Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

I have experience in that I have been keeping my Roth IRA in USSPX for some years now. But I just drop the same amount in there every month rather than try to look for the low points. Seems like to get any advantage by filling it all up Jan 1, the share price would have to rise significantly during the next 12 months, and not drop. Might happen, might not, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

I just found out I'll have the option of a Roth 403(b) next year. I don't think I understand all the permutations of traditional vs. Roth, so I'm not sure what to do about it. I think that if my contributions to the Roth are taxed at the same percentage as my withdrawals from the traditional, there is no difference. But my contributions to the Roth right now would be taxed at my current marginal rate - so if my IRA is my only source of income at retirement, even if my marginal rate is the same then, the overall tax rate is lower. Therefore if this is the scenario I expect, I should use the traditional IRA. Is this right, or am I talking out my rear end? I am nowhere close to maxing out my 403(b) contributions right now, so that's not a factor.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

You need to specify the contribution year. Usually there is a checkbox or something for the purpose.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Does it not gain you more in the long run to apply it to your mortgage principal instead?

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

You specify which year when you put it in. Actually I don't know if you can open an IRA now and make a 2008 contribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

The share price changes over time, hopefully upward. If it's worth more when you sell it than when you bought it, you have capital gains (not interest earnings).