Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Febtober posted:

I guess I'm looking for something "easy" to invest in myself. I currently have a Roth IRA set up with Vanguard with about $12k in it that's maxed out for the year. I'm also contributing 3% (the maximum my company matches) into a 401k from work, although it's worth mentioning that I don't really plan on being there long enough to get the full vesting from it.

My checking account usually has >$10k in it and I feel like it should be out doing something, but I don't really know what. The only thing I can think of is to increase my 401k contributions, but like I said, I don't plan on being at my current employer long enough to see the matching.

I'm 24 so it's okay if I don't see this money for a long time.

Go out and spend it?

Seriously, if your IRA is maxed, and you're getting the maximum 401(k) match from your employer, and you still have $10k just sitting around, take a vacation or something.

It's great to save up for the future (which you're well ahead of the curve on), but you shouldn't be sacrificing your present to have a cushy retirement. You're 24, go to Vegas and blow a few thousand dollars; travel the world for a few weeks; lay on a beach in the Caribbean for a week and don't think about anything.

For a 24-year old, you're absolutely loaded; live it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Regnevelc posted:

I reallocated my portfolio based on some reading I did online at some websites. I invested more in the Global and International Funds and put money into the small companies. I have until tomorrow at 11:00PM to delete this reallocation and do something else. I had one guy comment that I should just shove all of my money into the 2050 (2045 in my case) fund and let it go. What do people think.

code:
   	   	Asset Allocation  	                        OLD     NEW
	    Target Retirement Fund Income 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Target Retirement Fund 2010 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Target Retirement Fund 2015 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Target Retirement Fund 2020 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Target Retirement Fund 2025 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Target Retirement Fund 2030 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Target Retirement Fund 2035 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Target Retirement Fund 2040 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Target Retirement Fund 2045 	100.00% 	15.00% 	10% 	 
	    Target Retirement Fund 2050 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Balanced Fund 	                100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
  	Stocks 	                                        OLD     NEW
	    Enhanced Equity Index Fund 	100.00% 	0.00% 	0% 	 
	    Large Cap Core Plus Fund 	100.00% 	25.00% 	10% 	 
	    Large Cap Value Fund 	100.00% 	10.00% 	5% 	 
	    Large Cap Growth Fund 	100.00% 	15.00% 	5% 	 
	    Global Equity Fund 	        100.00% 	0.00% 	20% 	 
	    International Equity Fund 	100.00% 	10.00% 	25% 	 
	    Small Cap Core Fund 	100.00% 	5.00% 	5% 	 
	    Small Cap Value Fund 	100.00% 	5.00% 	5% 	 
	    Small Cap Growth Fund 	100.00% 	5.00% 	5% 	 
	    ITT Stock Fund 	         20.00% 	10.00% 	10% 	 
  	Total 	  	                                        100%

If you're looking for something where you can just "set it and forget it," just use one of the Target Funds. There's no point at all in putting only a portion of the money in there, since it's just a collection of their other funds anyway.

If you want to actively manage it, though, go ahead and spread it around.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Harminoff posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask in, but think it kind of fits.

I went to my banks site today to check my statements, and noticed that they have a program called a change-up savings account. Pretty much, every purchase I make on my debit card gets rounded up to the next dollar, and the difference will be automatically deposited into my Change-Up Savings account that earns a special savings rate.

I use my debit card for every transaction, instead of cash, and this seems like a good way to save some extra money. The rate is at 3.72%, regular savings is at .45 so it is a lot higher. The only thing is that I cannot deposit into this account, the only money going in is the rounded amount.

Is there any reason to avoid this kind of account at all?

It sounds phenomenal, so I'd look into if there are any restrictions on it (besides the usual withdrawal limits on a savings account), but otherwise, I can't imagine there being a ton of drawbacks.

(Unless you're the sort of person who's going to post another thread about how MY STUPID BANK OVERDRAFTED ME AND NOW THEY'RE CHARGING FEES WTF BANKS ARE SUCH BULLSHIT!!!!)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

One of the perks of my current employment is that I can take 3% of my pay and buy company stock, which the company then matches. (This is in addition to the 401(k), not in lieu of it.) I haven't touched it in a few years, and now the amount in company stock is between 20 and 25 thousand dollars. Since that's a lot to have in one specific stock, and since I'm only putting 6% into my 401(k), I could definitely stand to have more socked away.

I've basically been treating this company stock as almost like a savings account, just shoving money in and forgetting about it. Am I correct in understanding that I could sell $11,000 worth in January, open a Roth IRA, and make both the 2015 and 2016 $5500 contributions at the same time? Am I also correct in understanding that, since it would be post-tax, that $11,000 is still freely available to me to withdraw, even before the 5-year rule, before I'm 59 1/2, and when I'm not buying a house yet (as long as I'm just withdrawing the $11,000 deposit and not any of the gains).

If that's all correct, does that even sound like a good idea? It seems like moving my moderately-sized pile of cash from a fairly volatile single equity and into something more diversified, while still maintaining access to use the money if I need it doesn't have a downside (other than suddenly realizing a few grand in capital gains... oh poor me).

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Taking your Roth IRA principal is not "free" in the sense that if you loot your account you lose the tax advantaged contribution forever. If you're saving for a house don't do it in your IRA.

That's true; maybe I'll just make it a 1-year IRA contribution and move a bunch into another account, like a savings account or some other sort of investment fund.