap), but I'd like to start making some changes.

The biggest issue I have monthly right now is that I am overpaying more than I should be because I've spread out over too many investor funds and not enough admiral. I have not really gotten into too many ETF's at this point, mostly because I do not really see myself trading very much at this point.

What's the better move to make here; a) purchase a few more investor funds to get my allocation where I want it, b) add to a few of the investor funds I have and get them over admiral, c)shift some of the smaller investor funds into Admiral's.

It depends; for example, if you have any smaller funds that have a loss, it could be a good opportunity to tax-loss harvest them, and roll those funds into a simpler portfolio of fewer funds; but if you have gains, you're going to owe taxes on those gains.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

My money's in Vanguard now, and all is well except for one thing: Being new to Vanguard, I can't figure out how to change my portfolio. This is how it's set up right now, and what my 'target' allocation is after taking a quick quiz by them:

I did that a few days ago. How do I change my portfolio to match that (or any other distribution, if that one is stupid)?

It looks like you have everything in a money-market fund.

You have to buy other stock and bond funds to get to your target allocation. Click "accounts and activity" under "my portfolio", and there will be a box like "portfolio of cornholio" which will only have money in a money market fund (by the looks of it). You'll need to exchange from the money market fund into other stock and bond funds to meet whatever asset allocation you want to achieve.

From that screen you can exchange into funds to meet your needs, or you can go to the "Buy and Sell" tab along the top.

Do you have an idea what funds you're trying to buy? Just the target retirement 2025 fund is about 80/30 at this point...

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

Aah, I found it.

Any recommendations based on my above 'target' distribution?

100% target retirement 2025 would pretty much meet your distribution, assuming that's the distribution you want. I'm going to say that sounds like a pretty big assumption.

If you wanted to do it with individual funds, you'd want something like:
70% Total World (VTWSX)
30% Total Bond Market (VBTLX)

If this is a taxable account, though, just holding total bond market or a TR account (because it has taxable bond funds) can be fairly tax inefficient.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

I'll do that for now and see if I'm OK with it after a couple of weeks. I really don't want to micromanage it but I don't want to make any bonehead mistakes either.

I mean if you're not sure what you want to do, just leave it in a money market and keep reading till you feel comfortable. There's no rush to get it all invested.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Droo posted:

Someone tried to employ this strategy (or a similar one) on the Boglehead forum and he happened to start in 2007. You can go find the thread there and read through it still - he provided net worth updates during the crash.

I think it eventually got so bad he was margin called out of everything and he was forced to realize a ~200k loss, and didn't get any of the upside he should have in 2009 because he didn't have the capital to stay invested.

Yeah, it was "market timer", here's his somewhat goony megathread:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5934

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

As usual, nowhere near an expert, but wouldn't the advice from the Lifecycle investment folks not to leverage beyond 2:1 and not to resort to risky borrowing have prevented that market timer guy from losing everything? I didn't read the whole thread but it seems that he was funding his investments with credit cards and other consumer debt and buying on margin, rather than using an option account that would have avoided the risk of a margin call. It also seems that he was much more heavily leveraged than recommended, starting from 2:1 and going up from there rather than treating it as a ceiling. Skipping directly to the part of their interview that talks about this stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fyjqNIArI0&t=103s

Not that I'm convinced or anything, but what are thoughts on a more conservative implementation of this idea, using option accounts and lower leverage ratios?

I just don't pay off my low-rate mortgage and invest what I would otherwise spend paying off the mortgage in the stock market. Seems like that provides enough leverage for most youngsters without getting fancy and risking any sort of margin call.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Adama posted:

I hope hypothetical questions are cool here. How much money would it take to have it earn you $100K a year in relative security? Into retirement age, sure, but lets say you won the lottery at 35, how large would the winnings have to be to make that $100K for the next 60 years?

As a young guy it would cost you something like 3 million to buy an inflation-protected 100k a year annuity.

I'd ballpark 3-6 million if you were personally investing it, depending on how much risk you wanted to shoulder, and how much inflation you wanted to protect against.

You could do it with less by investing more aggressively, but the more risk you take, the more risk you shoulder of zeroing out at some point.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm completely new to investing and need some advice. My financial situation is somewhat unique and I can't really afford a full service broker or advisor, but I want to start contributing to some long term investments. Disclaimer: my knowledge is limited to spending a week or so combing heavily through Investopedia, so forgive me for any naive statements.

I make roughly $37k US annually, with a fluctuating monthly income due to the nature of my work. I'm 26, and I've managed to save about $10k since I finished college that is currently just sitting in a savings acct. I don't have access to a 401(k) option right now, though that may change soon. Am I best off opening a Roth IRA? If it matters, I do anticipate my income to increase pretty steadily as I enter my mid 30s.

Additionally, if I open an IRA and meet my max contribution for this year, how should I invest the rest? I'm willing to take on long term growth investments with some risk involved, but I don't have the time or experience to actively manage investments for the time being.

One final consideration: my fiancée is entitled to a $100k inheritance. We just found this out and aren't certain what sort of fund if any the money is in, or if there are any restrictions to her access, but assuming it's free for her use, what would be a good way to handle this sum? Again, long term growth with up to moderate risk would be pretty acceptable. We aren't planning to buy a house or anything, but would like to leave some of our funds accessible in 5-10 years, possibly for private investing.

I guess all this boils down to the question, "where do I start?"

Start reading some of the books and links in the OP.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Giant Squid posted:

I have trouble knowing where to get started with investment.

I have about $10,000 in the bank, and that's everything I've got to my name. I have absolutely no debt of any kind. I'm single, but may very well be married in a couple of years. I'm able to save about a quarter of my net pay every month, and I'd like to invest the money now that I'm done rebuilding my emergency fund. I'm a frugal person and saving has always come easily to me, but I have no idea what to do with money aside from sticking it in the bank.

As for my goals, in the long term I'd like to save for retirement. I'm a teacher, so I have a retirement plan with my state, but I have no faith that it will continue to be healthy years down the line and I want to plan to take care of myself like everyone else. In the short term, I'm looking to buy a house within the next two years or so.

I really need to educate myself on investing. It's not just that I don't know which investment options are right for me, it's that I don't understand how to make those judgments or even how to put my money into any of them.

What should I do to get started, and how does my goal of buying a house in a relatively short amount of time affect my larger goal of saving for retirement?

There's lots of good books in the OP; I'd start with Four Pillars of Investing. For now, just let it sit in cash while you educate yourself. Savings rate will dwarf investment returns for a good long time in your position, there's nothing really to be lost by just starting to educate yourself, and invest when you know what you want to do.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
5-8.5% is banditry in this environment; especially for non-dischargeable(?) student loans. I dunno how they get away with that. I'd pay the gently caress out of at least the 7%+ loans.

There's some advantage to IRAs outside of just taxes, like sometimes being sheltered in the case of bankruptcy/lawsuit, and it's tax-advantaged space you can never get back; so there's certainly a respectable argument for making the maximum possible contribution to tax-deferred retirement accounts before paying off the loans.

I think you're going to be in good shape either way; either way you're doing a ridiculously good job of building net worth, and the the long-term differences in outcome between the two aren't really knowable, since it depends a lot on market returns on your retirement accounts, tax rates when you retire, if you get sued, etc; so I'd say just go with whatever makes you feel happiest, because it's hard to call financially, in my opinion.

I'd say, given your cash-flow, to also save up a 6-to-12-months-of-expenses buffer of cash-like reserves (or other reasonably liquid taxable investments, depending on your risk tolerance) in addition to these options. It will take the edge off of all of life's little (financial) troubles in a way that's hard to put a value on.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 12, 2012

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I always kind of wonder about looking at long histories of indexes, because of course the member stocks of those indexes get changed over time. Does that affect the validity of analysis?

From the perspective of someone who has only held the S&P 500 my feeling is that it doesn't. But from the perspective of an individual stock-buyer, I feel it's wildly misleading, because of course the indexes drop the companies that go bust and pick up the new long-term winners to replace them, so they give a rosier picture than the true answer to "how does the average stock do in the long term".

Yes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

Nonetheless, most stock price graphs also don't consider 'total returns', which includes the returns if you re-invest dividends. They also are often in nominal, not 'real' (after inflation), terms. So mostly the graphs are completely pointless, since real growth is the important growth, and dividends are a big part of stock returns.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 4, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, certainly.

For example, from http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/historical/djia1900.html

From this image we can see that the DJIA did not recover to the point of its peak in 1929, until the mid-1950s. A five-year period beginning from any time in 1928 or early 1929 would be a massive loss.

We can also see several net-loss over 5 year periods between 1966 and 1984.

You may also be interested in an inflation-adjusted graph, such as this one from http://observationsandnotes.blogspot.com/2011/03/stock-market-100-year-inflation-history.html:

Here we can see real returns, and that there are many lengthy periods throughout the last century with net-negative returns after inflation.

They need to include dividend re-investment to be really representative, and these don't, as far as I can tell.

e:

Unormal fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 13, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kudaros posted:

Not sure if this should be in Newbie thread or not.

I am 26 and married (also 26). I am a doctoral student with a master's in Physics pursuing a PhD in Electrical Engineering (same field of research, actually - so same industries would apply - semiconductors, optics, and a host of other related things). I was awarded a Fellowship which increases my pay a bit. I am awaiting word on another fellowship.

Graduate school is an enormous opportunity cost in terms of pay. When I am finished, I may or may not find a job in academia, and I may or may not end up underemployed in industry.

In any case, my father has offered to get me started in a Roth IRA done through, say Scottrade (what he uses).

I have minor revolving credit card debt, my wife has $12,000 remaining in student loans and she makes about 55k a year. I will likely make 22k starting in August. At the moment I make 18k (Stay out of school, folks!).

It is difficult to foretell the future, but I feel like I could accept some level of risk giving that I should be at least somewhat competitive in the job market some years down the road.

My father is a very reliable and generous person - we have a solid relationship and no history of him 'taking advantage' of us. He has been broke all of his life until the last 8-10 years or so, but still spends almost nothing. The condition of his offer is that he may ask me to pay him the principal back (minus taxes) after I'm settled with a PhD and a job. The idea is that I at least have an account sitting there, bypassing the 'difficult-to-save-because-you-made-a-poor-life-choice' stage.

Any advice or recommendations? I would like to invest conservatively from this pool of money. Or would it be reasonable to take risks on a small portion?

e: misread

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

polyfractal posted:

Curious about this question, because I'm in the same position. New job with 401k...but none of the funds look overly great to my untrained eye. Not a single fund under 1%, which seems outrageous compared to the funds I have in my Vanguard account.

Should I just make a list of the funds that have my desired asset balance and then flip a coin?

You could use your 401k for whatever portion of your allocation that is the most tax-inefficient, like bonds/REITs.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Catsoup posted:

Well he is fee-based, 0.75% of my total wealth every year. I was just wondering if he was going to make money on the side just between him and Minnesota Life.

Could you explain how/why he would make money of this?

%0.75 is a massive expense, he's fleecing you. I recommend a fee-only adviser, or just reading the books in the OP and rolling your own. Solid investing is not that hard, and certainly not worth %0.75.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Overture posted:

As of this coming Monday I'll be receiving $140,000 (after taxes) due to land being sold within a family land partnership. I'm not sure what to do with this money for many reasons, but the most important is that I am not in a position where this sale is in any way beneficial to my day to day happiness. I see this as a good thing, as many people in my family will likely spend their own portions of the sale on things they do not need and subsequently be broke within the year, but it doesn't change the fact that I know nothing about long term investments and I need advice.

Facts:
- I'm 29, male, healthy, happy, rent a 1 bedroom in San Francisco with my significant other, and life is generally very good
- I have zero debt
- I own a business and make a salary which covers everything I need to live and be happy (meaning I don't think about money, though I don't have a surplus either)
- I don't have a savings account, just the checking, which is at any given time hovering around $3,500 after rent/bills
- I already travel quite a bit with much more already planned for the future (I see a lot of people who come into a large sum of money who instantly decide to drop everything and go travel)
- Every one of these bullets thus far has started with "I", which makes me sound like a self-centered jackass. I swear I'm not a self-centered jackass, but for the purpose of this post I'm sticking to the facts!
- Only 1/8th of the aforementioned land has now been sold. There is quite a bit more on the market (though there is no telling when or if it will ever sell), so this could happen again in the future (with the current value of my personal portion of the land being right around 1m total, including the 140k I receive on Monday). Oh and keeping or selling the land is not my decision as I'm not a general partner (there are around 40 of us in the partnership), and it's already been decided to sell around 75% of the land.

My question is, if you put yourself in my shoes with the above information, what would you do with the 140k? While I don't really think about money day to day, I have absolutely no plans for retirement, nor have I put any effort into the matter. This seems like the perfect opportunity to do so. I will be talking to a few different financial advisors, trusted family & friends, and colleagues who have been in this situation, but I'd like to hear other opinions first. I've of course been doing my own research as well, but I'm trying to keep an open mind here.

I would put the 140k in a money market account and spend a couple hundred on books from the OP and start-a-readin'.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mouse Cadet posted:

30 years old.
I have $130,000 in cash that needs to be invested.
Another $200,000 is in a low risk portfolio which I'm content with and not going to touch.
I'd like to invest the $130,000 in medium risk investments for the next year or two then move it to lower risk things and at some point make a down payment on a house.

Anything but very low-risk investments aren't appropriate for a one-to-two year horizon. If you need the money in a year or two, just stick it in a CD or equivalent. If you want more risk, I'd suggest investing your long-term portfolio in a slightly more aggressive fashion, not risking the money you know you need in one or two years.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

If you want to roll the dice, put the 50k in money market funds or a savings with high interest (which is low these days). That solidifies the 50k hard with low risk. Take 70% of the 80k and put it inthe vanguard admiral total stock fund. The other goes in the vanguard admiral total international stock fund. This has a long term track record of doing well. The short term is a bit more random.

Personally, I'd put 50k for the house payment in a money market fund, then I'd take $79,980 of the remaining 80k and put it in a money market fund; and then $20 and buy a copy of four-pillars, read it, and figure out a long term asset allocation that meets my risk profile. (optional: buy and read even more books) Then I'd take the $279980 I have outside of my house down-payment, take out an amount that would cover 3-12 months of expenses, put that in a very liquid form as an emergency fund, and then invest the remaining money based on my newly formed asset allocation.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 31, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just got a ton of money from the VA due to disability (100% and backpay) and I really don't have any idea what to do with it.

Don't be in a rush to do anything. Park it all in a savings or money market account and start buying some books from the OP. Once you know what an 'asset allocation' is, you can start considering doing stuff with your money; but you should probably wait and keep reading, even then. There's no rush, investing is a very long marathon, not a sprint.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ok, I signed up at Vanguard and threw $10,000 in it. It will take a while for the money to post yet. This initial investment is for retirement so I'm planning on getting a mutual fund. It recommended me the Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth Fund (VASGX) according to the risk assessment thing. Should I stick with this one fund and just never touch it?

I plan on doing more in the future with another set of investment money. I just want this one to be a safe, long term investment.

Also sorry for being so uneducated about this. I just decided to say "gently caress it" and jump in or else I would end up never doing anything.

Invest $20 in http://www.amazon.com/The-Four-Pillars-Investing-Portfolio/dp/0071747052

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sorry for all of the dumb questions but my money already posted today. Do you guys recommend I throw the whole $10,000 into that one VASGX fund, or should I get some others just in case?

Edit- Turns out that I truly am an idiot. I tried purchasing $8000 of the VASGX and accidentally bought $8000 MORE of the money market fund. :saddowns:

I eventually got it straightened out and bought the $8000 of the VASGX, but now I have another $8000 coming in to invest with. I guess I'll take that extra money and invest in some other riskier fund. Any ideas of where else to put this extra money in a shorter term fund for someone who is borderline retarded?

Please stop putting your money any place other than your money market fund and educate yourself. :D

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

I just thought the money market fund was a holding place, sort of like a savings accout, where I use that money to invest in mutual funds, stocks, etc.

You are correct, it is, and that makes it the perfect place for all of your money until you have an actual plan in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

bathhouse posted:

GWPAX has been at $12.44 since late Friday and hasn't changed. Is this just a technical glitch?

Really need to drop this fund. Sorry for the :downs: question.

Non-etf mutual fund prices typically update only at some point after the end of each trading day, so you're just still seeing Friday's closing price.