Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Is there a good automated tool out there to track your portfolio? I use Mint.com for my personal finance, but it mega sucks for anything related to investments (still shows funds I've sold years ago, performance profile doesn't match Vanguard.com's, etc etc).

I know there are a plethora of tools out there where I could manually enter my investments, but is there anything out there that could pull in my Vanguard profile and run with it? I'm sure Quicken does this pretty well, but I would rather have something web-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Alereon posted:

I use Google Finance, but I'm not sure if there's something better out there. It does support importing from exported data files.

Yeah, that's probably the way to go until Mint gets their poo poo together. Still will have to manually update it for my monthly contributions, but whatever.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Thought I'd follow up on my search for online-based automated investment tracking tools.

I discovered that wikinvest.com launched an investment tracker - sigfig.com - that is absolutely everything I was looking for: auto-synchronizes investments with my brokerage account(Vanguard in my case), excellent analysis tools, widely supported on mobile platforms, and isn't Mint.com. I highly recommend anyone looking for the same thing to check it out.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Guinness posted:

I too feel a little uncomfortable giving all my brokerage accounts' credentials to a no-name third party tool. It's too bad that Mint's investment tracker SUCKS. I've even gone through and tried to manually adjust all of my cost basis info and it still has goofy gain/loss numbers that I don't know how the heck it is coming up with. And it still shows securities that I sold off more than a year ago.

I use Mint for everything else, but man their investment tool is worse than useless, it's straight up wrong and misleading.

Yeah, Mint's lovely investment tracker is why I started looking elsewhere.

I've had some exposure to financial software engineering in my career, so if you're interested in technical crap, let me give you the high-level version of why I don't worry about it at all:

-Account info and all investment data is encrypted with 128-bit or 256-bit AES security. This means that there is no computer or organized network of computers in existence that could brute force decrypt your information within our lifetimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute_force_attack#Theoretical_limits

-Your password is the "key" to decrypt this information. When you type in your password, it too is encrypted, sent to their servers, where it is decrypted, and used to decrypt your account and financial info. Your password is not stored on their servers, and is never available to a human being. All of this is happening over SSL (uses the same 256-bit AES security), which means that it is nearly impossible for anyone to intercept this process, and even if they did, they couldn't do anything with the info being transmitted.

There are really only two security holes in this setup, both of which would be your own drat fault, and only one would be malicious:

-If you use lame passwords, reuse passwords across sites, or otherwise get your password leaked, someone else could obviously sign in and look at your stuff. They still couldn't move money, or find any personal information to help steal your identity, but they would know your financial situation and that might help them identify you as a worthwhile target.

-At the bank I was working at, the key to decrypt your password is randomly computer-generated at the software's deployment and is never available to a human being. This includes the most senior personnel and developers at the company. This is industry-standard, and I am sure SigFig and Mint.com work the same way. If you were to let your account information leak to someone, and that person turned out to be an insanely talented hacker that somehow gained root access to SigFig/Mint's servers, and were able to navigate freely undetected for long periods of time in order to identify potential decryption keys among thousands (millions?) of compiled values, then they could potentially unlock your account information and access your accounts directly. I am not losing any sleep over this ever happening to anyone, much less myself.

Anyways, I totally respect the 'better safe than sorry' attitude, but that's why I and a lot of other people ain't skeered.

SuperCaptainJ fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 20, 2012

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

flowinprose posted:

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make with all this is that having a financial tracker like Mint or Sigfig isn't really going to do much to compromise your information anymore than it is already (and it probably is).

Exactly.

"Harry" posted:

Bank information gets stolen nearly constantly, and has been even before the internet existed. Not exactly sure what you're talking about.

I'm talking about the detailed explanation I made of the only 2 entry points that are theoretically possible to access your account information. My point isn't that your info is 100% safe, it's that it isn't any less safe than it was before if you use these services.