Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
This is a question about a New Zealand savings fund, but it deals with overseas investment and fees.

NZ has a government scheme called Kiwisaver, a brief rundown is as follows:

* a $1,000 tax-free kick-start
* a member tax credit of up to $1,042.86 per year
* subsidised scheme fees, ($40 a year) and
* a compulsory contribution from your employer. (4%)

I'm considering going with the scheme that's run by my bank, ASB, and they have a number of options available, ranging from conservative to craps. Being 24 I'm looking to go the high-risk route (at least until I start hitting 50).

As I was looking, I noticed they offered a 'Global Sustainability Fund', which looks like it follows Al Gores Generation Investment Management. Being a bleeding heart liberal who impotently shakes my fist at the military-industrial complex, this seems an attractive option.

However, check out these comparison pages:
http://www.asb.co.nz/kiwisaver/ASBScheme/compare-funds.html <-Basic schemes
http://www.asb.co.nz/kiwisaver/firstChoiceScheme/compare-funds.html <- Active/Index schemes, including the sustainable one.

The investment management fee for the GSF is 1.5%, just about 5 times higher than the others...

so,
1) Is Generation Investment Fund a worthwhile, reasonably competitive and competent group, or just a gimmick?
2) Should I baulk at those fees and go with one of the cheaper options? I get $40 a year from the government to help pay those fees off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

NZAmoeba posted:

This is a question about a New Zealand savings fund, but it deals with overseas investment and fees.

NZ has a government scheme called Kiwisaver, a brief rundown is as follows:

* a $1,000 tax-free kick-start
* a member tax credit of up to $1,042.86 per year
* subsidised scheme fees, ($40 a year) and
* a compulsory contribution from your employer. (4%)

I'm considering going with the scheme that's run by my bank, ASB, and they have a number of options available, ranging from conservative to craps. Being 24 I'm looking to go the high-risk route (at least until I start hitting 50).

As I was looking, I noticed they offered a 'Global Sustainability Fund', which looks like it follows Al Gores Generation Investment Management. Being a bleeding heart liberal who impotently shakes my fist at the military-industrial complex, this seems an attractive option.

However, check out these comparison pages:
http://www.asb.co.nz/kiwisaver/ASBScheme/compare-funds.html <-Basic schemes
http://www.asb.co.nz/kiwisaver/firstChoiceScheme/compare-funds.html <- Active/Index schemes, including the sustainable one.

The investment management fee for the GSF is 1.5%, just about 5 times higher than the others...

so,
1) Is Generation Investment Fund a worthwhile, reasonably competitive and competent group, or just a gimmick?
2) Should I baulk at those fees and go with one of the cheaper options? I get $40 a year from the government to help pay those fees off.

Bumping to see if there are any answers to this, otherwise I'll probably sign up in a couple days and see how it goes after a year, transferring doesn't appear to be much of an issue.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Regnevelc posted:

I am thinking of pulling out of some stocks in my 401K and investing more in mutuals. What do you all think about this? Right now I am about 80% in stocks and 20% in mutuals. I was thinking of moving to a 60/40 split due to the current market.

Edit: I just bumped my contributions to PreTax 8% from PreTax 6%.

I'm hardly an expert, but selling off your shares while they're low, only to buy them back at some later date when they're high again isn't how you're supposed to do this.

Stocks are on sale right now, buy more of them for the eventual rebound (even if it takes years). If they never rebound, then we'll probably be living in a post apocalyptic hell-hole, in which case you will have bigger problems than your 401k.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Harminoff posted:

I've never overdrafted, buy even if I did they autotake the money from my savings, no charge. The account says it doesn't need to keep a minimum balance at all, just acts like a savings account.

The rate seems really good, but with not being able to deposit, won't it take a very very long time to see any profit?

actually, I found this.

If your Visa Debit card purchase is subsequently returned, cancelled or reversed, the corresponding Change
Up Savings transfer will remain in your Change Up Savings account.
There is no service charge for this account.
Dividends are calculated on daily balance and compounded and credited to your account quarterly.
The dividend rate and annual percentage yield may change at our discretion.

Account Limitations. No deposits are permitted to the Change Up Savings account. Only Change Up
transfers are allowed into this account.

I guess ultimately it sounds like it's just something to get you to use your visa debit more, thus getting visa it's commissions. But hey if there's no restrictions on withdrawals then go nuts.

I have a hard time imagining how you'd get a substantial balance in there though, even if you said "I get a dollar every time I use the card" do you really use the card that often in a week? On the other hand Visa likes it's promotions so may offer other ways to increase the balance in the future but of course there's no guarantee that'll happen.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Internet Meme posted:

He says that I should be putting away money despite this, because of the way that interest compounds.

Wouldn't loan interest compound the exact same way that investment interest compounds?